Man am I Lucky - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW
Man am I Lucky

Having owned a Defender in one configuration or another since 1997 has been a real treat. But the coolest thing that has happened (other than getting stuck) was this last weekend, when my wife officially approved me ripping out lots of wood from my gargae so the D90 with its new 3 inch lift and 35" tires can fit.

It was not until this year (8 long years I might add) that the relentless pressure finally released the funds to start the D90 upgrades. Once the upgrades occured, only one request was made - "it has to fit in the garage". Well since I missed the mark by a couple of inches, I thought I was doomed. Maybe she would say "take the tires off" or "go bakc to your old springs". I considered digging a ramp into the garage, jacking the whole thing up and adding height, etc. No matter what solution I considered - it was going to eat big-time into the upgrades budget, and then I had an idea . . .

Instead, after I told her that there were only a few pieces of wood I could rip out the thing would fit. Well, anyway - fingers crossed I ripped out enough of the header (is that structural?) so that the D90 fits, the garage still looks the same, and everyone is happy.

I'll keep everyone posted on whether the garage starts sagging - but my engineer dad says the whole set up was overkill anyway . . .

I don't post much, but do enjoy all of the stories and posts. Eventually, I will see some of you guys out there . . .

Old August 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

This weekend I had to extend our driveway down some more so her truck would fit in the driveway behind the D. Little to pay to have a D90 and a Disco in the driveway.

I would love to see pics (before and after) of the garage.

"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Cool! The previous owner of my 90 drove into his garage with the roof rack on by mistake and "modified" the garage for it too fit
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat