Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Really? Slow, safe and sticks out like a sore thumb... What else could you want?
No one has done crash ratings on a Defender? I can't seem to find anything online. Look I agree that they are safe but teens do stupid shit...i used to be one. Defenders are pretty easy to flip even compared to like a Jeep JK and I worry about passengers getting hurt in the back seat. Kids are going to break the no friends in the car rule...side jump seats can't rate well for injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I agree; forward rear seat in mine. That said, the really great thing about Defenders is their weight. They're like riding in a truck. No contest and it saved my wife, quite literally although granted she was in a Range Rover when she was t-boned. Is there much difference in weight between each? Weight is important, I think.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
My wife has an '03 Cooper and loves it but I would go with '04 and up due to some early bugs. She was rear ended back in June. The '07 accord that hit her was totaled yet she drove the Mini home. Will probably upgrade to a S convertible one of these days.
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:41 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Love/Hate relationship with VWs. The newer ones (MK5 and on) are a pain to work on, and they will need workin' on.

I keep trying to buy a Mini JCW as my commuter but life keeps getting in the way. I wouldn't give one to my kid though. Crash test ratings are nice until a full size pickup comes through the rear end. And even the base Mini's are fast enough (in corners) to lull a young driver to sleep.
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Shes 16 - a 1980-something Ford LTD, Ford Taurs Station Wagon, Caprice Classic - etc

these are cars that 16 year old should have in my opinion, Huge, Safe, Slow, can fit alot of crap in it, and typically its all they can afford.
(for me it was a 1993 Ford Taurus Station Wagon, which wasn't AS badd in 2000 when I turned 16 )

_sorry i have no real useful information towards your question about a mini though
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:51 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Put her in a 90's vintage Range Rover. Forgiving, plush, and safe as can be. Really, there isn't much out there that can do it much damage, and even in a wreck most of the time they are the winner. And, it's a Land Rover, so you can use many of the same Defender bits on it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Colorado winters, we live in the foothills and the drive to HS requires a notoriously dangerous stretch of I-70 (over 400 accidents/year in a 7 mile stretch). A good friend once asked me if I really wanted to be frugal when considering a 1st car for my daughter (though we could probably have bought anything, we wanted understated, used…cars with “feedback” so drivers don’t become too complacent).
- (now 20) we chose to buy our daughter (Audi A4 quattro) a safe, quick, agile car, which was good in the snow and she felt good about owning. 2nd week of driving required that she swerve (between guardrail & car) around a sliding car which hit the guard rail, then got t-boned by an 18 wheeler…she made it around. More than once she reported how fortunate she was driving a car that she felt in control of…
- (now 18) son’s 1’st was a ’95 SWB (air bags), lifted with “Tread-right” tires…like glue on the ice; no handling whatsoever, he loves his RR. He appreciated having to learn the limitations of the RR and felt he was more aware of other drivers because he had to “anticipate” driving conditions.

Two very different choices, two different driving personalities. Both kids starting driving before they were 10, wheeling, occasional shifter carts (80 mph); by 16, they could drive a 911 well, negotiate rock gardens…what they lacked was road experience...anticipating bad drivers/behavior.

We (including the kids) do most all our own work…so fixing the little things that add up to $$$ doesn't annoy us too much.
-wife drives '05 Mini "S"; 68K as her summer car-no problems at all; winter/wheeling ’99 Disco II 148K, never has let us down. (note that we did not think the Dicso II was safe for our daughter)
-daughters 1st car; '02 Audi A4; very safe; paid $10K @ 84K miles, required T-belt, window lifts, minor work over 4 yrs…still drives it @ 138 K…has been a great car; ABS needs attention.
-sons; RR paid $1,800 135K (Rovers North pg 10, Dec); typical RR maintenance; winter car & wheeling; His daily driver; an $8K, excellent cond., 108K, ’98 BMW M3…responsibly? Very safe…very fast, agile.

L 322, D-90, ’95 911 C4, VW Vanagon are the other drivers in the garage…

Bottom line; big SUV’s are heavy, safe-on-impact, offer little feedback, and we see them flipped over all the time; agile, quick cars are great if you have experience driving them fast/properly…comes down to driving experience, personalities, and the type of roads... BMW’s are great, VW’s, Audi’s, even American brands...I am a believer that the more you are required to “drive” the car, the safer the driver you will be…
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
beachrover
Brian
97 hard top

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Would any of you really put a 16 year old kid in a Defender?
my dad put me in one and my brother and i walked away from a pretty serious accident. i'm also probable one of my only friends without several speeding tickets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:19 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Avoid 80's cars and 90's suvs without airbags...you MUST put your kid in a car with an airbag...does not matter how big or heavy it is...in a head-on crash their organs will decelerate slower than their skull/chest and cause them to rip apart.

In a head-on high-speed crash with ANYHTING (wall/semi/etc.) I would rather be in a mini-cooper than a 1990 Range Rover or any 1980s LTD/Caprice/Etc.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

One issue that I have found with owning at least a 2011 Jetta TDI is getting it fixed after a crash. Took 2 1/2 months for mine to get fixed. Waiting on parts to ship and such. Hope that parts are more available for older Jettas.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:23 PM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

mini vs jetta

I 'll try and stick to your question, i leased a mini for 3 years and never had an issue. I bought my son a 2000 Jetta for his first car cause i thought the would be dependable.
The day we drove home the drivers window fell into the door, the next month the timing chain broke, the next month the brake light shorted out. This went on and on for two years. I left it on the side of the road near boston, After getting help from Kieth with road side assitance.
While i agree a bigger car would be my first choice, i wood run from any car made from VW.
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Mabye this will help. If your getting a new one covered with warranty than I'd say that would be the safest way to go. If your getting an early one like 02 and up, I would choose another car. My friend owns the largest buy here pay here used car lot in East Los Angeles/City of Commerce, he told me he stays away from selling used minis becaue they are predictably problematic and the cost of the parts to fix them are not profit worthy. The transmission (his cost) cost $2700 to rebiuld on an early mini. It has a very expensive electric power steering pump as well and that always goes out.

Robert Deniro
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
My daughter is about to turn 16 so I am looking at good starter cars.
Probably something like a used Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 if you want something taller. Get something with four doors. Small tires.

Something that is cheap to fix and maintain. Mini's are not. Neither are VW's, BMW's, Mercedes, etc.
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I sell Mini parts also. The 2002 was a horrible year after that they got better. 2005 and up are much better.

I was in a rather bad wreck in one in 2004. I was hit head on while going well over 50mph by a person that ran a stop sign and made a short left directly into my lane. I was sore for weeks but the car did its job and I walked away with just a few scrapes from all the broken glass.

I would recommend a Mini IMO

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old February 28th, 2012, 11:51 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I thought about the Honda, Toyota thing but I have seen first hand what happens to one of those Japanese cars in a high speed impact and it is enough to turn your stomach. I am surprised though, not one person said "put her in a Disco"
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Yes! A good clean 2004 Disco is a great option. A super clean low mileage one can be had for under $20,000.
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
dav1550
Dave Morgan
74 SIII 109sw / 00 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I thought about the Honda, Toyota thing but I have seen first hand what happens to one of those Japanese cars in a high speed impact and it is enough to turn your stomach. I am surprised though, not one person said "put her in a Disco"
Daughter #1@ 16 who desperately wanted a Mini ……put her in a nice used BMW 325i ,,,,,(It was re-ended and totaled), Followed with a Sion xA , the proverbial small Japanese car,,,,, Stalled in traffic on the Charlotte beltway on the way back up to Carolina she was rear-ended again by a mid-size car estimated doing more than 60 forcing / sandwiching her between the stationary car in front……….Jayz, it was like you said ,,,,,,,It was a horrific sight that still haunts me to this day….....Fortunately she walked away with only deep bruising. Yes the little car folded-up as designed, air bags deployed, all that kind-of safety features did what they were suppose to do and prevented grave harm………Yet it was my daughter and didn’t make me feel any much better.
Car # 3 ….used 04.VW Jetta …….It did fine and lasted through college with normal maintenance.
Car # 4 …….Masters in hand and a job, it was time to go shopping for that long awaited Mini ……..Wherein she went with a new Volvo C30.

Oh, and with
Daughter # 2, there was much less trauma …….Grandma’s Camry……..yes a real grocery and church driven ride that served well until she moved on to a new FJ cruiser that he longed for at the time…
Neither one was interested in the Disco…….I figure it’s because it was moms car,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat