Missing NAS Dash VIN plate - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 11th, 2015, 09:14 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Why is the paint textured? Poor prep or is it supposed to look like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2015, 09:20 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Here's a poor picture of said sticker.

Protected forever....encased in carbonite. (Some of you got the reference.)
IMO, that is worse than missing the VIN plate. It is plausible that the VIN plate was misplaced then erroneously tossed. Good chance that can be replaced as others have said. But to spray over the mfr's decal w/ the pertinent DOT and NHTSA required info? That is on every car on these roads (except grey market imports)? That is completely idiotic. There is zero excuses for that.
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Since you have to source a new VIN plate, try for a new sticker too. Hopefully the person / company you find can do both. Good luck!
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
The paint is textured because it's the dreaded rhino line. Since we had it apart I had them rhino the high traffic areas. That part I was actually very happy with....except for their poor prep regarding the sticker.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
The paint is textured because it's the dreaded rhino line. Since we had it apart I had them rhino the high traffic areas. That part I was actually very happy with....except for their poor prep regarding the sticker.
Can't this sticker be replaced though?
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That is not true. We replace them all the time at the dealership when we replace dash boards. Sometimes techs forget to order the VIN sticker when they order the dash, but it can be ordered later. It takes about a month to get and requires a lot of signatures. I just don't know if they are available for the NAS Defenders.
I think JimC's point is that the loss is something the person / person's who lost it needs to be accountable.

Jimmy in your case you are describing how the dealerships do take accountability and resolve the loss / destruction of these items.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
The purpose of this thread is to find out how (and how much) replacement of the VIN and sticker is going to cost. Once I establish that, I can add it to my rather large list of disputes.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:20 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I was able to order both through the dealer. They are holding on to my sticker, and have been for 3 years, until I can get the vehicle over there to be inspected. Every time I am over there for a part, they joke around about it. I have really gotta get this thing back on the road.

Just noticed the cost side of question. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it was not much. Conservatively questimating that it was something between $35-50. Been so long I cant recall, but I do remember being pleasantly surprised.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:03 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

You need to very carefully remove the paint over the vin sticker plate... Start with something very "soft" like goof off and then mineral spirits etc.. Don't go right in with lacquer thinner.. Even try a mild polish..
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:08 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
You need to very carefully remove the paint over the vin sticker plate... Start with something very "soft" like goof off and then mineral spirits etc.. Don't go right in with lacquer thinner.. Even try a mild polish..
There is no chance of him not destroying that sticker if he tries to remove the rhino. I guess they didn't do a thick coat if you can see thru it.

I would leave it and just go to the dealer. Have them inspect and order new.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
DEET will remove that paint toot-sweet!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
whatever you try don't peel the outer clear layer off the decal, its an anti tamper decal and it will ruin it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:26 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Barry is correct... You may want to go and have an official at the local DMV inspect and verify and document the sticker before you try to remove the paint, that way if it doesn't go optimal you have backup for any disputes..

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2015 11:27 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I draw the line at Chitty Chitty Bang Bang quotes. Even I have standards.

-Jeff
Yeah, but that ain't one of them....your "standards". .aren't standard..
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I draw the line at Chitty Chitty Bang Bang quotes. Even I have standards.

-Jeff
eatable, tweetable treat hater!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I think I'll leave it as is for now, in the hopes of getting a replacement sticker with a replacement VIN plate. At this point, its at least somewhat legible and protected by a coat of rhino line. There for anyone to verify if need be.
Even if I can get a new VIN plate, I'd have to have the windshield removed to have it installed. And since I had a heated windshield installed, I really don't want to fool with it until I have to.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:38 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is a company that for body shops will recreate the stickers. Google it.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:56 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
IIRC the VIN is affixed to the actual bulkhead, so even a dash upgrade should not have involved its removal. Also, with all the shenanigans involving Defender VINs, if a shop which imported Defenders lost my VIN plate, my first call would be to the authorities, not a tag replacement service. I would give the shop a very short time to find my plate and return it.

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
IIRC the VIN is affixed to the actual bulkhead, so even a dash upgrade should not have involved its removal. Also, with all the shenanigans involving Defender VINs, if a shop which imported Defenders lost my VIN plate, my first call would be to the authorities, not a tag replacement service. I would give the shop a very short time to find my plate and return it.
As far as I'm aware, there's not really anything you could do with a VIN plate that belongs to a vehicle that is already registered and titled in the US. That lack of a VIN plate makes the legitimate vehicle slightly harder to identify, but there's a reason it's not the only one on the truck.

Now if you were building a 'NAS' truck for export, you might have a need for one if your buyer thought he was receiving a real-deal truck. Not making any suggestions, but that's about the only reason I could think one might go missing unless someone just happens to enjoy collecting them.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

You don't think that was my first and second course of action?? Can't get blood from a stone....and it wasn't getting resolved, so I'm taking matters into my own hands.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dash, nas, vin