Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Macbook

I picked up a Macbook Pro last week...my first computer purchase ever. No complaints, rock solid! In fact, I handed my work laptop over to my son and now using the Mac full time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have had an iMac for a year and just got a MacBook last month. NEVER any issues and will never go back to IBMs. My only complaint is some of my specialized programs that are only on the IBM, or I had to upgrade some of my programs to work on Leopard - like Photoshop.

Well worth the extra money for a Mac!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Well worth the extra money for a Mac!
Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I hate mine.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I've had 2 macs in the past few years, and got rid of both and use PC's only.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I grew up on Macs. Owned at least one of every generation. They used to be great. They're just getting crappier and crappier now. I think they are focusing too much on making a pretty product, and not a quality product.

I currently have a 15" Macbook Pro. I have had nothing but issues with the batteries (on #3 right now), the power supplies (on #2 right now), and the SuperDrive (crapped out 2 months after I bought the thing- wont rip or burn CDs or DVDs, and I havn't gotten around to replacing it yet because they told me it would take 2 weeks and going 2 weeks without a computer when you are in college is quite the pain in the ass). The hard drive sounds like it's on its way out too- making all sorts of awful clicking sounds. This computer is about 16 months old.

I paid $300 extra (on top of the initial $2500 for the laptop) for an extended warranty, and every time I call with an issue or go into an Apple store, I get nothing but attitude and excuses. They have done everything they can to dodge taking care of the issues, and I have called a couple times with Mac software issues as well (I was having issues making AirTunes work), and they wont answer my questions because my warranty does not extend to the software. You'd think that for $2800, a) the product wouldn't be designed as a disposable product, b) they could take 2 minutes to help me with their software, and c) they could at least show me some respect.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Wow...lol...I don't like what I'm hearing. So far so good on my end...it's worked seamlessly so far. I haven't even needed to use VMWare Fusion, which allows me to run a virtual instance of XP if needed. I'm able to use citrix applications without any headaches.

The only thing I don't care for is the beret wearing, clove smoking, beatniks that work at the apple stores. I already decided that any interaction I would have with the apple would be via phone. Fingers crossed.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I got my first mac a few years ago and couldn't be happier. They have excellent quality hardware imo, just work, and are secure and less prone to viruses (for many reasons, but largely based on it's BSD based OS). Now that they are intel based I think the laptops are worth getting for the hardware alone if you still use windows.

I'd be curious why Chris and Ryan didn't like their macs as they provide no detail.

charles
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

yea. didn't mean to piss on your parade. sorry.

I have had better luck going in and dealing with them in person than I have had on the phone. Something about letting them see just how pissed off I am seems to have worked in my favor.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I wouldn't worry too much, my friend has had 5 I/power/probooks in the last few years and hasn't had a single problem!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Mac's are great for some people, but for some of us, they just don't work... they slowed me down a lot and a lot of software on it was just a pain in the ass. Maybe it's just me... OS/X is nice, but to me, I'd rather just have one Win box and one *nix machine... plus I just hate the fact that as soon as you spend $2k for a piece of hardware, they immediately come out with something better that you want! I have an iPhone and I'm happy with it (well, other than the fact that I need to buy a new one next month!), but the whole mac thing just isn't for me, I'd suggest one for my mom or sister due to ease of use though.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm a glutton for punishment and run both. My IBM tablets have been pretty stable, and the mac only gets turned off when we move. At least with win XP I'm not reinstalling windows every 12-18 months like I used to have to do. The mac system has been pretty trouble free. I have had to return mac keyboards under warranty though, never done that with a PC. I have to admit I'm often swayed by design over practicality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We were having discusions about this on another site.. here is my problems with my MAC

Quote:
And patches? My Apple pulls updates and patches every time I use it. Its actually more annoying than the MS patches because I always have to reboot. I especially loved the MAC updates that cause all my apps not to work anymore and I need to spend a day reinstalling everything. I just ignore updates now on it. Granted you get those kinds of magic updates once in a while on PCs too.

Things that go boom for no reason? I'm on my 3rd super drive on my G4 Powerbook. MACs go boom for no reason, dont kid yourself, and its usually much more expensive to fix it than all the options you have for PCs.

iPhoto suck balls. Once it sucks your pictures in... IT KEEPS THEM FOREVER, even long after you delete the originals. Went to a strip bar to celebrate your bachelor party? Dont even think about connecting that camera to the MAC because the thumbnails will be there until the 2nd coming of Christ no matter what you try to do to get rid of them. This is especially a treat 5 years later when your young nieces and nephews crowd around when you plug a PSP into the MAC to load a movie onto it and BAM.. here comes iPhoto blazing up uninvited and guess what thumbnails are dab smack there in the middle of the screen? Yup.. the pictures of trixie doing that special "pole" maneuver on you.

Want to make a photo DVD? Good luck figuring that out. I've spent 3 years trying to figure that one out and killed about 5000 DVDs. Save them though, they make great xmas tree ornaments, coasters, and disco balls.

Network printing to a printer on a home network print server? Good luck.. 4 years and counting I still cant print from my MAC. Trying to print to a printer shared off a PC? Hang yourself quickly.

Want more fun, if you have a home NAS, you need to know command code to set some path to be able to access it.

Learning a MAC is easier than a PC?.. eat me. After almost 4 years of trying and wanting so badly to fully switch over to my MAC I still know nothing about how to be productive on it. I only use it now mostly for ripping DVDs and if I want a light weight laptop to travel with.
Quote:
Ahhh.. feel the Apple awesomeness of zero work around options. More Apple greatness.. the airport card died in my powerbook this week.. the only replacements you can get from the apple store is the non-compatible airport xtreme and no stores sell a mac compatible PCMCIA wireless card.

I can see how this is WAY better than PC's where you can go into a 7-11 practically and get replacement parts, install them on your own, and be back up and working inside of a smoke break.
Quote:
Since everyone else is tossing in their opinions of MACs, heres mine: I HATE my G4 Powerbook. It is the by far the worst computer I have ever owned and most frustrating to try and adapt to. I've spent 4 years trying and trying to love it, but sadly, I've completely given up on it and come to terms that the only thing its good for is making backups of my DVDs and looking stylish on my counter top. I cant even surf the internet anymore because I dont feel like paying $100 for a replacement airport card that only does 11mbps.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I love my Mac Book Pro. No issues, no problems. I smashed my PC with a hammer. Always slow or bogged down. Full of spy ware. Mac is always fast and simple to use.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I HATE my G4 Powerbook. It is the by far the worst computer I have ever owned and most frustrating to try and adapt to.
Send it to me then! That way my kids can each have one instead of sharing/fighting over my old G4 powerbook like they do now

Oh, incidentally the hard drive just failed on it. I think it had a decent life so I'm not concerned. Hardware does fail... I'll slap another drive in it and it'll work for many more years.

But I fully acknowledge that everyone each has their own preferences and I say use whatever you prefer! I use linux myself across the board other than my macbook pro. The only reason I started down the mac path was for the awesome laptop hardware, but I happen to find the OS very usable and stable as well. It's also perfect for my wife and kids since although I am a geek, I prefer not to have to play system administrator at home (except for my own needs)

charles
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Parent's have a iMac and love it. Friend of mine has 2 iMacs and if she does anything graphics intensive for too long the computer locks up due to overheating.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I hate mine.
Maybe you just got a lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
yea. didn't mean to piss on your parade. sorry.

I have had better luck going in and dealing with them in person than I have had on the phone. Something about letting them see just how pissed off I am seems to have worked in my favor.
No worries, you're entitled to your opinion. It's actually good to know what I might be facing...especially since I've pretty much have only used MS products. I might run into some of the problems you've mentioned and think it's just me doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I got my first mac a few years ago and couldn't be happier. They have excellent quality hardware imo, just work, and are secure and less prone to viruses (for many reasons, but largely based on it's BSD based OS).
When I went in the store (hopefully for the last time), I asked about antivirus software, the guy almost had a heartache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Now that they are intel based I think the laptops are worth getting for the hardware alone if you still use windows.
That was a major selling point...the combination of bootcamp and vmware fusion pretty much made it a done deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Mac's are great for some people, but for some of us, they just don't work... they slowed me down a lot and a lot of software on it was just a pain in the ass. Maybe it's just me... OS/X is nice, but to me, I'd rather just have one Win box and one *nix machine...
It's just you! Kidding! I think it does take some initial effort getting used to it. Before I bought the macbook, I would spend all about 3 minutes before given up on it at the apple store or best buy. I finally spent an evening with a friend's macbook, forced myself to use it. I really like the mouse pad and how it functions.

Quote:
plus I just hate the fact that as soon as you spend $2k for a piece of hardware, they immediately come out with something better that you want! I have an iPhone and I'm happy with it (well, other than the fact that I need to buy a new one next month!), but the whole mac thing just isn't for me, I'd suggest one for my mom or sister due to ease of use though.
This I definitely agree with, if I had the original iPhone, I wouldn't be to thrilled with Apple right now. Great marketing there...offer a BETTER phone for half the price after releasing the original only a year before. Let's see how many of our original customer base we can piss off!

The only other headache that I've found is upgrading the hard drive (Macbook pro only). The hard drive isn't easy to get to.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

i bought a macbook pro for my wife this past xmas. we both love it but really haven't spent the time trying to figure out how to use much of what it has to offer. we've been pc users our whole lives so i guess converting to the mac has been slow.

any tutorials out there that would allow me to fully make the transition and figure out how to use this machine in more detail? they are probably sitting on the mac and i just haven't found or looked hard enough for them.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
plus I just hate the fact that as soon as you spend $2k for a piece of hardware, they immediately come out with something better that you want! I have an iPhone and I'm happy with it (well, other than the fact that I need to buy a new one next month!), but the whole mac thing just isn't for me, I'd suggest one for my mom or sister due to ease of use though.
Thats true, but when you look at the cell phone market RIM and Motorola do the same thing all the time, people just don't get so excited about the release to run out and buy them like with the iPhone when it hit. Plus, although the new one is better, the original iPhone is still better than any of the Blackberrys currently on the market! IMO

What I like most about the MacBooks is that the battery lasts sooooo much longer than any PC laptop does. My 15.4" VAIO only lasts a couple hours on battery, especially if watching a movie on a plane or surfing the internet. My friend's 17" PowerBook even outlasts it by a couple hours!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

well my iPhone is only a few months old, I actually got it as a refurb deal at AT&T for $250, so its not too bad... but it's just like every other apple release... you go out of date on technology wayyy too fast.. plus, just look at replacement parts, my powersupply on one of my home pc's blew out the other day, I spent $37 for a replacement at circuit city (I needed it immediately back up)... power supply for a mac pro-~$350.00 .... When a mac works, it works nicely, when something goes wrong, it sucks.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
If you can stand it, you can make an appointment at the apple store, they'll have a rep sit down with you and help you get to know your mac. I want to say that it's included as part of your purchase...if not just free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallest1
i bought a macbook pro for my wife this past xmas. we both love it but really haven't spent the time trying to figure out how to use much of what it has to offer. we've been pc users our whole lives so i guess converting to the mac has been slow.

any tutorials out there that would allow me to fully make the transition and figure out how to use this machine in more detail? they are probably sitting on the mac and i just haven't found or looked hard enough for them.
Follow-up Post:

Quote:
When a mac works, it works nicely, when something goes wrong, it sucks.
Sounds like most foreign cars I've owned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac