Married with 90s - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:38 PM
redrover

Married with 90s

Does anyone have a wife or girlfriend who hates your relationship with your 90? My wife cant stand my truck. She cant stand the time I spend working on it. And she wont even go wheelin with me. I have noticed several 90 owners that have seperated or divorced recently. Although it is none of my business, could any of you tell me if the 90 caused excessive stress in the relationship. I wish she could enjoy cars the way I do. Use em abuse em and keep on trucking. JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I am nowhere near divorce but my Land Rover obbsesion is a major source of arguments. I would say if I was not into Rovers it would cut down on arguments by about 75%. But if it's not Rovers I would be into somthing else. I used to rock climb, snow ski and whitewater kayak SEVERAL days a year. After having kids I used the excuse that having a car hobby would keep me home more. I am home more but I spend more time on the internet and spend more money than before. Since I started my rover obbsesion I have had:
1994 Disco
1969 iia swb
1968 109 sw
1994 D90
1972 iia swb
1988 RR
1988 130 crew cab.

I still have the Disco and the 130. I have promised my wife the 130 is the last Land Rover I will buy, for awhile even I belived this. I stil can't shake the idea of buyng another RRC,I love those cars, they are so cheap and great off road.
Oh well, it could be worse.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:02 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

My wife loves to wheel but my Disco was a constant cause of stress both to me and my wife mostly because how much we had to keep spending on it. But she was not too thrilled when I sold the Disco and took over her D90 when it was looking more and more that we were not going to replace the Disco with another 90 which was the whole reason I sold it for in the first place. And I know she is definatly not too thrilled that when I moved out, I took the D90 with me.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I can't say it was the single cause, however buying my 90, at the same time I owned a DII, was a big problem with a woman I dated and was too close to settling down with.

I guess my approach didn't help when I told her the day before the 90 was to show up at the door, that I had bought it.

I feel confident I was MUCH better off without her in the end. Nobody should ask you to change who you are or what your interestd in. Funny how the inanimate object won out on that one.

No group hugs please.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sorry to needle, but my wife grew up on a farm, and I cant pry the d90 out of her hands. She was even enthusiastic about me spending 20k on a rebuild. The only time I get to drive the 90 is when we are out together.

So the D90 is her toy, but I get to play with it. Its a good arrangement.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Mine almost ruined my marriage. The Defender just ain't no Disco, ain't no RR. She loves both of those and we started offroading in a disco which the d110 replaced. But things are calmer now, she's grown to accept that I have two brides. Things changed a bit when I got her behind the wheel. She will do mild rock crawling, with the stick, and she's actually pretty good and gets a real kick out of it.

Let her drive.

One of these days I'll do HER mod -- RR interior!

DW
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Peter
Peter
1997 D90

She hates riding as a passenger. She dislikes driving it but the loves the attention.

She has always said that if she were ever single again she would get a Rover with a winch and dog.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:31 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
I have noticed several 90 owners that have seperated or divorced recently. Although it is none of my business, could any of you tell me if the 90 caused excessive stress in the relationship.
LOL, I hope you are not talking about me. Anyway, my D90 did not cause our divorce it was something else. She did love my D90, she in fact helped me install some of the parts, and all she bought me for my birthdays and anniversaries were Defender parts. However, none of the parts that she bought is currently on my D90 right now.
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:41 PM
redrover

No Yousef, I was talking about a large number of owners. I am glad that she did accept your LR fetish. I just cant believe what a issue my truck is with the BOSS. I am going to be forced into double secret underworld LR closset time. Thats when you do all your Mods between 9pm and 6am. I might even have to wheel during those hrs. Rock on JP
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Me I think I'll never get divorced as I'll never get married as I spent all the time on (under) the 90...
I'm married with my Rover...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

My first defender almost ruined my marriage before I was married! About 2 months before I planned to propose to my wife (already had ring), I bought a 90. All she did was moan and bitch to me and everyone else about how I loved LR's more than her, and a stupid truck was more important than spending forever with her (now that I think about it, maybe I should have just hocked the ring and run at this point :>). Everybody knew the deal, and didn't say anything to her. Well, needless to say, she ate alot of words the night I proposed.
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:11 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I spent most of my money on Land Rovers and beer. The rest I just wasted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	december 2003 desert trip 017 (2).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1564  
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
this thread has been informative. thanks.
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:32 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I've been wheeling here in the southeast since 1998 almost full time. I gave up golf and even stopped working so hard at keeping the yard looking like it should. I have guns and fishing gear just leaning against the wall now. All in favor of an obsession for my "jealous mistresses."

1995 RRC LWB
1965 SIIa 88 soft top
1993 NAS D110 200/500
1995 RRC SWB
1997 Discovery trail rig
1973 SIII 109 Ex-MoD 3-door
1997 D-90 soft top

Only one argument in all the years and all these trucks, and it was my fault that I brought it up. My wife loves to wheel in the 90 (hated the RRCs and the 110) and my kids and their friends think its cool that I always offer to let them ride along on test runs through the neighborhood after wrenching on one all day. You have to engage your wife/kids/family in your hobby, not just expect them to want to join you on their own. I remember coming in the kitchen door and announcing I'd bought a RRClassic and they had 20 minutes to get their lunch packed we were hitting the trail. Never been the same since
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:38 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I have managed to get my girlfriend (who loves to talk about hitching up after college in a year YIKES!!) hooked on Land Rovers. All she wants now is a RRC. She does wonder sometimes about the time I spend with the 90. Like Chris's wife, she pulls the "You like your truck more than me" bit every now and then.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:33 AM
dante18
Dante
None

I have the simple way out. I divorced the (ex) wife before I bought the 90! Take that. Although I do have an unhealthy relationship with Ducati's, that one caused huge stress with the (ex) wife when I was married. So I got rid of her and bought 2 more! Take that. I have never added up how much these "hobbies" cost me, I think I would faint at the sight. And no, I am not bitter (much), she got the house and now some other hapless soul has his feet on MY coffee table (sucker). That is if her fat ass Mother is not there as usual. BTW new girl loves the Defender, I got ragged on for three days when I decided to put it up for sale. I say there is someone out there for everyone, including Rover addicts. I agree with Ron get them involved. Condolences CVC.
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante18
So I got rid of her and bought 2 more! Take that..

Ha!Great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante18
I say there is someone out there for everyone, including Rover addicts
Let's hope!
I'd like to meet a girl with a RRC V8.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Kevin I got a laugh out of your comment on LR's and beer.

I have a great wife, she even talked me into buying the D 90.

But it's like a wise old man once told me, "if it has tits or tires your gonna have trouble with it".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags