Madman Engine Monitoring Systems Defendersource discount - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 13th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The specific question is can you run a VDO gauge (say a coolant temperature gauge) from the same VDO sender that is being used by the MadMan?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2016, 09:17 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The specific question is can you run a VDO gauge (say a coolant temperature gauge) from the same VDO sender that is being used by the MadMan?
I'll check. Maybe one can install a splitter and get two signals from the same sender . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2016, 09:17 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Re: Disco sending unit.
If a sending unit can't be used for two devices, and I prefer not to have a dead gauge on my dash, I wonder if the EMS1 coolant temp can be used to read another fluid temp such as oil temp or transmission temp.
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2016, 09:42 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

No need for a dead coolant temp gauge on your dash--the standard 300TDI engine specific kit has a temp sender that goes up at the front of the engine, near the thermostat. Your stock sender (on a disco, I believe it's mid-head, driver's side [LHD]) remains in place and does its job merrily.

I was asking Brian if I could instead put a coolant level gauge up by the thermostat (rather than use screws in the expansion tank), and stick their temp sender in the stock sender location . . . he doesn't recommend that and doesn't have his discos set up that way.

All that to say a) it is completely possible to run the madman sender kit and retain a fully functional stock temp gauge, and b) I still don't know if it's possible to run the stock gauge and the madman from the same sender, but will let you know what I hear back.
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
what are the differences in the new design ems2? is it worth waiting for?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:17 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

I asked Brian at madman (who may soon just get a defendersource account so he can answer questions himself on this thread) this question--sound like the answer is "no." He's hoping the new design (which will be smaller diameter--52mm, which will be a direct fit to Defenders--and some other improvements, is not yet even at the prototype stage. Even if he gets several new units in soon, he'd rather run them in local trucks to make sure all the kinks are worked out, rather than sending them to the 'States.

My sense is that the new EMS2 will just be an incremental change, with no new major features. (no new sender feeds, for instance), so he wouldn't recommend holding out for it, particularly since sometimes development of new items takes far longer than planned
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
I asked Brian at madman (who may soon just get a defendersource account so he can answer questions himself on this thread) this question--sound like the answer is "no." He's hoping the new design (which will be smaller diameter--52mm, which will be a direct fit to Defenders--and some other improvements, is not yet even at the prototype stage. Even if he gets several new units in soon, he'd rather run them in local trucks to make sure all the kinks are worked out, rather than sending them to the 'States.

My sense is that the new EMS2 will just be an incremental change, with no new major features. (no new sender feeds, for instance), so he wouldn't recommend holding out for it, particularly since sometimes development of new items takes far longer than planned
ok thanks. but you lost me at the fit size. I thought the ems2 available now was a direct fit.

Old February 15th, 2016, 03:11 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

You can't use a thermocouple with two different devices, but there are thermocouples that have two senders in one probe. You can use any thermocouple so long as it is the same "type". The type of thermocouple refers to the temperature/voltage curve. The VDOs us, if I recall correctly, a type K probe.

From https://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z004.pdf ...
Quote:
Can I split my one T/C signal to
two separate instruments?
A. No. The T/C signal is a very lowlevel
millivolt signal, and should
only be connected to one device.
Splitting to two devices may result
in bad readings or loss of signal.
The solution is to use a “dual” T/C
probe, or convert one T/C output to
a 4-20 mA signal by using a
transmitter or signal conditioner;
then the new signal can be sent to
more than one instrument.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:55 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
ok thanks. but you lost me at the fit size. I thought the ems2 available now was a direct fit.

Me too--current models are 57mm; next generation will be 52; possibly the current one fits after a bit of filing and the new one will pop right in?
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:05 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

There is a lip on the binnacle for a 52mm gauge. You have to shave the lip down so that it is flush to surface mount the EMS2 onto the binnacle.
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm planning on installing it in a Mud UK center console.
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:49 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Any update on this discount code? I noticed a posting on their site that prices are going up at the end of the month. Just wondering if I should hold out for a code or buy now while the getttin's good.
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:02 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

I'll ping him--he told me Friday he thought he'd have it all set up over the weekend . . .
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:11 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

From Brian at Madman re. timing of the discount code:

------------------

I have no stock at the moment anyhow, not sure if the new stock price will apply right away or later, either way, the deal price will be less than non-deal price.

You are looking at at least 15% off the price of the day, and the new stock price will probably be 10% up on old stock price, when applied. So worst case you still see at least 5% off old price which is 15% off new price.

It will be worth the wait. I am awaiting info on the new pricing and ETA

I can only enable the price structure when the online shop has stock, you cannot fill a shopping basket if there is no stock. They can put their items in a wishlist in the mean time and simply convert the wishlist to a basket when stock is ready - The discount will be applied on the final checkout page via a coupon.
-----------------------
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
thanks. question. since all my senders are vdo, all i need is gauge and harness correct? if so, can sometime tell me which harness to get for the defender binnacle LHD? lookd like they come in different lengths.

Old February 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Thanks for your help Bill.

I've created an account and saved my wishlist. Standing by for stock and a discount code.
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:46 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Mark,
I'd say to go ahead and write Brian with that question re. sender harness; I feel like I'll just impede resolution by sticking an ignorant guy in the middle.

Sales@madman.co.za
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:06 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, folks, here's the deal, per Brian at Madman:
-----------------
The coupon code is DEFENDERSOURCE-MARCH andf it will give less 15% on all items under the EMS systems category with a minimum purchase of R 1500 (100 usd)

It will activate on 1 March and for the month of March. If there is stock, it can be processed.

Only addresses in USA will qualify. Hopefully it works, if not we will have to do it manually...
-----------------

If items you want aren't in stock, please create a wishlist; this will a) ensure you get the discount even if the items you want aren't back in stock until after March and b) let Brian know how much demand is out there.

Please pass this along to d-source friends with TDis who might not have seen this thread.
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
Only addresses in USA will qualify.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Karma's a bitch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, disco, engine