lt230rc - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 28th, 2003, 12:38 PM
redrover

lt230rc

Happy Hollidays from Vail CO. I am considering a GBR gear change in my lt230. Has anyone done the conversion? and what are your thoughts? I am not so much curious about the labor as the over all performance and strenght. jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:39 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd say that if you have the bux... do it... You can go back and forth about the diff ratios but in the end you will have paid a little less money if you do the work yourself... I don't trust the LR diff below 4.11 gears with bigger than 35" tires. This is sort of a cross over point... If you go bigger than 35" you should consider axle upgrades (like Salisbury) at least for the rear and even the front if you use a locking diff up there... But again it depends an awful lot on what you are going to do with the truck and in what kind of terrain...
I know guys that run 37's with my half shafts and an ARB (locked most the time) in the rear and the low gears live a long life, until they hit a place like Moab, then everything goes to pieces (literally) {but not the half shafts}

What part of the 230's are you wanting to change? High Range? Low range? Or both?

The install is easy and could even be done in the truck if your bearings don't need replacing...

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:16 AM
redrover

lt230RC

Thanks for reply Keith, I was looking at the great basins rover low range set. Maybe you dont have to pull out the tranny. I read a conversion by rich hill on this site in the facts section. He did remove trans. With my 4.10 diffs ,the lower gear set would really help with crawl and especially comp breaking. I have owned a few 4cyl jeeps in the past that were much more enjoyable to drive down steep sections with the engine breaking. What did Troy have in his white 90? I remember it had a pretty low -low? Not that the whole drive train isnt a weak spot, But i just hope the lower tran gears wont create a new weak spotin system. PS I run HD axles,lockers and 35s, and dont plan on larger tires in the future. Thanks jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:59 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Jp, Troy was running GBR 4.75 gears only.

4.10 and GBR low range kit will give a very good comp breaking with your auto with out creating any weak spot.
Before the summer comes I will go down to 4.10 and run GBR low range kit since this setup will hold against the 38X14.5 SX's just fine
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:55 PM
tbmcneill

jp-
i'd say do it if you've got the time and $$$. its the only way (IMHO), to get low gearing in a stock drivetrain 90 without swapping out axles (as in a 60, sals, or 9" conversion).

it will require some grinding in the case for the gears to fit, though.
T

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lt230