Max weights.. damage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Max weights.. damage?

So i'm moving cross country and I'm decided to buy an enclosed race trailer and haul my shi* myself after getting a 6 grand quote from Uhaul before gas. I've done the math and I will be in a situation where I will be overloaded on the truck (by a decent margin) and probably on the trailer too. So i've been pouring over forums and modifying tires, suspension, brakes, hitches etc to account for it and I realized.. i've never done this for the D.

There are hundreds of threads on this board about people swapping springs and shocks to match the weight they want to haul off road but NEVER have I seen mention of pushing the load limit on the axles or the bearings or whatever. SO my question is this.. has anyone seen failures on their Defenders due to heavy over loading or do people generally ignore those limitations?
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2014, 10:59 PM
ArlowCT
Ryan Lowe
1973ish SER III, 88"

I would guess the hubs and bearings would take it, axles too. Your tires and brakes will need upgrading, plus your springs and shocks, probably smart to do your wheels too, also the frame of the truck should be reinforced and HD front and rear sway bars would be a good call.....

It doesn't sound like a great idea. Plus if you did happen to get in a accident and someone was hurt and they found this thread! Sounds like its time to sell some stuff and pack light!
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
I've been towing things my whole life. I think you will find the biggest issue by far is stopping your rig. The short wheel base and heavy load are a recipe for disaster if you are forced in to a quick stop situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Yard sale time. Get rid of as much as possible. Weight distributing hitch electric brakes. Have another yard sale. Sell the boost wheels as you're leaving New York. If you think Kalifornia will allow you to register your Rover the joke may be on you. Uship.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
How much is a mover?
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:11 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
My 2cents:

Let a mover do it. By the time you modify the truck and trailer you're not going to be saving any money! How much is your time worth, and the headache of this process?

If you must do it yourself, is there a way you could rent a real HD truck? Or moving van?

~Steve
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

From what I've read, never tow more than twice your tow vehicle's weight, even with a brake controller. The rated tow weight with a brake controller is 3500 kgs, but remember to account for the weight of stuff you have in the truck. How much stuff are you planning on carrying?
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would run over no problem on the easy coast. I have pulled discos with my D90 on heavy U haul trailers without issue. Over the Rockies NFW.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:47 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I'm not pulling this load with the D90.. I have a 1/2 ton doing the towing. I share the same sentiment as most here which is why I spent the money on the hitch, brake controllers, timbrens etc. Movers quoted me 14 grand. Uhaul was 6 before gas. Pod was the cheapest at 4500 but I need two of them and if they don't get it done in a month they charge me double. The trailer was 6 and I can sell it again on the other side. I have a few cars driving with me so I should be able to distribute loads btw them to keep everything under the max weights. My post came from the simple thought that I have never thought about the weight carrying capacity of the defender. I just load it with no regard and go 4 wheeling, camping, whatever. Which is weird because you'd think given the stress the suspension takes off road that it would be a bigger concern.. but no comments about it ever. I guess nothing breaks..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
damage, ht