Maybe moving - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 29th, 2015, 08:40 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

Maybe moving

to Santa Cruz, CA and was wondering if I would be able to register my 83 110 with 3.5 v8? Also has anyone lived in the area have suggestions on other great places to live in the area. My office would be in Santa Clara.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post
to Santa Cruz, CA and was wondering if I would be able to register my 83 110 with 3.5 v8? Also has anyone lived in the area have suggestions on other great places to live in the area. My office would be in Santa Clara.
How long have you had it registered somewhere other than CA? If 2+ years and ODO is more than 7500 miles you should be good to go.
Old June 29th, 2015, 11:45 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
One doesn't move to Santa Cruz, while working in Santa Clara, the actual longtime home of the 49'ers ;-( only to be considering other places in the area. Plenty of beautiful places, and expensive places, near Santa Clara, such as Woodside (home of Joe Montana), Campbell, Los Gatos, Palo Alto (not East Palo Alto, God forbid!) But they're nothing like Santa Cruz! If you REALLY REALLY REALLY like the ocean and raw beauty, and you Really Really like commuting, then don't consider the posh burbs.

And with regards to your question, considering the age of your vehicle, and with the original petrol power train, you're golden in the golden state!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
How long have you had it registered somewhere other than CA? If 2+ years and ODO is more than 7500 miles you should be good to go.
Where is this info from? I've never heard that before. (Read in a genuinely curious way, not a snarky rude way)
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Where is this info from? I've never heard that before. (Read in a genuinely curious way, not a snarky rude way)
If correctly processed it should be treated as any other 1983 vehicle coming into the state as a transfer - You as a NEW resident of CA should be fine and if under the date/time thresholds the vehicle won't be flagged as "new".

I'm not an attorney, info on the California DMV web site.

The DMV and the California Air Resources Board regulate that new vehicles purchased by CA residents have to be made to meet CA emissions standards.

From the DMV:
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in your last state of military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicleís previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle.

The challenge comes if you are already a CA resident.
From the CA DMV web site: "California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. "
Old June 30th, 2015, 03:00 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I so want that Cyrillic R font!!! ;-)
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:21 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Thanks for the replies. As for my truck, it has been registered for about 5 years in IL and has 106,000 miles.

As for the long commute, that is one of my concerns but we love the ocean and if I was going to make the move I do not want to be in a concrete jungle. Are there other places closer that are not concrete jungles, and I understand they will not be as close to the ocean, but would still be closer than I am now in IL?
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Good luck in Santa Cruz, its a great place to live.
spend lots of time there right out of college. Still have family in SC, Felton and Scotts Valley
17 will be an adventure in a 110!

In fact, my uncle just sent this picture to me a few weeks ago of an 88 rusting away in a field in the hills of Scotts Valley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150417_101153.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	123959  
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:48 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Thanks, but my daily driver will be a 2009 Volvo C30.
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Awesome thanks guys. And congrats on the possible move to Santa Cruz! Such a beautiful town with some fun surf too! If you ever take a road trip down the coast give me a shout.
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Hey guys I've been thinking about this the past few minutes and I don't think one can register an 80s v8 defender here. I moved I the California years ago with a 2005 Volvo that I had owned for more than 2 years with way more than 7000 miles. I still had to take it to pass a smog check before I could register it here, even though it was my car in Colorado and I was just moving in. There is now way a 80s rover v8 will pass smog.

------ Follow up post added June 30th, 2015 09:08 AM ------

The reason an 80s rover v8 won't pass smog is because they don't have any other 80s rover v8s to compare it against so they will run it against current standards
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Santa Cruz, moved here in 53 when I was 2.5yo. Now an expensive place to buy a home as is most of the Bay Area. Hwy 17 is a horrid commute, designed in the 50's with windy curves and 50mph limits, and commuters trying to do 65-70.....with 5400 vehicles during peak hours and 58,000 vehicles per day. One crash and traffic is screwed for hours. Over in Los Gatos the traffic count doubles to 10,000+ peak volume as peoples drive to SF, Sunnyvale, Hayward, Palo Alto, from as far away as Monterey, Gilroy, Hollister.

Still it has some great places to live, and most are not far from the Pacific depending on what your water needs are. Great weather, modulated by the proximity to the ocean(present drought excluded) it rarely gets below 35 and snows maybe once every 10 years. We get some hot days in Summer, today going to be in low 90's. But they only last 3-4 days because the valley sucks. That is as the Santa Clara Valley heats up the hot air rises and sucks the cooler air from the Santa Cruz side of the mountains, this often brings cooling fog and lower temps to Santa Cruz. Then the hordes trying to escape the heat in the valley swarm Santa Cruz and traffic is backed up for miles trying to get to a beach.

Not many Defenders (2?) but around 20 Series and plenty of Discos and RR.

Jackie, that red 88 is by the Pasatiempo off ramp. The owners don't want to do anything with it.......sad it's just melting away.
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:21 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
to Santa Cruz, CA...
WHAT?! And leave all this delightful humidity / winter behind???

Oh, and no, I'm sure they'll confiscate it at the border...just drop it off somewhere in Iowa while you're headed west.

Old June 30th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Sorry my last post read like a 4 year old typed it. I was typing fast at a red light. Anyway, it will still have to pass a smog test. If it was an 80s Honda Accord, or some other car that was sold in California in the 80s, it would be tested against those standards put in place for that car in that year. But because the defender wasn't sold in California in the 80s they don't have anything to test it against, thus they will smog it against current standards of 2015, which it will certainly not pass. Anyway. Just my 2 cents. When I moved in and brought cars that I owned for years and had plenty of miles on them, I unfortunately still had to go through the smog process for registration.
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:58 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Love Santa Cruz. I go up every other other month to bike there.
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Sorry my last post read like a 4 year old typed it. I was typing fast at a red light. Anyway, it will still have to pass a smog test. If it was an 80s Honda Accord, or some other car that was sold in California in the 80s, it would be tested against those standards put in place for that car in that year. But because the defender wasn't sold in California in the 80s they don't have anything to test it against, thus they will smog it against current standards of 2015, which it will certainly not pass. Anyway. Just my 2 cents. When I moved in and brought cars that I owned for years and had plenty of miles on them, I unfortunately still had to go through the smog process for registration.

Grey Market Vehicles

Vehicles imported into California that are not built to US and California emission standards are classified as Grey Market vehicles and require an inspection at a Referee Center.

Some import vehicles built to US and California emission standards have an underhood emission label that does not indicate the vehicle conforms to US and California specifications. Check with the vehicle manufacturer to obtain documentation stating the vehicle is, or is not, built to US and California emission specifications before receiving a Referee inspection.

Probably worth contacting them early - and if imported correctly you should have a copy of the EPA and DOT exemption paperwork to present as well.

Referee Centers are centrally located within certain community colleges throughout California. To find a Referee Center near you or to schedule an appointment, visit asktheref.org or call (800) 622-7733.
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:49 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

Thanks for all the information, this makes me think it is a gamble to get my truck into CA. I may just sell it.
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I would say give it a shot.. If it works out, great.. If not then sell it to someone outside of CA. Or if you have family back where you are moving from just keep it registered there..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
In a nutshell, what Brian (DNW) posted is also what keeps direct imports from being registered in the Яepublik. It needs to be registered elsewhere first.

-Jeff
Wow! How you make that "R" backwards? (Reading Vladimir Nabokov in th mirror?)
Old June 30th, 2015, 10:03 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Thanks for all the information, this makes me think it is a gamble to get my truck into CA. I may just sell it.
Ahem...we could do that darned near locally.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat