Mission Impossible - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Beluga '97 90
Just got back from the movie and I too noticed that there were possibly two trucks in it. One had the full doors and no basket on the SD rack. Other had half doors and the full SD rack set up. Possibly shot scenes in Dubai and here in the US.

Originally Posted by rijosho
-I need to figure out a cooler-looking way of getting into the driver's seat

--> http://d-90.com/forum/showpost.php?p...&postcount=216
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:20 PM
joe heins
1995 defender 90
Could be they filmed it in the US using NAS? It sure looked like Abu Dabi, but you never know. enjoyed the pic

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
barry f
94 ST #395
Threads need to be merged. It is explained on one of them.
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
The interior shots with the roll-up windows are in a SW (see pic of the girl below). My guess....they probably used a Saudi Spec (a.k.a., NAS, a.k.a., Japanese spec) 90 Wagon for shooting some of the interior driving sequences. The wagon probably didn't have a rack on it at all (too much wind noise for the mic's).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mi4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	45828  

Please feel free to visit my website at: http://defenderofdefenders.com
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM
1995 SW #487/500
Or maybe a st with sw doors
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Or maybe a st with sw doors
Possible, but the latches and catches are different, so it would have been a semipermanent swap.

Old January 8th, 2012, 10:58 PM
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212
Well... I don't know much about fixing Defenders but I work in the entertainment business and know the guys who made this movie and sort of how this stuff works.

Those scenes WERE shot in Dubai. More than likely, they had rented a fleet of D90's (either in Dubai or from LA)... probably not all matching... just all white. They would never trust to only have 1 hero car... most likely 3. Plus additional for stunt driving and background. Any driving shot with the actors talking would have been done on a process trailer or green screen (meaning the engine isn't on) so sound is not an issue... or they would just "loop" their lines later. They shoot plenty in convertibles and 18-wheelers.

For the continuity discrepancy, most likely the scene with Tom Cruise in it would have been shot one day... and on a totally other day, they'd shoot the exterior stuff with a B-unit that the actors wouldn't even have been at. It would be doubles just sitting in the car so you could keep the days with the top talent to a minimum. No point in having them on set if you aren't shooting their FACES. Tom Cruise makes A LOT of money per day. It's very possible they shot all the "talking" scenes in a stage with green screen inside Defender A and then shot all the matching exterior driving with a Defender B.

The budget for the film was roughly 145 mil. Even if their transpo costs was only 1 percent... imagine how many you could RENT... not buy. They have no use for those trucks after the movie wraps. So all rented. Except knowing Tom Cruise... he'd probably took one home with him.

The guy in LA who was selling it most likely owns or works at a transpo company that stocks 1000's of different picture cars. Trying to unload a car that won't be in demand... or at least... need as many has he might have. Much more demand for Crown Vic police cars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat