Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Lucky8 needs some help

I have been getting a few phone calls lately asking “What the F**k is going on?” So, I thought I would take some time to talk about the new direction of L8.
The short version is we want L8 to be your one stop shopping source for all of your Land Rover off road gear. Over the last few months, we have been getting deals with some of the best names in the industry like KAM, Mantec and RoverTym but we are still far from our goal and we need your help.

First off, I know the website needs an update. The goal is for it to work like this: Lets say you want a set of cones. When you search for cones, it will not just show you the Lucky8 cones, it will list all of them. So you will be able to see cones from all of the manufacturers like:
Equipe
Qt
RTE
TerrafirMa
Etc
Etc
With this in mind, what are your likes and dislikes about our website? What do we need to change?

Secondly, I don’t know every product out there, and I don’t know all the manufacturers. The question I have for you is what are we missing?

One last note…

Chris Ray or (Mud Ruts from internet fame) has joined the L8 family and will be in charge of Sale Specials, Club and Group buys, Surfing the web, and most of all, filling Rover Dogs water bowl.
I look forward to your posts or you can email me directly at Justin@Lucky8LLC.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Justin,
Since you asked. I saw some Equipe stuff on Rugbiers new/my old truck that I liked and had never seen before and was wondering what you were getting for them. I went to your site and couldn't find the parts anywhere. Whats up with that ?
Doug

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Doug
What parts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool front and rear light protectors

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Justin,

I am sure Doug is referring to the Headlight Covers and the individual rear lights covers. ( he digged the bumper and the bonnet 5bars palte as well )

Also the I am sure when he sees them installed , he might like the Bumperettes.

Now, can I go back to clean bathrooms? *LMAO*

QUICK EDIT:

Damn, everyone beats my post *LOL*
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier

Now, can I go back to clean bathrooms? *LMAO*

Its my day for bathrooms its your turn to make coffee

Im sorry make Italian coffee
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Lmao
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
Im sorry make Italian coffee
But use Dominican coffee beans

Justin, i think the website is pretty good, you have
pics and video of products you sell, which is excellent.
I'll try to spot some flaws.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Justin,

Keep bringing in the Ashcrofts stuff! It is awesome and it keeps us out of the GBR vs Brand X debates.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
I'll try to spot some flaws.
I'm not going to say a damn thing , you'll have to
check similar thread on dweb .
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Justin I don't have time to take a close look at your site, but I think like your forum software choice you just need something better. It's like you are trying to run with your hands tied behind your back. Undo the rope, put on some tennies, and run. May I suggest a better tool that is free and cross platform?

http://demo.magentocommerce.com/

Oh, and take a look at the w3c validator and fix all the errors it reports for your site. it will ensure cross browser compatibility and a better experience for your site visitors.

http://validator.w3.org/

There is too much on the front page BTW.

hth,
charles
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

well..... honestly I find your sight a pain in the ass to work through to find anything... everything seems to be there but it's not as intuitive as I'd like to see (yea not very detailed feedback but... not sure what you want to hear)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Its nice to see advertised parts on customers trucks in action, not some Model that sees no action.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Maybe if more than one manufacturer has the same type of part, you could include a writeup from each company that describes the benefits of their product as well as reviews on the subject from consumers to help the decision making of your potential clients.

Maybe a group buy discount to give us a better deal and up your sales.
For example, GBR is now offering 443 ratio ARB setups. I am interested in that. I'f 4 other people want it, we all save $200 a piece and everyone is real happy.

How about a coupon of the week? 10% off certain product from a certain manufacturer each week. Spark interest and sales for all the companies you are selling for.
And I love you too
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Justin...I appreciate how the Expedition Exchange site is set up. http://www.expeditionexchange.com/
When you click on the products link...it has manufacturer...type...and application....ALL on one page. They have a bunch of cool shit...both rover and non-rover...but everything is geared for what I see as the general "Rover Lifestyle." I also find it helpful how they have a bunch of pics and write up on the products they sell in action/use. You should also post a direct link to manufacturers links if they're available...ie...http://www.equipe4x4.com/index.asp?lang=eng
And lastly...set up an email listing...when I receive AB promotional emails I always browse to see what the current offers are. If AB would have free shipping for D-90 members (no matter how much they spend)...I'd buy something everytime!!!...But b/c they always make it a min amount of $250..I never buy anything!!! I think the group buy idea is huge...post some limited time offers stating as soon as you get so many buyers+...you'll offer a considerable discount! Hope you're around for a while I have some big plans with several Equipe products!!! just some ideas...justin
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Lucky8,

I would have to agree with Charles with regards to the framework of the site. Wrong technology (.asp)and i am sure it would be pricy to change or your being held hostage by the original developer! The Magento Commerce software is very nice, we have installed and set it up for a bunch of our clients...automatically does everything a proper cart should do including automatically querying shipping costs on check out and printing shipping labels. Very Nice, a bit of a learning curve though! (it's free and supported by a huge community)

With your existing site, i believe you have all the bits you need to improve it somewhat. I would suggest a few of the following for usability and training the end users eye.

1. Home Page - more overall structure off framework / column definition (right column sectioned off from main content area, either another dotted line vertical or slight shaded border.)
  2. Home Page - more horizontal lines breaking up content sections on pages. e.g between content and banners.
  3. ALL Pages - More use of Section headers - so people know where they are without going through the menu again.
  4. ALL Pages - when looking at a page - look at the white space - the distance between blocks of content. try to keep the white space uniform between content - not to much or to little.
  5. Smaller supplier logos - maybe uniform them with a same sized square border / shadowed background around them. more of a grid than columns.
  6. Main Navigation - Drop downs are a bit clumsy, but could be enlarged and styled slightly different...should be straight forward for the current person managing the site.
  7. Header Image Area - Phone number fuzzy (add other contact details) great place up there for a specials banner.
  8. Product listings - my biggest issue - ADD thumbnail images in list view / also more noticeable links to click through!
  9. Product listings - more padding in the table layout - a little more bordering (light color)
  10. Product listings - enlarge the fonts a few points
  11. Product details page...lots of space - output the images larger...more or larger text
Most other stuff works well!

I like the following:
  1. The Rover Dog Section
  2. Customers and the use of videos
  3. The use of the maps for locations (need a locations in the North West )
  4. The styling of your contact forms (very clean and positioned well)
  5. Great logo and the use of the dotted line on the left and bottom
  6. Very nice list of suppliers and products
Cheers,
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

EE's site is the best by far.

Ron
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

it doesnt need a lot of bells and whistles. You just need to explain "its better because...or your shit is less likely to break on the trail because....

You need to get people to trust brands that you offer. I am considering a purchase on a product supplied by the companies. I am only familiar with two of them. I am not going to purchase from company #3 because I have not read about why I should.

I also assume that I can not contact the companies direct and ask for a better price?
It is the Obama era. Everyone fights for every dollar we can get now days but customer service and dealing with the original manufacturer goes a long ways.

GBR just spent a half hour on the phine with me to help me with something for no reason except they were cool.

just thoughts
And I love you too
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Shane,

I know Chris ( Mud Ruts ) has joinned efforts with Lucky8 and his main function ( other than making coffe for Justin and fill Rover Dog's water bowl ;-) ) is to create Group Buy specials, I believe he has run couple so far , one being a Mantec Snorkel and maybe I am screwing it up but think it was in the nature of protection .

I like the idea of email list including the coupon of the week or even a plain list and include the coupon on the site, also a E-Commerce basket would be awesome, as sometimes we like to place orders on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
Maybe if more than one manufacturer has the same type of part, you could include a writeup from each company that describes the benefits of their product as well as reviews on the subject from consumers to help the decision making of your potential clients.

Maybe a group buy discount to give us a better deal and up your sales.
For example, GBR is now offering 443 ratio ARB setups. I am interested in that. I'f 4 other people want it, we all save $200 a piece and everyone is real happy.

How about a coupon of the week? 10% off certain product from a certain manufacturer each week. Spark interest and sales for all the companies you are selling for.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Justin, We all know your site needs upgrading, thats why I just call and bug you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat