Old May 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
People here keep supporting their business one way or another. They sold a 110 tilt here this morning. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post636150
I have no idea why. I'd be too embarrassed to pop my head up. I'd either be offering a huge mea culpa or laying low and hoping my business would recover. On the other hand, the Russians have shown that if you BS people often enough and brazenly enough, you can alter the truth.

I maintain there is no way to lose a VIN tag and maintain an ounce of professional credibility. It's not like this was a tag on a replacement panel, this was the primary body VIN tag (with the compliance sticker rhino-lined over right?).

Some states don't require titles for cars as new as 15 years. I suspect this VIN is already on another bulkhead somewhere or in someone's "collection" in a lockbox waiting for an opportunity to present itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
UPDATE for the archives: just picked up my fancy new dash VIN plate from LRNA. It took 3 months, and cost $206.06. The dealership is checking on how much labor they'll need to install. If they have to pull the windscreen, I'll wait until I have to replace it OR have a problem not having my dash VIN. Until then it'll go into the safe. If I get an estimate on labor, I'll update for the records.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-315194580.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	120485  
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:47 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Congrats. There is no way to install without pulling the windshield. I haven't looked closely but I thought you had to remove the windshield frame to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2015, 10:54 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Congrats. There is no way to install without pulling the windshield. I haven't looked closely but I thought you had to remove the windshield frame to do it.
Yep..sure do..
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Well, that settles that...I guess I'm waiting. I've got a heated windscreen installed, and I'm just going to assume that its better to not mess with it than to pull it and take a chance. (Unless I'm being overly cautious.) I wouldn't mind putting the issue to bed, but its close enough for me to sleep at night now.

On the brightside, now I have nifty hologram's on my new dash VIN.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:39 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Well, that settles that...I guess I'm waiting. I've got a heated windscreen installed, and I'm just going to assume that its better to not mess with it than to pull it and take a chance. (Unless I'm being overly cautious.) I wouldn't mind putting the issue to bed, but its close enough for me to sleep at night now. On the brightside, now I have nifty hologram's on my new dash VIN.
Since you have to pull frame it's less likely to break than pulling glass.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Also I assume the shop should pay for the mistake so who cares what the work is. Have it done.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I wonder if they'll find the old one hiding in there when they install the new VIN.
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:59 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Also I assume the shop should pay for the mistake so who cares what the work is. Have it done.
^^^^ Get the work completed now. Assuming you already have a resolution from ULC in writing to cover the VIN install.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
That is quite an assumption. Has Dave offered to pay, or would it be an argument/negotiation? Its still hard to fathom that it was 'lost'.

-Jeff

I assume nothing. I should say I would want them to pay. Whether they will or not I have no clue.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Dave agreed to a lot of things, but did not deliver on most of them. I have already done a very large and substantial credit card dispute that was issued in my favor. BUT despite everything I was extremely fair with the amount and only disputed a portion of my build cost that was required to fix the immediate mechanical issues. Had I pushed it to the limit, it may have taken longer or gone in a different direction. I just didn't want to be completely out of pocket for every duplicate dollar.

ULC and I have long since parted ways, I'm just trying to resolve these problems in the most expeditious manner. Everyone should assume I'm eating the $500 cost to replace and install this VIN. (also an update for the archive's)
Old May 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I'm really glad your truck will be whole again and it's all working out...Even if the original offender isn't helping!! I definitely know one vendor who will definitely never get any work from me...
Old May 12th, 2015, 02:35 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Thanks for the update. Glad it's finally over with ulc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dash, nas, vin