Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Closed Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers View Post
D-90 is slowly turning into an upmarket version of Discoweb! Not good.
A lot of no-bullshit tech and little tolerance for butt-hurt crybabies?

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers View Post
D-90 is slowly turning into an upmarket version of Discoweb! Not good.
Up market? Why is that? Is it because so many pay too much for vehicles on this site?
I nominate Disco Mike as moderator. He is moderator over LRO, LRR and several other sites where he is really a big big cheese.
He'll have this site whipped into shape in no time and any time someone has a question they can call him! Really! He's that great of a guy!
What's nice is that if someone says something you don't like, you can complain to him and he can have them banned!!!! Isn't that great?!!! Why have some one disagreeing with you? Why take a little ribbing or even down right insults (because your mommy says you should never have to wear big boy pants because someone will always be there to take care of you!) when you can have the offending person just banned?
This way everyone here can be shoulder rubbing buddies with the same ideas on how their over priced vehicles should be.
Face it guys, the only content on this site is, "I saw a Defender today at the coffee shop, who was it?"
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bottom line is that this is a privately owned website with international/worldwide membership. Our "inalienable rights" as Americans don't apply unless the new "silent" owner chooses to let them. I guess the fact that there has been less moderation since that ownership changed hands would indicate that perhaps it will denegrate and that the number of daily hits will decline as a result. I don't think there has ever been a problem with people disagreeing or even arguing on this site as long as all parties behave like adults. Its when things get juvenile that some moderation would be appropriate. Make your point like a man. No need to talk about mothers,sisters, man batter etc thats an immature/ inarticulate mans method. I personally have an extremely quick temper. If I have an issue I @ least take it direct via pm or email.
Chris's rule was that you don't snipe in a for sale thread. Jim and Charles used to moderate that to an extent and just lock threads when things got out of hand. That has also seemingly gone the way of the dinosaurs with the ownership change.
Since this was purchased as a for profit vehicle and the only way that makes any sense is if ownership charges a fee to access the site or makes it an advertising bill board, one would think they would like to keep daily traffic up. I for one don't like over moderated websites like Expedition Portal but also don't much care for sites where there is no moderation like disco web either-thats me. Others may like the like milk toast environment on EP where a disagreement gets deleted or Discoweb where anyone can say anything. This site used to ride a pretty good balance between the two.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
Face it guys, the only content on this site is, "I saw a Defender today at the coffee shop, who was it?"
I would make that line my signature. But I'm too tired.
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

So what is chris doing nowadays?

Robert Deniro
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
So what is chris doing nowadays?
Hopefully swimming in a pile of cash

No disrespect towards Chris. He did a great job in nurturing the site to this point. I have only been a member/owner for a few years now, but this site has been invaluable.
phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Doug,
If you don't like seeing comments in the For Sale threads, purpose that the thread be locked after the OP makes his post so no other comments can me made other than PM or email. Simple.

All the slapping high-fives and kudos does no one any good. If the truck is over priced, IMO, the seller deserves a reality check. If the truck is a rusty pile of shit, like most coming in from the UK, and the seller does not want to admit to that, they deserve a reality check. If people want to pawn off $10k 300TDi swaps, they too deserve a reality check.

I don't know who set the standard for the prices some of these trucks and conversations sell for. ECR? Copley? I don't know. But the fact is Tom, Dick, and Harry can do a 300 swap, but it's not going to be the caliber of what ECR does, yet Tom, Dick, and Harry want the same price as ECR for the swap. Very few people are capable of doing what ECR does. ECR employs a team of mechanics and fabricators who have the ability to do things right, in addition to a proven track record. If a single person were to do what ECR does, it would take months-and-months to complete the job(s). So all these $15 and $20k rust buckets coming in from overseas are a joke. What funnier is when one of these importers slaps a Macco paint job on the rust bucket and adds another $8k to the price. I don't blame the guys for trying and succeeding for the most part, but don't get your panties in a wad when someone calls you out for ripping people off.

That's what makes website like this survive. You get an honest opinion of a part or vehicle from people who've seen it before. If you feel you would like to compromise, it's not because you did not have all the facts. If you see the value in a 6.2NA powered D-90, go for it; if not, move on.
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dan you are missing it. Its not about calling a spade a spade, its about how handle yourself doing it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Do you think I would say it any differently face-to-face? That truck is a pile of shit, plain and simple.
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:45 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Anotherwords if the chatter becomes very low class it reflects on all of us here, poorly. Even if the message is true and good.

You can still find a way to out the oppurtunists, Dan. Maybe just find a few more choice words to use. It does take more effort then your current manner. But many here would seem to appreciate that you make that effort.

Let me share something with you that my Yankee grandfather said to me recently. "It's more important, 'what is right' then 'who is right'" I know you are a person that lives his life by this thought Dan, while others can not see past the surly tone and low class words in your banter. Try harder to make then happy.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

If a truck is a turd, Pendy, it's a turd. No politically correct way to put it.
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Really? Personally I'm quite sure he acts very purposely like a prick because he craves the attention. It fills a large gaping hole in his life.
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

What we have hear is a failure to communicate.

Old December 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Really? Personally I'm quite sure he acts very purposely like a prick because he craves the attention. It fills a large gaping hole in his life.
Yeah, I crave it. Can't live without it.

Are you part French? I bet you are.
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
My ONLY beefs with the FOR SALE slapping are as follows:

A : On whose eyes it ( not talking about the 6.2 ) is the vehicle indeed overpriced? I mean the person who brought it, invested the time, money, risk associated, etc. or the casual person that has no interest in the vehicle but proceeds to have it dissected?

Perception is Reality? not really, ( indeed it is the Mother of all screw ups ), since my perception and someone else's could be different, and we know there are no different realities.

B : When a FOR SALE Vehicle gets dragged through the mud, and the OP decides to post the unit for sale i.e. Cars.com, AutoTrader, etc and a potential buyer goggles for a comparable unit, all the crap we type here becomes available and hence, possibly hindering the sale.

C : Finally those that have WAY too much time on their hands, and bring to the forum Vehicles for sale posted in different venues, CERTAINLY the seller chose not be bother with our comments and posting it for sale somewhere else, so WTF are we to drag it here and lambasted it ?

Go for it, putting the NOMEX suit on
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why bother having any rules on the board at all?

Dan

You should make sure to post your opinion on every single vehicle for sale to be fair. Something tells me there are certain people you don't shit on because they are your boys. This 6.2 isn't the first shitbox listed here.
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT110 View Post
What we've got here is failure to communicate.
There's some men you just can't reach.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I can eat 50 eggs.

-Jeff
Are you a Sumo wrestler?
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
My ONLY beefs with the FOR SALE slapping are as follows:

A : On whose eyes it ( not talking about the 6.2 ) is the vehicle indeed overpriced? I mean the person who brought it, invested the time, money, risk associated, etc. or the casual person that has no interest in the vehicle but proceeds to have it dissected?

Perception is Reality? not really, ( indeed it is the Mother of all screw ups ), since my perception and someone else's could be different, and we know there are no different realities.
Take the same truck, same condition, same mileage. One has a salvage title and the other does not. Which one is worth more?

If we use your eyes both are equal.

But come on, what's reality?
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
Up market? Why is that? Is it because so many pay too much for vehicles on this site?
I nominate Disco Mike as moderator. He is moderator over LRO, LRR and several other sites where he is really a big big cheese.
He'll have this site whipped into shape in no time and any time someone has a question they can call him! Really! He's that great of a guy!
What's nice is that if someone says something you don't like, you can complain to him and he can have them banned!!!! Isn't that great?!!! Why have some one disagreeing with you? Why take a little ribbing or even down right insults (because your mommy says you should never have to wear big boy pants because someone will always be there to take care of you!) when you can have the offending person just banned?
This way everyone here can be shoulder rubbing buddies with the same ideas on how their over priced vehicles should be.

Just email DiscoMike your phone number. He will call you right back
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mod, moderator