Miami, Florida - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 9th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Miami, Florida

I'm moving to Miami and thought I would ask for opinions/advice for those who live there. The office is in the area of Weston. Where should I look? Where should I avoid? I have kids so schools are important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
jumpcutter
Chris
94 D90 #0252

Registry
Hey Paul,

The commute from the inhabitable parts of Miami (Dade county) to Weston (Broward county) will get old real quick. The western suburbs of Broward are nice- Coral Springs, Parkland, Southwest Ranches, even Weston. Their schools are rated much higher too. I live in the oldest neighborhood in Miami and love it, but the houses are tiny compared to Weston standards and not ideal for big families.
Drop me a line and I'll fill you in as best I can.
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

I'll second what Chris said. Try to avoid too much mileage between work and home. The traffic here is rediculous (miami) - not because there are any more cars than other big cities, but rather the level of inept drivers and 3rd world efficiency will blow your mind. Weston is nice - kind of like a relatively new suburbia with good schools and newer shopping centers etc. Southwest ranches would be my choice since its next to Weston, and has some incredible homes with huge lots - a bit more of a rustic feel - which is nice here in South FL. Just try and keep the commute in mind. My wife spends 1.5 hrs a day driving for work, and that's without traffic. At any given time, add an hour for a hiccup.

Chris, did you have your 90 parked on the street in the grove yesterday by Peacock Park? I saw a yellow 90 on the street as I was heading to Bayshore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Definitly don't avoid the beaches.....taking a picture in my head, ahhh!!! Palms and thongs!
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
jumpcutter
Chris
94 D90 #0252

Registry
Nope, I was up in Coral Springs with the 90 this weekend.
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Ohhh! I just thought of something else, becarefull when you are driving down there man!!......and I am not talking about your cell phone!
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I have many friends from Coral Springs and Weston. Both nice areas. Just plan to do a lot of driving like mentioned earlier, So Fla is very spread out. FWIW the places further inland towards the glades usually get more rain and earlier in the day during the summer thunderstorms
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Thanks for the input. As the move gets closer, I will probably bother you again. By the way, where do you guys take your Defender to wheel and what's it like?
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Davis View Post
By the way, where do you guys take your Defender to wheel and what's it like?
Can't tell you about South Florida, but like almost anywhere else in FL it will likely be all water and mud.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

That's what I was afraid of. I've been spoiled to some great places out this way.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM
goinsurfin
Jayson
06 LR3 HSE

Registry
Paul,

The Weston area is nice but far from the beaches. Weston is next to the everglades. I'm in Pinecrest-South Miami area. If you have kids and want to be close to the top schools, the majority are all located in the South Miami/Pinecrest area- Gulliver Academy, Lourdes, Epipahny, and Westminster and Ransom Everglades + Carollton (Coconut Grove), As for public schools, Pinecrest is at the top of the list. Weston public schools are good too.

As for driving, there are limited trails in the Big Cypress reserve. Muddy most of the year...

We have family in Weston and the drive north is not too bad- say 45 minutes. But I agree with everyone that posted, you will drive a lot in SFL. Close to me, there a few 90s, ROW 110s and a Black 110. PM me too you need further direction and welcome!

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
If the workplace is around Weston, living there is a no-brainer IMHO. Best place to live in FL, according to Money: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston,_Florida

I used to have a vacation condo there. Regret does not begin to describe how I feel about selling. Will buy again in a couple of years max. Only real peeve, beaches are not close. But take the 595, and Ft Lauderdale beach is about 20 mins away with no traffic. Than again, nothing seems to be close in South FL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat