Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:30 AM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

MB Diesel Advice

OK Boys..Need some advice!

I am looking at this as my new DD, with gas eating me alive I could buy this E 320 and pay for gas AND still have some left over when I am done at the end of the month VS the money I pay now for 2 discos...Diesel MB with 800 MP Tank.....

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=E320CDI

800 MP TANK!!!! Oh my gosh that is AMAZING!!!! Advice? Pros/Cons? Any MB owners on the site too? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2006, 06:25 AM
noee
Michael Noe
'67 Series IIa

you will find mucho info here: BenzWorld Forums
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The new MB Diesels are quiet. Very Sweet..
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Even the old ones rock. They are amazing cars. I can't think of anything I don't like about them other than they are a little small on the inside. I think its a great decision.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

A friend of mine bought an old 1984 300SD S-class for $2500 - he's getting around 25-27 mpg running on biodiesel. Great big safe, comfortable car.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Handles like crap. otherwise it is nice.
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Bilsteins and good Michelin tires - it's not too bad - but then he also has Porsche 993 C2S and Ducati Monster for the twisty bits. The big Benz is his back and forth to the airport and carry clients around car.
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
Bilsteins and good Michelin tires - it's not too bad - but then he also has Porsche 993 C2S and Ducati Monster for the twisty bits. The big Benz is his back and forth to the airport and carry clients around car.
Jack- MB sounds like a good solid car for my daily needs, especially for clients. Clients/Colleagues have a hard time getting in the lifted disco and that can cause a bizarre and very embarrassing situation for some. The MB is classy, well-designed, and appropriate for my line of work. (I must be getting old)! I also might be taken more seriously in a MB versus a truck with a 3" lift, bull bar, snorkel, 33's ect....

Thanks again for the advice, I plan on buying it later in the year versus the lease option they have now. I have never been a fan of leasing with the miles I drive. I have test driven it and must say I like the way it drives. No Ron it does not corner like it is on rails!
~RC

Old June 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij

No Ron it does not corner like it is on rails!:

My maserati does 185 . . . I lost my license . . . now I can't drive

Algar should have an 04 GT coupe in grey/bordeaux coming in next month . . . fingers crossed
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:41 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Mark is a Delta pilot - with their recent pay cuts he was looking to supplement his income and went out and got his real estate license. The Porsche was not a particularly good car to use to show real estate so he asked me for some advice. We went looking for one of the big 126 chassis M-B 4-dr S-class cars with the 5 cylinder turbodiesel. We had several to choose from in the $2500-$3500 range (and even a reasonably nice one for $1000). I found a big Coca-Cola red one in the Home Depot parking lot with a For Sale sign on it - asking $3500. Mark bought it from a doctor for $2500. The drivers seat needed to be reupholstered (about $300) and the car needed a good cleaning but it runs great.

Everybody thinks the car costs at least four or five times what he paid for it - if not more. His clients like it and it gets great mileage while he runs around showing real estate. Parts are cheap and its reasonably easy to work on. And a great big bright red Mercedes does make a bold statement.

He's always catching flack from fellow Delta employees about his expensive taste in cars. He has a lot of fun telling folks that yeah he really had to go out on a limb to afford the Mercedes - you know how bad it hurts paying $2500 cash for a car and all that. A stewardess was giving him flack about it and when he told her how much he paid for it she said "I paid ten times that much for my Jetta!" Then he said "yeah - and I'm only getting 27 mpg with it - I don't know how I can afford it."

She told him to just shut up.

Of course Mark's wife drives a $70,000 2005 Mercedes E500 AWD wagon......
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

I agree that they are nice driving, sophisticated cars. They are also highly problematic, because the electronics has overwhelmed the ability of dealer service departments to fix the car. My brother's 2005 E500 was just bought back by Mercedes after being out of service 75 days total over 4 occasions.

I would wait till they've been selling this car a few more years and worked out more of the bugs.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The late E-class cars are known for being very electrically challenged.

The mid-80's to early 90's cars are much easier to live with.

The 1982-91 S class is pretty benign - there are some issues with the climate control system but everything else is stone axe simple.

The early 90's w124 class is supposed to be pretty good too - fellow D-90 owner Ron Ward picked up a very nice E300 wagon recently for under $6500.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
The late E-class cars are known for being very electrically challenged.

The mid-80's to early 90's cars are much easier to live with.

The 1982-91 S class is pretty benign - there are some issues with the climate control system but everything else is stone axe simple.

The early 90's w124 class is supposed to be pretty good too - fellow D-90 owner Ron Ward picked up a very nice E300 wagon recently for under $6500.
Help me guys...this is not as easy as I thought it would be. So it will have a warranty but John are you saying it was Lemon Law'ed? Ron knows A LOT about that..Huh Ron?

Any more thoughts on the E-Class I am looking at (CDI)? Jack W watcha think?
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:55 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

If the MBs are problematic, you could always look at a Jetta or Passat diesel. I have a customer who was doing 50K miles a year in his D2...almost $10k a year in fuel alone! He bought a TDI Jetta as a driver and is loving it...and it is paying for itself.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:57 AM
robisonservice
John Robison

My brother's car was bought back as a lemon, yes. If I were going to buy a Mercedes (I have one now) it would be a 2002 E class, the last year for the old design. Or a 2005 C class, or a 2005 S Class. In all cases those are cars they've been building a while.

The E class cars went a long way to ruin the Mercedes reputation for reliability, just as the s class did in 2001.

Mercedes has really gone gadget and tchnology crazy, and the cars are always broken as a result. Lexus uses yesterday's technology, but built right, and they are eating them up. Not that I'm a Lexus fan - I'm not - but the reliability of a Lexus wold make the buyer of a new MB sick.

When I wanted a smaller car to drive to work I got a Mini Cooper S. Better handling than the Benz, and reliable. 30mpg.

As someone else suggested, the Jetta diesel is good, and late model used units are available. We've bought several for customers. The non-S Mini gets 35mpg if you can use a small car and it drives better.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij

no more new cars. no more cars with any warranty left. "as is" is all I am buying. I don't like having to litigate my purchases.

Burn BMW Burn . . .
Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

[QUOTE=robisonservice]

When I wanted a smaller car to drive to work I got a Mini Cooper S. Better handling than the Benz, and reliable. 30mpg.
QUOTE]

Are you shifting at 1500? I get a solid 22-23 in our '05 cooper s. Granted, I commute 2 miles each way, which may be part of the problem . . .
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I haven't had any experience with the newer M-B's but that new diesel E-class has caught my eye. Too bad we can't get the "stripped down" versions available in Europe with out all the electrical doo-dads. Way too expensive for me though....

I had a 2003 Mini Cooper S - I seemed to average around 24 mpg with it but it was huge fun to drive. The non-supercharged one will easily get over 30 mpg and is a great commuter car - don't get the 17" wheels they are very heavy - and the car drives better on the 16" rims. You can buy a reasonable equipped non-S Mini for under 20K and they hold their value well - plus they are lots of fun and reasonably practical.

Diesel Golfs and Jettas will deliver around 50 mpg if driven gently - much more cost effective than a Prius.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Diesel Golfs and Jettas will deliver around 50 mpg if driven gently - much more cost effective than a Prius.
My commuter car is a golf tdi. I think I was averaging 42, but that is around town and 80 on the highway (along with everyone else). I got over 50 on one road trip where I was deliberately trying to stay around 70 or less. This is with the older tdi, not the newer pumpduse motor fwiw. I routinely get 600-700 miles out of my 15gal tank (and that is with a healthy reserve).
Many folks on another list love the older diesel benz's - cheap(ish) to buy and they are pretty good. I figure electics are good for 5yrs and am not looking forward to windows that dont work, alarm system that locks me out, sunroof that leaks etc.. the 90 doesnt have those problems though.....
Warranty thing - I usually avoid them. But then I like simpler cars that are not fully loaded (which are getting harder and harder to find new). Less to go wrong. Add to that, most warrantable stuff starts to break after the warranty is over. OTOH, if you get a friday car, its may be worth it. Either way, its a gamble.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
robisonservice
John Robison

[QUOTE=Abrooks]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robisonservice

QUOTE]

Are you shifting at 1500? I get a solid 22-23 in our '05 cooper s. Granted, I commute 2 miles each way, which may be part of the problem . . .
I live 25 miles from work on country roads and shift at 3000. That probably accounts for the difference. I've sold a few non-S models to people who do mostly highway driving, and they are getting high 30s.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel