Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Cost of living, Golden / Denver VS MD is your new job going to pay enough? I know when Tammy was looking there were a ton of jobs on the east coast that at the time seemed like they paid good but when we compared the cost of living we would be living in an apartment and broke.

Schools for your kids, how do they compare?
I am now jobless here and can't stay without employment so it's really not a matter of comparing Golden/Denver vs MD it's other job locations vs MD and from what I can tell so far in such a comparison MD comes through very favorably.

If I can find a way to stay I will but the odds there seem slimmer with each passing day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Brad, you can't beat this area for job opportunities. You can rope some of us in for some wheeling trips back to CO, and we can show you the "local" stuff. If you don't like it here, build up your cash reserves and move again. It's all good.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I heard Costa Rica is where it's at! Need to visit sometime.
I'll be there as soon as my home here sells, already built a new home there with a 02 D110 TD5 waiting. Anyone that wants to come down, I'd be glad to show them around, as long as you like kayak fishing in the ocean and beer drinking, because thats all we plan to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Ok, ok. Not to push Brad- but the correct spelling is Creig Northrop. And the website is www.thenorthropteam.com

He's good. I can give you much more info on MD and E.C. in general, but please PM me.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treuwer
Ok, ok. Not to push Brad- but the correct spelling is Creig Northrop. And the website is www.thenorthropteam.com

He's good. I can give you much more info on MD and E.C. in general, but please PM me.
Okay Mr correct spelling

It is so embarrasing, they currently have my house in Owings Mills for sale and I can't properly type their name

Thanks for the correction
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

I just want to see another Defender around here, and one with a tdi would be even better- maybe enough to convince me to give Trevor some more of my money.

Plus, you can't drive a mile around here without seeing his face somewhere- and oddly enough for a realtor that's a good thing.
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Brad,

I don't know why much of these post are so down on Maryland. I have lived here all my life. Grew up in Annapolis, got married and moved to Ellicott City, now live in Columbia (15 min. from old town Ellicott City).

There are many beautiful places my wife and I like to go, outside Maryland, but it is not a bad place at all to live. True, the mountains are not as big as CO, and there is not a trail at the end of your driveway, but it has a lot of good things as well.

It is a beautiful state. There is real diversity from the Ocean beaches, to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, to the inner harbor of Baltimore, to the Mountains in the western pan-handle (ok they are mere hills compared to CO).

The Chesapeake Bay is one of the most beautiful places to boat in the country. They have the largest in water boat shows in the country in Annapolis. The Volvo Ocean Race has picked the Chesapeake bay as one of there 10 +/- stops in the world, the last few round the world races. I grew up sailing and boating.......

The state is rich with history. Annapolis was the capital of the country for a while. There is a ton of civil war history - Maryland was a border state and many battles were fought here. Ellicott City was founded in 1774 before our country.

I love the weather. I love the seasons. We get a real Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall - with all the features (beautiful flowers, heat, snow, fall colors) - yet none are too long to get tired of. Great way to pass through the year. All this talk of rain???? The state could use a bit more really - we have had low rainfall the last few years. Yes it rains here - but I have never heard people complain as much about it, as some of the posts on this board........

Jobs are good. Housing is in a dip, but will always stay stronger then most of the country being right next to Washington DC and the government. You are close to airports, train stations, etc for travel.

There are some quite remote places. There are urban areas with tons of shopping.

You could become a Raven fan right away - because they are about to have another great season.........

There are a bunch of great Rover people around here, and some great Rover shops. There are a bunch of British Car Days with Rovers as well.

I would give Maryland a Chance, if you end up relocating......

Flagg
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Smile

What Flagg says!
I grew up in Columbia/Ellicott City and left in 95. We lived in Oella just outside of downtown Ellicott City when we left. I think Columbia/EC was a great place to grow up, live and work. The only thing I would dissagree with Flagg on is the winters. MD does not have real winters when compared to CO(read ; the skiing sucks). What they do have is high quality road and mountain bike riding and a true fall season.

AND the 1st LR dealer in the US was in MD
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Thank you everyone for the information. I know every place is different and I expect that... I just wanted to hear the unique perspective of the Rover crowd about what the state and area are like. I'll be out there this week flying in Sunday and leaving on Tuesday. I should have a decent amount of time to look around on my own as well (at least Monday afternoon/evening) so I look forward to seeing it for myself.

Of course a relocation will largely come down to the job in question not the state but everything adds into the considerations.
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Move there and buy this:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Tried to check it out last month when I was back in Bethesda but couldn't find his number at the time. MD is definitely worth checking out. I'm sure I'll move back on day.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
maryland