Old March 25th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
NOS = Genuine parts that haven't been available for a length of time. Any part that is in stock with them but isn't available through Rover is essentially NOS.
To me.... When someone says "genuine" it means available directly from LR today. If it is NOS then it is a whole different story as you are buying from a hoarder. NOS suppliers are a special group.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Did you go the the D Chapman school of etiquette? -Jeff
Ouch. Low blow.

Old March 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I read John's post with a French accent so they are all pretty funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2015, 10:04 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
To me.... When someone says "genuine" it means available directly from LR today. If it is NOS then it is a whole different story as you are buying from a hoarder. NOS suppliers are a special group.
Genuine has nothing to do with if it is or isn't available today. Rather as defined is it a authentic Land Rover part be it still in production or NOS.
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
That is some funny shit.

Old March 25th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:

While I'm sure you can find NOS aftermarket parts, the NOS parts he was ordering were all supposedly genuine.

A Genuine part on our shelf is still Genuine, whether or not I can still source it from Land Rover.
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:21 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
lol....perfect
Old March 26th, 2015, 03:30 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
So have you ordered genuine parts from them, and had them come out of box/bag/without label?
I stopped dealing with LR Series for this very reason. Far too often I was ordering (and paying for) Genuine parts, and receiving parts in unmarked plastic bags. Were they Genuine? Aftermarket? Who knows, there was no way to tell. Granted, most of the stuff was small parts: seals, gaskets, bushings, brackets, etc. The last straw was a few months ago. I emailed them and made sure the Genuine part listed was available. "Yes, it is" was the reply. I ordered a couple of them, and received new production "Lucas" parts in the blue Britpart bags. I was pissed. I will say, they did accept a return, and I got a full refund.

Now I pretty much only use Brit-Car UK. Sure, once in a while a Genuine part arrives in an unmarked bag, but I'd say well over 90% of the Genuine parts I order from them arrive in Land Rover packaging.

Mike
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Thanks Mike, that essentially mirrors what I'm getting messaged about. It is not to say that every nut, bolt, and bushing will be packaged individually, as many come in packs of 5/10/50 etc.

I'm glad that the return worked out for you. I think the issue here is likely due to shipping size and weight.
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
I have used them and occasionally they email back and say that a Genuine part is not available (even though it was listed on the website) and ask if I will accept a substitute. It does appear that for some parts they list they actually source from other Land Rover dealers in the areas. So they may not have realized what they were shipping if their supplier wasn't truthful (and the teenage kid doing the packing really didn't care). Like others have mentioned there is a difference between NOS and "Genuine". In the UK I have seen "Genuine" to mean anything that the local Land Rover parts counter sells and NOS to include 15 year old Britpart parts (15yr is old right?). But this dealer seems to be pretty upfront in my experience.
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
At the risk of sounding like a dick, who the fuck needs genuine exhaust pipes? Really? Nobody would know since the stickers burn off after 1 minute of running.

Some people...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
At the risk of sounding like a dick, who the fuck needs genuine exhaust pipes? Really? Nobody would know since the stickers burn off after 1 minute of running.

Some people...
I fill my tires with imported, genuine UK air. They ride more "factory like". It's well worth the cost.
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Some people...
I think you have to consider the user and the end-result desired in this situation. *If* you are talking about an extreme high-end restoration, then original parts is the key here. I.e. it does not seem that we are referring to some run-of-the-mill shade tree restoration.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

Some people...
The embossed logo on the mufflers is uber cool.

I understand the desire for a perfect genuine parts restoration, but I still would be amazed if these are parts that are findeable.

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:19 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think you have to consider the user and the end-result desired in this situation. *If* you are talking about an extreme high-end restoration, then original parts is the key here. I.e. it does not seem that we are referring to some run-of-the-mill shade tree restoration.
I understand what your saying but I'm with Ren on this. Then again I drive my toys (when they aren't broken) so it would be wasted on me.

I do however think if they listed it as a original NOS part then that is what it should be as I'm sure he paid a hefty price for it.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:21 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:

Some people...
A restoration to that standard probably isn't going to be driven anyway, so the stickers could last for years. Especially if kept covered, and indoors in a low humidity environment, with only occasional dustings to keep it clean.
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
True, but any restoration of any car to any degree uses non-genuine parts and it is acceptable. Paint is replaced. New seat covers are made. As examples. I would expect that nobody is going to expect a NOS genuine exhaust system to be in place. This is a "wear" items and at some point the supply is gone forever.

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
True, but any restoration of any car to any degree uses non-genuine parts and it is acceptable. Paint is replaced. New seat covers are made. As examples. I would expect that nobody is going to expect a NOS genuine exhaust system to be in place. This is a "wear" items and at some point the supply is gone forever.
Good point on the embossed logo, though I have to wonder if they did that back when 2.6's were being sold. Of course one could bend up some pipe and put a Gen-you-whine muffler in there...

FWIW I bought a genuine parts NOS front pipe from Rovers North for $15 back in 1999 for my '60 109 with the swan neck manifold. It was a bit heavier wall than the typical stuff you see. But without the aluminizing coating.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I fill my tires with imported, genuine UK air. They ride more "factory like". It's well worth the cost.
I have an endless supply of libtard hot air ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 26th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:

Some people...
Dave, I generally agree. Typically on those items he would be stuck getting aftermarket. He only purchased the items because they were listed as genuine, he would generally just get the aftermarket from us.

These are $100k+ Series Land Rovers, they're not wheeling trucks. If he can get genuine, he gets genuine.

------ Follow up post added March 26th, 2015 01:09 PM ------

Quote:
The embossed logo on the mufflers is uber cool.

I understand the desire for a perfect genuine parts restoration, but I still would be amazed if these are parts that are findeable.
Yes John, that's the point! They're not findable, so when he found them, he jumped on them. This is the issue we're dealing with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
series