Methanol/Ethanol switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 8th, 2015, 02:35 PM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Methanol/Ethanol switch

Realizing that CA emissions probably wouldn't allow it, has anyone here successfully converted their V8 to use ethanol and/or methanol?

Watched "Pump" on Netflix last night and I find it hard to believe that more people aren't doing this already. Essentially, the documentary discusses methods to reduce dependency on foreign oil.

What I took from the film was that vehicles have had the ability to run on alternate fuels for decades, it's just a software change.

I'm even thinking of adjusting the carb/timing on my Series IIA to allow alternative fuels.

All comments welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 02:42 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
I think the price difference is about 40 cents a gallon right now, so assuming it's your primary vehicle at 12k miles a year and at a conservative 12 mpg, you'd save 400 bucks a year, assuming you could always find ethanol when you want it. Not worth it to me, but are there other pros to the switch?

Not to mention the spread is currently higher than average between ethanol and 87 octane
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
I think the price difference is about 40 cents a gallon right now, so assuming it's your primary vehicle at 12k miles a year and at a conservative 12 mpg, you'd save 400 bucks a year, assuming you could always find ethanol when you want it. Not worth it to me, but are there other pros to the switch?

Not to mention the spread is currently higher than average between ethanol and 87 octane
you'd better converting to run on CNG / Propane ... plenty of kits for that and widely available.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Can someone figure out how to run a car on farts please.
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:12 PM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Well, my daily driver is a Mini Cooper, which gets good mileage already. But I wouldn't mind converting that as well.

The benefits are numerous, Brazil's nationwide conversion is a prime example

- Exhaust is clean vs extremely dirty
- if more Americans did this, it would make a statement to foreign oil companies
- create competition
- (hopefully) create jobs locally by increasing demand, from local sources
- then OPEC won't be able to control American lives, local economies, etc

No, I'm no commie, just hate how gas prices go up and everything else goes up with it.

Check out the documentary and pass it along.

Has anyone done this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:38 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
There are two things not mentioned yet. Lower MPG and methanol/ ethanol deteriorate rubber and injector seals.

Oh, three things. Food vs fuel will mean higher food cost.
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:01 PM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

LuisC,

Funny, but they address the food price scare in the film. As it is, every time gas prices go up, all food prices go up with them.

The lower MPG is offset by the lower cost of ethanol/methanol.

I'm no expert just because I've watched one documentary. Nevertheless, it seems the long-term benefits for the American people far outweigh the small short-term savings for individuals.

There was no mention of these alternative fuels deteriorating rubber and injector seals. However, for an _entire_country_ (Brazil) to go to zero dependence on foreign oil in one president's term of 8 years, that speaks volumes for the viability of these alternate fuels.

So, opinions aside (mine included), has *anyone* seriously considered, researched or actually performed this conversion?

Old May 8th, 2015, 06:21 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Does the documentary discuss the amount of rainforest in Brazil being cut down to make more farm land to accommodate the growing of produce to make the fuel? Nothing is without its bad side. Everything has a compromise.
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:33 PM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

No, it does not. Did you see anything to this effect, do you have figures, or is this simply a guess?

In the US, we already have the capacity to make methanol, in fact already do to make food for livestock.

In the time we've spent discussing it, you could have already watched the film and saved me the trouble of responding to your questions. Stop being lazy, watch it then we'll both know equally as much.

So your answer to my question is a very obvious "no".

Old May 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
While I have not seen the movie, I did stumble across much information and arguments during my research on biodiesel. I even considered making my own biofuel at home. State of Texas requires a $30K bond to allow making of biodiesel at a resident.

I considered modifying my Tdi to use vegetable oil as a fuel after an article from Craig Reece of Plant Drive in a magazine.

I had recently driven to Belize with Craig and it surprised me to see him write the article.

During my research, I also read on other alternative fuels including those for petrol engines.

While I'm no expert, I've been informed on the pros and cons.

I may be lazy. And I may revisit the vegetable oil conversion later on. But for now I will stick with Shell and Chevron.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:59 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador View Post
There was no mention of these alternative fuels deteriorating rubber and injector seals. However, for an _entire_country_ (Brazil) to go to zero dependence on foreign oil in one president's term of 8 years, that speaks volumes for the viability of these alternate fuels.
Brazil-market cars for years have come with Viton/synthetic seals and still regularly replacing them is a thing there. Having said that, I'll all for alternative fuels, just not Ethanol sourced from corn. The difference is Brazil from the ground up (quite literally) built an infrastructure to produce Ethanol for the purpose of fuels, using primarily sugarcane. Ethanol in the US was more of an afterthought, which is the source of the food scare news. There is clout to it but there is also a large amount hype with any hot button issue. The end result is, there are alternative totally viable fuels, we just need the infrastructure to use them on a wider non-niche scale.

Study: Renewable Fuel Mandate Can't Be Met With Ethanol | WIRED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
switch