Maryland Emissions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Maryland Emissions

So I am the original owner of this truck. Maryland requires and Emissions test every two years. So I have done this like 6-7 times.

HOW come the test is different every time. Sometimes it is the hose in the tailpipe, sometimes they remove the gas cap and put something on it, sometimes the rollers. Every time it is different.

I am just complaining because today it was the rollers. That means they put my 4WD truck up on two sets of rollers and let some clown drive it to simulated highway speeds up and down thru the gears with a little fan in front of the car. You just hope he does not miss a gear - or that the truck does not overheat, or fly off the rollers........

I was told to stand behind the glass in this little chamber. AND I MUST SAY that it was VERY FUNNY watching this teenager try to find where to put the key in the ignition.......

Enough..........I must just get over it. My Defender Passed again.........now I have another two years!

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
So I am the original owner of this truck. Maryland requires and Emissions test every two years. So I have done this like 6-7 times.

HOW come the test is different every time. Sometimes it is the hose in the tailpipe, sometimes they remove the gas cap and put something on it, sometimes the rollers. Every time it is different.

I am just complaining because today it was the rollers. That means they put my 4WD truck up on two sets of rollers and let some clown drive it to simulated highway speeds up and down thru the gears with a little fan in front of the car. You just hope he does not miss a gear - or that the truck does not overheat, or fly off the rollers........

I was told to stand behind the glass in this little chamber. AND I MUST SAY that it was VERY FUNNY watching this teenager try to find where to put the key in the ignition.......

Enough..........I must just get over it. My Defender Passed again.........now I have another two years!

Flagg
I'm so glad i got out of town before my defender's emissions expired! In douglas county nv there is no emissions inspection, and no safety inspection, all i have to do is show them the VIN number of my truck and i'm done... it should be like this in more places, life is so simple!
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
The year I bought my D90 was the last year for emissions for Ohio. When I took it in for the test, they didn't know what to do...it was a total joke! They they attempted to plug in to the truck computer...could not do it, there is no plug, could not drive it on the rollers since it is only 4WD. The could only test the gas cap seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg

Flagg
They have always put mine on the rollers. I had to argue with them one year because they wanted to use the single set of rollers for 2wd vehicles. The numbnut kept telling me to put it in 2WD, and did not seem capable of understanding that I could not. If I didn't care about the truck, I would have locked the center diff and let him run over the fan system as it lurched off the single set of rollers!

P.S. -- If the AWD dyno is down, they will do a tailpipe test on AWD vehicles. If you have a '96 or up, they don't even do a roller or tailpipe test anymore, they just hook up to the OBD-II port and look for codes. And you can sit in the passenger seat if you want during the test. They don't offer it up, but you can if you request it, they have to allow it. You may not want to though, it is really scary listening to the driveline slack when these clowns drive it on the rollers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

I take my Classic to the emission testing center off of Broken Land Pkwy in Columbia. Still going to the same emissions place since 98. There are two approaches whenever I take my Rover for emission testing. Being EXTRA, EXTRA patient and respectful are my primary goals. I usually stop at the Exxon on the corner and pick up $5.00 worth of snacks including a Coke. Whenever it is my turn to pull into the bay I nod, careful not to say to much other than hello, good afternoon, good morning etc. I hand over the snacks and Coke and head on over to that glass wall. I wait with my fingers crossed and head turned away from my truck. When I am waved to come out, I nod again, get in my truck and let out a huge sigh of relief that I passed once again. Every two years I say to my wife before heading out that I am going to register my truck in NC using my parents address to avoid MD state emissions again if I fail, and so far I have not had to register my truck in NC. MD emissions is a painful experience. Disclaimer: It works for me, and I am careful that my actions are not mistaken as a bribe. I failed once, however my approach is still the same.
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I am certified emmisions inspector in va, here the computer system asks a whole lot of questions.
if it is 96 and newer it gets an obd test (just plug in) if the check engine light is not on and the system does not have stored codes it pases.
if pre 96 then it gets a two speed idle test, that is the sniffer goes into the tail pipe the rpm sensing wire goes to a plug wire and set the rpms t0 2500 for about 1.5 minutes then let it idle for the same amount of time (computer timed), and voila that is your test, it may pass it may fail you never know.
one of the questions the system asks. ( is this vehicle awd or equipped with disengageable traction control, y/n . is this vehicle a full time 4wd y/n)
of course you answer appropiately and that way it tells you wether to run on the rollersor not.
also quite often if you check on the emmisions label or look up the truck on the books (which every emmisons station and inspector has to have by law) it will say what every vehicle on the market has as far as traction and form of testing (this vehicle is exempt from dyno testing).
we in va must go to a class every 2 years in order to stay current and licenced and keep books handy while testing, I cannot speak talk about other states and their form of testing but I would asume they should have some kind of way of knowing how vehicles get tested.
hell here in va there is a weight limit on testing for emmisions and dyno test.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

The first time Humpty Dumpty did anything right for me was passing the MD emissions test last summer... with expired tags, a flat battery, and bad alignment (so I had to tell them NOT to shut it off unless they wanted a dead car in the way).

The guy driving was scared shitless the whole time. He kept looking at me like "are you f-in NUTS!?" while he was trying to drive a straight line.

Ah, good times.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Carlos, can you confirm what I believe to be the inspection process for 25 yr. old. vehicles? The way I interpret the law is that if the vehicle is registered as an antique, there's no inspection at all, if it's 25 years but has a conventional plate, it only needs safety but no emissions.

Thanks,

Tony
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
tony

wwhen I lived in va it was rolling 20 year exemption for emissions.

antique was no inspection at all but I usually got the safety anyway.

they did briefly change the emissions requirements and put a sniffer on my 88". It failed at idle but a quick adjustment to the mixture screw solved that and it passed.

then they changed the law again so it was only that one time it had to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Carlos, can you confirm what I believe to be the inspection process for 25 yr. old. vehicles? The way I interpret the law is that if the vehicle is registered as an antique, there's no inspection at all, if it's 25 years but has a conventional plate, it only needs safety but no emissions.

Thanks,

Tony
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
yup, they moved the test age from 21 to 25 yrs, as far as the antique tags iam alittle sketchy on the regulation but ithink It can be driven any time during the day on weekends and a maximun of 2 days during the week per month, during non rush hour and no more than 1000 miles a year.
a properly licenced (ASE and Inspector) mechanic can drive the car anytime during the day any day as long as it is for road testing purposes and some 5 miles around the shop.
some of those regulations are some what sketchy you may wanna double check with dmv. to veryfi
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
ymmv but the antique registration plate's restrictions are so poorly written that you can make almost any excuse and still be within the law.

that said, I was pulled over more than once on my way to work in my old 67 volvo and no one ever gave me a hassle about the plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz@cox.net
yup, they moved the test age from 21 to 25 yrs, as far as the antique tags iam alittle sketchy on the regulation but ithink It can be driven any time during the day on weekends and a maximun of 2 days during the week per month, during non rush hour and no more than 1000 miles a year.
a properly licenced (ASE and Inspector) mechanic can drive the car anytime during the day any day as long as it is for road testing purposes and some 5 miles around the shop.
some of those regulations are some what sketchy you may wanna double check with dmv. to veryfi
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

My brother's Jeep has "historic" tags in MD and he actually got pulled over by an uninformed LEO telling him it's illegal to drive. Told him he can only drive it in parades and such.

In MD, I understand it's a maximum of 5000 miles/year on historic tags (25 years+). That limitation would be sufficient for me to get through inspections.
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

So it sounds like I can get historic plates in another 12 years or so............only 6 +/- more emmisions inspections to go! YES

Carlos - sorry if I put down your profession. I ment no harm by my initial thread. I have had some less then good experiences and I am too in love with my cars. Your posts sounds EXTERMELY knowledgable. I just get frusterated. Sorry.

Carlos - tell me this - I have a 1993 911. I am told different things about that every two years:
1) sometimes it is the tailpipe only.
2) 2x and 3x ago it was back to the rollers - WHICH I HATE on my 911 - it is Air Cooled and there no raditior in the front. Lowering that fan in front of the car can in no way simiulate the air getting to the REAR engine on the highway. I always am afraid of overheating. Nothing ever happens. I just get worried.
3) Last test - the guy said to me "Ummmmm.........boss says we don't drive Porsches" and I was back to the tailpipe test. Go figure..........

Oh well - it is not THAT bad - I have always passed.

Flagg
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
thanks for the accolades, no offense taken at all.
in va if is 96 0r nwer it gets an obd II test, just plug into the diagnostics plug and your done.
if older than 96 a couple of answers to the computer screen will determine wether it gets a two speed idle test or a dyno test, ..... does it have disengageable traction control? is it full time 4wd? or is it an all wheel drive.
generally speaking if is older than 96 and two wheel drive it will be put on the rollers. if at time of testing the ambient temperature is above 72 degrees we must use a fan infront of the motor to keep it cool otherwise the test is invalid.
I dont know what the procedure is in maryland, but I have tested several vehicles where the maryland or dc inspectors "could not test" or deemed "untest-able" and the owners brought them to the dealer (my place of employment) and I tested them with out a problem.
honestly I dont know what kind of training the city and the state gives to their inspectors but just like yours I have heard horror stories.
we must go by the book in va or the inspector could loose his/her licence and if repated violations the station could be banned from performing emmisions test, furthermore in order to be licenced as an inspector one must prove knoledge of automechanics thru a test.
heck I am up for renewal of my current licence in may and june, so I must attend and pass these classes in order to be renewed.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Wow - it sounds like VA takes it more seriously. Thanks for the infromation!

Flagg
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
oh yeah, they dont kid around, of course part of this deal is that in va you can go just about anywhere to get tested, not to a central location like dc and md.
also if an inspector has a question or hits a snag when testing Va DEQ is only a phone call away.
in va you donot need nor can make an appointment to get tested it is a first come first serve basis,.
and it is only 28.00 bucks. valid for two years.
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Tony, I can tell you my experience with taking Janey to get the safety and emmissions inspection since she is not eligible for historic plates yet. You should expect the same.

As Carlos says, it's all computer controlled now. They enter the VIN number and it uses that info to guide them. So when they enter your 110 vin number, it will come up as non-conforming and you will be sent to the department of environmental quality (DEQ) in Woodbridge.

Call first, make an appointment, and when you get there you'll be met by friendly folks who will just verify the vin matches the vehicle, and then give you a waiver for emissions since the vehicle wasn't produced for this market. The exact opposite of what you'd think would happen - probably because the computers can't be bypassed or something stupid, but I'll take it!

Take that to the DMV and you are done. You have to pass the safety portion of course.

charles
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Tony, come and see me when you are ready, we do not charge for state inspection and Im sure it would be a complete shock for the people of the dealer to see your truck.
as for the emmisions, Charles is right. BTW Charles not to hijack the thread how dit it go with the wrenching party on the second weekend?
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Carlos, I didn't get the diffs setup properly. Since I wanted to learn and am in no rush I haven't worked on it (and had a lot of other things to do like get my 110 ready for uhwarrie). I did take one down to uhwarrie and had someone show me how to set them up, and I'll try reproduce it for final assembly this weekend.

I haven't gotten my pictures up yet, but will post them and ask for opinions on the gear meshing pattern tonight.

charles
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tony,

Diesel- does it require emissions testing ever in Va ? Truck will have EPA exempt status. Something Janey doesn't have.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
maryland