Mexico Confiscating US Pick-up Trucks... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Mexico Confiscating US Pick-up Trucks...

This was linked over on Expo, but thought there may be a few interested in reading it over here as well...

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...an-diesel.html

There was some confusion about what an auxilary tank is, but it seems to refer to the 'in-bed' tanks that alot of pick-ups have, not secondary installed tanks that are part of the vehicles fuel system..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Oh come on how much crap do we have to take from Mexico. Southern California supports the economy... The only reason a truck would be impounded is for the federallies to quire a new vehicle. Our State Department so pathetically worthless... I know trade every wetback illegal crossing to gain medical or other social benefits for a seized PU truck... Whats a F350 worth 15 Men 2 Women and 2 small kids?
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
Oh come on how much crap do we have to take from Mexico. Southern California supports the economy... The only reason a truck would be impounded is for the federallies to quire a new vehicle. Our State Department so pathetically worthless... I know trade every wetback illegal crossing to gain medical or other social benefits for a seized PU truck... Whats a F350 worth 15 Men 2 Women and 2 small kids?
well, according to the article, theyjust started to enforce it, so i doubt its to acquire a truck. they could have been doing that for a while.

the owners are violating both mexican and us law. ef them. how friggin cheap can you be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Oh come on how much crap do we have to take from Mexico. Southern California supports the economy...
You should take it easy and remember that SCal. was mexican territory not so long ago...
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
...You should take it easy and remember that SCal. was mexican territory not so long ago...
Uh, I think not - unless you don't call 160 years a long time.

California was ceded by Mexico by the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo concluded Feb 2, 1848 and proclaimed July 4, 1848. CA became the 31st state on Sept 9, 1850.

If memory serves, is not that about the same time (1844?) that the Dominican Republic became an independent nation?
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM

If memory serves, is not that about the same time (1844?)
hoy cow, how old are you? been in any ann rice novels lately? :-)

but i agree. its been a state for quite some time, and even if its was merely 10 years, whazzit matter? mexico is mexico, and the us is the us.
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
You should take it easy and remember that SCal. was mexican territory not so long ago...
If I may make the suggestion, don't talk about things you know nothing about. SoCal is getting ravaged economically and socially by our friends to the south. I am willing to bet that for D90DRC, the Mexican government taking trucks feels like just another in a long line of “screw you”s that Mexico has lobbed at us.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:33 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm
hoy cow, how old are you? :-)

but i agree. its been a state for quite some time, and even if its was merely 10 years, whazzit matter? mexico is mexico, and the us is the us.
LOL - Sorry Zimm, I can see where my statement might be confusing. I'm not quite THAT old!

I agree with Buck. IMHO, we owe our neighbors to the south nothing.
As a native So. Californian, I think JFD's comment was a bit misplaced and not in good taste, that's all.
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Seriously? Mexico finally has something WE need and they are confiscating trucks? Gimme a break.

97 D90 SW
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
And the Domician Republic belonged to who and how many times? WTF does that have to do with the subject....
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Unfortunately, the southern US is a 'pressure relief valve' for Mexico. Rather that sticking around and fighting for social change in Mexico, they come to the US and take advantage of our institutions.

The abrasion comes when they retain their strong sense of nationalism towards Mexico. Without getting into the whole illegal/legal debate, it has been my experience that Mexicans seem the least willing to assimilate in US culture. That is why you hear 'press 1 for espaniol' but you never hear 'press 1 for mandarin'

-Jeff
and THATS an honest response. i continually get accused of being xenphobic or racist, (mexican is a nationality, not a race.), but the difficulty i have with them isnt even the law breaking when they enter. if this was a group of people that couldnt wait to be american, and melt in with the rest of us, id feel bad about the long wait they have to do it legitimately. but that simply isnt the case. all they want is the cash, and the welfare state they lack at home. its easier to sneak here and abuse us then to fight back against their upper class. and its a BIG RICH upper class. mexico ISNT poor. its just run like a feudal state.
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Unfortunately, the southern US is a 'pressure relief valve' for Mexico. Rather that sticking around and fighting for social change in Mexico, they come to the US and take advantage of our institutions.

The abrasion comes when they retain their strong sense of nationalism towards Mexico. Without getting into the whole illegal/legal debate, it has been my experience that Mexicans seem the least willing to assimilate in US culture. That is why you hear 'press 1 for espaniol' but you never hear 'press 1 for mandarin'

-Jeff
DITO after being born and raised in San Diego the only people who get this problem are the locals,,, Go visit San Diego High School and observe the low life's in action, Or any South Bay Schools for that matter. Ask any Anglo about there experiences in school and there opinion on illegals and Mexicans... I have a cousin who was teacher of the year twice and he was attacked... There commly referred to as 3D's and a F Another Cousin who was drillied through the heart while he was checking on some noise in is garrage....

Crime is rampant and auto theft is #1 that is there career choice.... don't drive a Toyota Camry... in Closing f F$%k No Habla Espaniol
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
And the Domician Republic belonged to who and how many times? WTF does that have to do with the subject....
my ancestors were german or french depending on the victor of the latest battle. musta been a fun place when doing the taxes.

im sure that was importent to them then and there. it means nothing to me now.

im pennsylvanian.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

My Mother's Family immigrated to New Mexico from Lebanon back in the late 1800's and they worked there buts off to teach there kids to embrace there new country "America" ... Its funny the first language they learned to speak here was not English it was Spanish mixed with some Navajo... They actually thought they were learning to speak English LOL... in her 90's my G,G,Grandmother used to speak all three languages at the same time...

Oh just thinking of crimes against my family as for me I had about 20K worth of tools stolen i'll bet that same amount $$$ That I was robbed by a Mexican day worker I hired... Yes I hired him $10,00 an hour and made the guy a great lunch also Treated him with respect and I was paid back...... It was obvious the way the tools were put away after we finished that only first hand knowledge could have pulled it off.... Oh and last year my Great Aunt was raped and robbed she is 65 Yep a Mexican... OH and the one and only time I let a Mexican work on the 90 he did not torque the L Front lugs and you guessed it I lost the tire doing about 30MPH...

And no I nor my Family has ever taken advantage of Mexicans... I don't even like Tequila I break out in hand cuffs every time i drink it
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
hey guys. try reading the whole article. you get the truck back a few days later and a fine. the confiscation is only to do testing of the fuel. yeah it is BS but it is not like they are keeping your truck.

don't believe the hype...check yer facts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
This was linked over on Expo, but thought there may be a few interested in reading it over here as well...

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...an-diesel.html

There was some confusion about what an auxilary tank is, but it seems to refer to the 'in-bed' tanks that alot of pick-ups have, not secondary installed tanks that are part of the vehicles fuel system..
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
They are just being a PITA because they can. What if you use your truck for work and it happens to have an aux tank in the bed and you cross the border? Then they have the right to confiscate it to test it for a week? Hell no. What are you supposed to drive for work then?

There is no reason to keep the truck. They should have quicker testing methods if they are going to enforce that rule.

What if the US started pulling all immigrant work trucks and vans over that had more than 6 passengers in it and keeping them for a week just to be a PITA? Construction in my part of the country would come to a standstill.

They should be glad we are helping their economy.

97 D90 SW
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
hey guys. try reading the whole article. you get the truck back a few days later and a fine. the confiscation is only to do testing of the fuel. yeah it is BS but it is not like they are keeping your truck.

don't believe the hype...check yer facts...
Dave:
You are absolutely correct, of course.

I think, though, it's not so much this particular story that has raised the ire of guys like Buck, D90DRC, myself and no doubt others. It's more akin to: 'shit; here's one more straw being added to the camel's back'.

This is a sensitive subject for a lot of So. Californians, particularly those of us who were born and grew up there. The social and economic ramifications affect every level on an almost daily basis. When it's been a part of your whole life, it is difficult not to feel pissed off about it.
___
I have never met nor spoken to Jack (JSQ) in San Diego, but I like reading his direct and no-nonsense posts.
It would be interesting to get his perspective on this latest story...
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer
They are just being a PITA because they can. What if you use your truck for work and it happens to have an aux tank in the bed and you cross the border? Then they have the right to confiscate it to test it for a week? Hell no. What are you supposed to drive for work then?
this i dont agree with. you are a guest in their country, just as they are a guest in ours. the reason they are doing this is because too many american guys with tanks are breaking the law. is it profiling... to an extent, yea. feels weird to have a shoe on the other foot, but, its their country, not ours. if we want them to respect our laws, we have to set an example and respect theirs. without crying like a baby. real simple. got to mexico, take your tank out.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
I believe Dominican Republic belongs to Dominicans, even if the US military attacked us 3 times only in the last century.

I the case of SoCal, I do think 160 years is a very short period of time. It was mexican territory yesterday, it is in big part mexican territory in a cultural and social aspect now. They make more kids. You guys can get upset and angry about it but you will have to live with it.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
I believe Dominican Republic belongs to Dominicans, even if the US military attacked us 3 times only in the last century.

I the case of SoCal, I do think 160 years is a very short period of time. It was mexican territory yesterday, it is in big part mexican territory in a cultural and social aspect now. They make more kids. You guys can get upset and angry about it but you will have to live with it.
"have to" is a very definate ideal.

seems just yesterday, we were chums with geogia and fast tracking them to NATO. we told the russians they would "have to" live with that.

its amazing how little words mean without the will or ability to back them up. "have too". hmmm. better be sure of your opposition before you float those words.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat