Masai Window Quality - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Matt_110's Avatar
Matt_110
Status: Offline
Matt
110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 383
Masai Window Quality

I installed my new Masai tinted rear sliding windows today only to notice some obvious bubbling on the frame. I don't really want to deal with sending it back to the UK so I may have to suck it up and deal with it once the finish goes. Maybe a sand and paint match, but there's no way it will look 100%. A part of me want to say "meh it's just a 4x4" the further along this rebuild goes. Anywho...whining complete, but something to consider if you're ordering from them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-679973426.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	151109
__________________
1987 110, 2.8TGV, ZF Auto
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:55 PM
kevincdoyle's Avatar
kevincdoyle
Status: Offline
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK USA
Posts: 862
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post
I installed my new Masai tinted rear sliding windows today only to notice some obvious bubbling on the frame. I don't really want to deal with sending it back to the UK so I may have to suck it up and deal with it once the finish goes. Maybe a sand and paint match, but there's no way it will look 100%. A part of me want to say "meh it's just a 4x4" the further along this rebuild goes. Anywho...whining complete, but something to consider if you're ordering from them.
Ooof.... Not nice at all....thanks for the feedback...
__________________
Attributed to Shayne...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 7th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Lemonhead
Status: Offline
TB
1997 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 310
Ouch.

I installed mine more than a year ago - no issues at all.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:45 AM
dave_lucas's Avatar
dave_lucas
Status: Offline
Dave Lucas
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CO USA
Posts: 3,126
Are you sure they are bubbles and not just thick / blobs of powder coating?

Looks like it could just be where some extra powder coating dropped or was applied too thick.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Matt_110's Avatar
Matt_110
Status: Offline
Matt
110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Are you sure they are bubbles and not just thick / blobs of powder coating? Looks like it could just be where some extra powder coating dropped or was applied too thick.
You're right Dave! Looks like it's just extra "protection." Thanks
__________________
1987 110, 2.8TGV, ZF Auto
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,530
Registry
My masai windows are fantastic quality.

Your windows look fine. Better than the paint on the edges of your station wagon van sides.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:17 PM
AdamSanta85's Avatar
AdamSanta85
Status: Offline
Adam
91' D90 200TDI
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,519
Registry
A bit off topic but relating to Masai. Anyone have any comments on the Masai NAS style LED lights? Same was Wipac or the BoltOnBits or are they of different quality?

Masai Land Rover Defender Accessories and Parts ยป LED and HID vehicle lights
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Matt_110's Avatar
Matt_110
Status: Offline
Matt
110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
My masai windows are fantastic quality. Your windows look fine. Better than the paint on the edges of your station wagon van sides.
Ouch..yeah. Painted it myself in the garage. First paint job and it shows. No complaints on the fit and function of the windows...they just got a little sloppy with powder coating. First glance it mimicked corrosion or bubbling.
__________________
1987 110, 2.8TGV, ZF Auto
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:49 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,530
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post
Ouch..yeah. Painted it myself in the garage. First paint job and it shows. No complaints on the fit and function of the windows...they just got a little sloppy with powder coating. First glance it mimicked corrosion or bubbling.
No worries Just a reality check...I've had to do the same many times on my build.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Masai roof access ladders atlcruiser The Vendors Loft 6 October 13th, 2014 09:15 PM
Masai Sliding window replacement Korongo Defender Technical Discussions 44 October 24th, 2013 03:56 AM
Masai Defender Tinted Panoramic Windows AgRover Defender Technical Discussions 11 September 17th, 2012 07:39 PM
Masai Spare Carrier ersatzknarf Defender Technical Discussions 11 July 15th, 2011 01:58 PM
84 D110 SW Masai Red Jurriaan For Sale - Vehicles 12 May 13th, 2010 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Copyright