Madman Engine Monitoring Systems Defendersource discount - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCocito View Post
My values are always changing depending on which accessorize I turn on.. Heater, wiper, blinker, etc. if I plug it in directly to the battery then it's fine, but then it's not a switched power source.. Where should I wire the gauge to? And also, the relay cable isn't triggering the fan when it says it should be.(it works if I provide the relay switch cable with current) Does the purple go directly to the relay switched cable? Thanks!
You have an engine ground problem. The voltage supply level is never a concern as the unit is designed to have variable voltage supply. If there is a difference between the unit ground and the sender ground, the readings will be wrong and vary with load on other users. It is best to run the EMS ground to the engine. Check that your engine to chassis ground is good.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
....vdo150 to replace my vdo gauge. I have the vdo sender 323-088.
That sender is a 120 C sender. You have the EMS set incorrectly. It should be set for VDO120.

Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCocito View Post
And also, the relay cable isn't triggering the fan when it says it should be.(it works if I provide the relay switch cable with current) Does the purple go directly to the relay switched cable?

Thanks!
Purple switches ground. It should be connected to the ground side of the relay coil. Make sure the programming is correct to use that output for fan control and not for an alarm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2016, 01:49 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Purple switches ground. It should be connected to the ground side of the relay coil. Make sure the programming is correct to use that output for fan control and not for an alarm.
Ahhh okay makes sense now.. Now I just have to fix the ground issue...

Thanks!
Old August 20th, 2016, 11:28 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Finally getting around to installing mine. So far so good, but I'm not a fan of working with the small diameter wires the harness is made up of.

Has anyone tried hooking up to both oil pressure and boost? The site makes it sound like it's one of the other, but not both.
Old August 21st, 2016, 02:57 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

It's designed for one or the other--I imagine there might be a way to set up two pressure senders with a switch so you could toggle between the feeds, but you'd have to set the low oil pressure alarms pretty low to avoid having them go off when you are monitoring boost and idling... I plan to run a separate boost gauge and am using the madman for the really critical reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 21st, 2016, 04:32 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
It's designed for one or the other--I imagine there might be a way to set up two pressure senders with a switch so you could toggle between the feeds, but you'd have to set the low oil pressure alarms pretty low to avoid having them go off when you are monitoring boost and idling... I plan to run a separate boost gauge and am using the madman for the really critical reading.

I was thinking the same thing except I can't find an electric vdo boost gauge but can find an electric vdo transmission pressure gauge. I don't want to run a boost hose into the cabin if I don't have to.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:25 AM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Quote:

That's what I figured regarding dual pressure readings. Oh well. I do have a boost gauge sitting on the shelf, which means another gauge to deal with.

I'm finding I need to fiddle with the low pressure alarm settings when feeding from the stock switch. My pressure is fine and the stock warning light goes off when I start the engine. I'm wondering what value you have your low setting at? I've read that the stock switch opens at 0.5bar.

My current mad scientist train of thought is using a second temp sender to read the boosted air temp and controlling the electrics in my air/water intercooler setup via the purple wire off the back of the EM2.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:34 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
That's what I figured regarding dual pressure readings. Oh well. I do have a boost gauge sitting on the shelf, which means another gauge to deal with.

I'm finding I need to fiddle with the low pressure alarm settings when feeding from the stock switch. My pressure is fine and the stock warning light goes off when I start the engine. I'm wondering what value you have your low setting at? I've read that the stock switch opens at 0.5bar.

My current mad scientist train of thought is using a second temp sender to read the boosted air temp and controlling the electrics in my air/water intercooler setup via the purple wire off the back of the EM2.
Hmmm, the stock switch should only connect to the wire driving the alarm, not the wire driving the pressure reading. So, in the setup as designed, you should always be feeding two pressure feeds--an alarm feed (same one that operates the idiot light) and a pressure-measurement feed.

So is the alarm on the Madman activating even as the unit displays a non-alarming (couldn't resist) pressure reading?

If so, is it possible you have the switch type setting (which I recall dimly was the only option for that one feature) set incorrectly? (I don't remember if the stock switch is normally-open or normally-closed, but I do know I had to do some digging to figure it out and ensure the Madman was set appropriately)
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The low pressure switch closes on low pressure, thus letting the light turn on. The MadMan, if hooked up to the pressure switch will alarm on it closing.

The pressure gauge has its own alarm settings which you can adjust or turn off.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:24 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

I've read the stock switch is normally closed, which completes the circuit and illuminates the warning light. I'm hoping to align the EMS with the actual closed setting so that the alarms are in synch. I wasn't aware the optional oil pressure sender (grey wire) had its own alarm.

The blue wire from the EMS unit connects to the white/brown wire from the stock oil pressure switch. The grey wire is for the optional oil pressure sender. I have both set up correctly as far as I know - they both seem to be working as I'd expect. It now feels a bit redundant considering the stock warning light works and the EMS oil pressure sender is reading correctly and has its own alarm as well. I'll probably disconnect the blue wire for now.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 07:40 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I've read the stock switch is normally closed, which completes the circuit and illuminates the warning light. I'm hoping to align the EMS with the actual closed setting so that the alarms are in synch. I wasn't aware the optional oil pressure sender (grey wire) had its own alarm.

The blue wire from the EMS unit connects to the white/brown wire from the stock oil pressure switch. The grey wire is for the optional oil pressure sender. I have both set up correctly as far as I know - they both seem to be working as I'd expect. It now feels a bit redundant considering the stock warning light works and the EMS oil pressure sender is reading correctly and has its own alarm as well. I'll probably disconnect the blue wire for now.
Have you hooked both the EMS and the stock light to the same pressure switch? You should not do that!

Also do not use the pressure sender for the main alarm. They are not as reliable at reading very low pressures as the switch.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:05 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Have you hooked both the EMS and the stock light to the same pressure switch? You should not do that!

Also do not use the pressure sender for the main alarm. They are not as reliable at reading very low pressures as the switch.

I actually asked Brian Cotton re this issue, and he said both the blue wore and the stock wore should be connected to the stock sender, with the grey wore going to the VDO for actual readings. Essentially adds a Madman idiot light to your stock idiot light; fully intended to be redundant.

I hooked it up that way, and it's working great.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:20 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Quote:
I actually asked Brian Cotton re this issue, and he said both the blue wore and the stock wore should be connected to the stock sender, with the grey wore going to the VDO for actual readings. Essentially adds a Madman idiot light to your stock idiot light; fully intended to be redundant.

I hooked it up that way, and it's working great.

Yep. That's how I understand it and it's working like this for me too. In fact everything is working fine for me.

I think some of my confusion was not knowing there is a second alarm state for the pressure sender. I also have just the one 'on' key position with my Series, unlike the Defender, so the alarm started screaming at me when I was just sitting there fiddlin' with things.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I also have just the one 'on' key position with my Series, unlike the Defender, so the alarm started screaming at me when I was just sitting there fiddlin' with things.
Defenders only have one on position as well. At least mine does.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:34 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Quote:
So the alarms going off in the keyed 'on' position without the engine running is normal for everyone then.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yep but it is supposed to wait 30 seconds.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:57 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Sounds right. Thanks. I think I have things sorted aside from some minor fiddling with the gauge settings.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
nope. they have two. I just did some rewiring of my dash and accessories to better take advantage of them. position one (orange/white) is accessory. Radio, etc. Position two is ignition (green) for things like fuel pumps, gauges, fuel stop solenoid, etc. position three is starter.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not on my truck. Off - On - Glow (momentary) - Start. They probably added the accessory position to the later trucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, disco, engine