Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 11th, 2016, 12:59 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Madman Engine Monitoring Systems Defendersource discount

I've been talking with Brian at madman.co.za re. trying to arrange a group buy, but it looks like, thanks to the way shipping and customs works, it's probably better just to get a discount code that'll work on his website.

I don't have one, but folks rave about these, and I'm going to buy one (which is how this whole thing started). Multifunction, programmable engine monitors that can simultaneously monitor and display a bunch of things (temp, pressure, coolant level, etc).

They make two models, the EMS-1 (surface mount, with an inclinometer in addition to all the other stuff) and the EMS-2 (2.5" or something, which apparently fits perfectly into the coolant temp hole on a defender dash).

I'm being a bit vague because I can't access the .co.za website from here at work, so I cannot cut and paste specifics . . .

This spun out of a discussion on the technical discussions page called "owning a TDi," and now has been promoted to solo thread status.

Thanks to the current strength of the dollar relative to the South African Rand, these are cheaper than ever, with a monitoring system coming in at around $150, and the 300TDi sender kit (which is basically a pack of VDO senders) similarly priced. Might be cheaper to source your own senders, but there's a lot to be said for plug and play. . .

I reckon we'll get a 5 or 10% discount code, to be published soon, and valid for a limited time--I wanted to get this up so folks can start checking out the merchandise and seeing if they might want to take the plunge once Brian gets me the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

In for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
I'm in as well. Thanks for doing the leg work.

Did they by chance mention shipping timelines? They have been marked as out of stock on the website every time I've checked for the past six months or so. Maybe just bad timing on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:43 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Love mine it's the cat's meow.

Here's a thread with some info:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uge-60330.html
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:46 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I'm in for possibly an EMS1. Will fit perfectly over the little diff shifting instruction decal on the center console of the Disco.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:54 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I think I have an ems 1 sitting unused on my garage shelf. Let me verify what it is. I think it might just be the pyrometer version.
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
I'm in

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:14 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Love mine it's the cat's meow.

Here's a thread with some info:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uge-60330.html
You ever get yours hooked up to read boost?
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:26 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
You ever get yours hooked up to read boost?
Yes and no. I mistakenly thought that it could read two pressure signals simultaneously. It can only read one. So I have left it connected to engine oil for the moment.

Eventually I will push the oil pressure to a standalone gauge and run the boost signal to the EMS. I don't want to run a signal tube to the dash. I prefer the electronic signal and it seems like there isn't an electric signal option for boost in the VDO lineup.
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:33 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Will ask them re. availability--they've had a couple in stock every time I've been on there lately; maybe they just try to do just-in-time manufacturing . . .

Re. the other discussion, I'm planning to use mine for engine oil pressure, and will just buy a separate boost gauge and mount it in a pod somewhere.

And, yeah, also planning on mounting an EMS1 on the shift diagram--that's how the guy I've been talking to at madman has them set up in both of his diesel discos.
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:42 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Yes and no. I mistakenly thought that it could read two pressure signals simultaneously. It can only read one. So I have left it connected to engine oil for the moment.

Eventually I will push the oil pressure to a standalone gauge and run the boost signal to the EMS. I don't want to run a signal tube to the dash. I prefer the electronic signal and it seems like there isn't an electric signal option for boost in the VDO lineup.
Weird that they advertise displaying boost but fail to mention it comes at the cost of oil pressure.

I already had a boost gauge sitting on my shelf, so I'll probably stick with using it.
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Can anyone tell me the difference between this and the little black box?

http://www.littleblackbox.co.za/html/products.html
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:24 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Looks to me like the little black box just has warning lights--unless I'm totally misunderstanding what it is, it's just a pretty nice idiot light suite. The madman ems1 and 2 give readouts of whatever measured quality you want a readout of, and I think both display multiple readings at once, and both allow you to scroll quickly through the different data feeds to display what you're wondering about at the moment. Way more information than the little black box appears to provide.

Looks like I was reading that all correctly--here's a SA forum discussion on this very topic: Madman or Little Black Box - 4x4 Community Forum
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:44 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Well, dang. I'm all trying to make my dash look like a cockpit, then along comes this thing to do it all in one. Hummmmmm... what to do.....

Anyone have one actually hooked up to a 300Tdi right now? Is the sender kit that comes with it worth the price?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:57 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:57 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Certainly interested!
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
I am definitely interested!
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:50 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Madman Engine Monitoring Systems Defendersource discount

I just bought the EMS2 through the site and with the Tdi Kit plus shipping the total was 306.17. I had put it on my wish list on their site to be notified when their in stock, believed there to be 10-13 left.
Old February 13th, 2016, 01:41 PM
burlsube
Nick
1985 110 CSW

Registry
This is probably a stupid question, but can you run Madman in parallel with your stock (or vdo gauges)? Or does EMS2 render then not operable because the signal for each is now being routed to the EMS2.
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:05 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, folks, Madman thinks they'll have us all set up after the weekend. Discount code will only apply to EMS units and complete vehicle-specific kits. They just got a new courier, with chepaer rates and they're estimating about $40 per EMS/kit package.

Re. availability of the EMS units, here's what they had to say:

----------------
If I have stock, things can move quickly, but the EMS2 stock moves very quickly, I got 20 units in on Monday and I have 4 left, EMS1, which moves slower, is coming in on Monday 15 Feb.

More EMS2 are on order. We were just about to stop production on the standard EMS2 and change over to a new housing including new internal circuitry to suit the housing, but the new housing will take a bit more time to finalise so we must run another batch of the regular EMS2 units so there may be a bit of a delay in the next stock delivery.
---------------

Re. setting up your current senders to send to the madman and your stock or aftermarket gauges, it's probably possible, if your aftermarket or stock gauges use the exact same sender the madman unit is set up for, but in a discussion with Brian re. the senders in a disco, he mentioned leaving the stock coolant sender in place, or replacing it with the madman-spec sender (and "killing" the in-dash temp gauge), and never mentioned "hey, you can run both from the same sender" which it seems he would've if that were a possibility.

I have _got_ to start writing in shorter sentences. My apologies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, disco, engine