Old June 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by robisonservice

When I wanted a smaller car to drive to work I got a Mini Cooper S. Better handling than the Benz, and reliable. 30mpg.
Are you shifting at 1500? I get a solid 22-23 in our '05 cooper s. Granted, I commute 2 miles each way, which may be part of the problem . . .
My Wife's S gets around 30-33mpg, but it's a 20mi commute each way, and yes she shifts at 1500-2000rpm. When I drive it, the mileage always seems to go down...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 02:07 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

RoverChic,

If your only goal is to save money on gas, and you're planning to keep the Disco, I'd suggest you reconsider. I did a simple cost analysis for a friend and figured it would take her 12 years to recoup her costs for buying a smaller, cheaper, more fuel efficient car. If the car is free, then you can recoup almost right away, minus additional insurance, minus additional maintenance.

Let's say you spend $2500 a year on gas with your Disco.

Let's also assume you'd cut that in half with a [whatever] vehicle with twice the MPG as your Disco.

That's $1250 a year. How much car can you buy for $1250 per year?

Let's say the more fuel efficient car cost $20,000

In 10 years, you'd recuperate $12,500. In 16 years $20K... in 20 years, you'd recuperate $25K and so on. Now, factor insurance and the time required is extended quite a bit.

Chances are good you'll sell that little thing before you begin to actually save money.

However, if you *replace* the Disco with the little car, that changes everything.

For now, I'm going to suck it up and pay a $20-28/mo more in gas for my D90. It sure is better than an additional $300-400 car payment, plus insurance.

Plug in your numbers (price of vehicle, yearly cost for gas, insurance, etc) in a spreadsheet and you'll see what I mean.

Javier
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador
However, if you *replace* the Disco with the little car, that changes everything.
Javier
You're exactly right, but if she's planning on getting a new car anyway (and it sounds like she is) then I don't think she can go wrong with an MB diesel. They're great cars, and I think they're like some other german cars, overall they're great, but you do get a few bad ones and you generally hear about the bad ones. I say go for it, MB diesels are some of the most high tech diesels out there. Whatever you do, there's no reason to get another internal combustion engined car again for your needs.
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Too bad you can't buy or register it in NY anyway, until the laws change at least.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:53 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Too bad you can't buy or register it in NY anyway, until the laws change at least.
Yep saw that..NO NY/VT/MA!! I know we have a Vehicle Registration Nazi lurking so let's just put it this way; my mom lives in OK and everything is in her name anyway (for legal purposes of course)!

Thank you again for all the amazing advice! I really can not do a Mini Cooper as much as I would love too. There simply is not enough room, these Oil Men are larger than usual specimen (or maybe it is their ego that is too large?!?LOL!!). The experiences with MB that John has mentioned do frighten me though, so maybe I should just look into a good VW Jetta Tdi. They are sporty and come in 4 doors, so that might be an option. I actually need to take a look at them...Much cheaper than the MB too.

I spend anywhere from $200 per week to $1200 per month on gas, and it is getting expensive. The lift, tires, ect I am sure are contributing to the 250 miles per tank that I usually end up calculating at fuel up time.

I do appreciate the advice so keep it coming if you have any other thoughts on the MB or Diesel alternatives. Thanks again!

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

That reminds me of the Texas oil producer that had a heart attack and died while in Ok.

The Oklahoma undertaker couldn't find a casket in Ok big enough for him. Sooo.......

He gave him an enema and sent him back to Texas in a matchbox.
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I think the new MB's next year with the bluetec diesel engines will be legal in all 50 states, so you might want to wait a year RoverChic if you're set on the MB and want to register it in NY.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel