Closed Thread

Old December 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Moderators?

It seems this site is turning into an uncontrolled mess. Is nobody moderating it any more? It feels like a bad mix between dweb and Pirate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
It seems this site is turning into an uncontrolled mess. Is nobody moderating it any more? It feels like a bad mix between dweb and Pirate.
I agree. Something is amiss. Lately things have gone awry...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:55 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I agree with John B. We need more thought police and censorship here. I vote we hire Kim Jong Eun. Keep the riff raff out I say!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Do we really want all of our thoughts and opinions censored like on other forums where your thoughts or views may be deleted and you banned? I for one think that is a very bad thing. If you don't like what's happening then you don't have to open up a thread, there are still plenty of great threads that are for ages 3+.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's not about censorship, it's about respecting others and not being a dick for no reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
It's not about censorship, it's about respecting others and not being a dick for no reason.
So what gets "censored" and what doesn't? I know some sellers have taken a lot of flack lately, but I for one would rather know the truth about what's going on and make a decision from there. [EDIT] If you can afford to buy and run these trucks you're obviously old enough to make decisions on your own and you may have come here to make sure you get a great truck.[EDIT] Are we going to delete all the Barry Chanakuh comments because they are a little insensitive or Neil's night escapades because there may be some bad words, naked girls with guns and wet fingers? What crosses the line and what doesn't? Censorship and regulation is a very slippery slope... There's always LRO.

I don't mean this to be rude or mean, just trying to make some points.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No, I am saying we don't censor at all. You just have to be a grown up. I run another forum myself, and if you are a dick, you get booted. Simple. And yes, I decide who's a dick. In 5 years I have never booted anyone.

Semper Fi!
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Agreed, this site has really regressed.

Doug said the following in Neil's thread (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384) recently:

"Chris doesn't own this site any more and the new owners are @ work establishing/defining a code of ethics that will exclude behaviour such as displayed in this thread. Just a heads up to clean it up if you wish to continue to play in this sandbox."

Doug, care to fill us in?
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
No, I am saying we don't censor at all. You just have to be a grown up. I run another forum myself, and if you are a dick, you get booted. Simple. And yes, I decide who's a dick. In 5 years I have never booted anyone.
I see your point, and respect it, but don't necessarily agree with all of it.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I just want people to play within the rules. See here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1307

Normally different areas of a forum are for different things.....

The Chit-Chat area would normally be open to say whatever you wish as long as you are not throwing personal attacks. The technical areas should remain technical. The classified section should be for selling stuff....

There used to be reasonable moderation around here.

Some snips from the guidelines that are being broken on a daily basis....
Quote:
Please be respectful to other users and avoid personal attacks. Respect constructive input or opinions of other forum members just as you would like yours to be.

Debates, cross discussions, and disagreements are bound to happen. Please try to remain calm should you find yourself in a heated thread.

Trolling, flaming, and attacks on other Members or Vendors, will not be tolerated.

Please do not hi-jack other members Technical or Classified threads.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Everyone should read this, "Being a Gentleman in the Age of the Internet: 6 Ways to Bring Civility Online"

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/13...vility-online/
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The moderators are enjoying the holiday season and not spending all day on D-90, but I'll look into it. Other than chapman being his usual asshole self, and the sporadic Neil/Barry/Horsey nonsense, what other stuff looks like the site is out of control?
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Deleting Chapman's account would go a long way...
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I just want people to play within the rules. See here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1307

Normally different areas of a forum are for different things.....

The Chit-Chat area would normally be open to say whatever you wish as long as you are not throwing personal attacks. The technical areas should remain technical. The classified section should be for selling stuff....

There used to be reasonable moderation around here.

Some snips from the guidelines that are being broken on a daily basis....
x2. There are certainly ways set up to bash current For Sale threads on this forum. If, for example, you do not like a particular for sale thread's vehicle, carry it over to Misc Chit Chat and start a new thread on it. You'll still get your message/opinion out or what have you, and a full discussion regarding said vehicle can be hashed out.

It would stand to reason that if one followed the sticky threads at the top of each sub-section, and Hell...if they even slipped up from time to time, there would be absolutely no reason for recourse.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by red90 View Post
deleting chapman's account would go a long way...
fact
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red90
deleting chapman's account would go a long way...
..x2

Semper Fi!
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
Everyone should read this, "Being a Gentleman in the Age of the Internet: 6 Ways to Bring Civility Online"
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post

You would first need to be a gentleman in real life. I'm guessing some of these people act this way face to face as well.
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Deleting Chapman's account would go a long way...
I have never met Dan and my only exposure to him has been online here at D-90, but this is the absolute worst thing you can do to this site. His tone and attitude may not be to everyone's taste, but you can't deny the fact that he knows his Rovers and once you filter out the attitude, his posts are actually informative (sometimes just as informative as yours). If you have a hard time filtering out his attitude, just put him on your ignore list - you will never see his posts again. Personally I think I can learn from both you and Dan.

Once you start with the bans, it's a very slippery slope and you quickly end up with an overly sanitized mutual adoration fest like Expedition Portal.

I'm a firm believer of freedom of speech - even if it offends me.

My 2 cents.
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
I have never met Dan and my only exposure to him has been online here at D-90, but this is the absolute worst thing you can do to this site. His tone and attitude may not be to everyone's taste, but you can't deny the fact that he knows his Rovers and once you filter out the attitude, his posts are actually informative (sometimes just as informative as yours). If you have a hard time filtering out his attitude, just put him on your ignore list - you will never see his posts again. Personally I think I can learn from both you and Dan.

Once you start with the bans, it's a very slippery slope and you quickly end up with an overly sanitized mutual adoration fest like Expedition Portal.

I'm a firm believer of freedom of speech - even if it offends me.

My 2 cents.
I agree with this. Well put.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mod, moderator