LRNA marketing question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

LRNA marketing question

So my girlfriend decided to do one of her final marketing assignments on Land Rover North America… I was quite surprised when she mentioned this to me. She is probably a keeper! Maybe this means that I can own several more Rovers in the future….

One of the parts is to investigate how Land Rover can strengthen their brand image in North America. So my questions to you guys is what your opinion is… I am sure there are a lot of people on this forum who have a creative mind and some good ideas. Or who think Land Rover is doing something incorrect with their advertising now, and how they can improve this.

Any feedback is helpful!

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

As food for thought, LR has teamed up with Men's Journal and other partners in "Remote and Refined". It's great content and, in my opinion, great partnerships.

There are rich ads on many different properties online. I know for a fact that Daily News and USA Today were running them for a while.

The landing page or "destination" for the ads is;
http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/remote-and-refined
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjond View Post
The landing page or "destination" for the ads is;
http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/remote-and-refined
That landing page makes me laugh... especially what they call "Glamping"... for whatever reason, it reminds me of 80's glam metal hair days....

I think JLR has a pretty responsive marketing/PR dept. You might want to have your g/f contact them about the research she's doing, maybe you can even score a trip to JLR HQ in Mahwah, NJ and have you drive around in a new L405...LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:56 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Land Rover Experience working with Orvis is pretty awesome, there was a big event in I believe NY a few months back. http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=8953

------ Follow up post added March 6th, 2013 11:59 AM ------

Also they use a company called Wunderman in NYC for their social media marketing. I was contacted by them to use one of the designs I came up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:07 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I tend to agree that the marketing folks are doing a good job. The problem is that they seem to be taking direction from the UK... hence the focus on strange things like polo and dressage. Maybe that's really a demographic back east... but it's kind of a strange eyebrow raiser out here in California.

But when they are told to penetrate a market, I think they have it nailed. So where can they improve? Deviate a little from the current demographic. Try out the waters back down in the LR4 range. Here is an example of a commercial that ran overseas, that never made it north america:

It shows the Discovery 3 as a reliable offroader that even hollywood guys like (the guy is a real location scout). It would have been perfect to run.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:11 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
That landing page makes me laugh... especially what they call "Glamping"... for whatever reason, it reminds me of 80's glam metal hair days....

I think JLR has a pretty responsive marketing/PR dept. You might want to have your g/f contact them about the research she's doing, maybe you can even score a trip to JLR HQ in Mahwah, NJ and have you drive around in a new L405...LOL
Glamping:

No jokes please
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

LR has abandoned the "authentic" marketing campaign of the 90s-early 2000s and are positioning themselves as two brand lines. Range Rover -- high end SUVs, and Land Rover -- basically high end but not quite as high end SUVs.

This makes no sense and I don't think it is ever been made clear in the marketing what the point really is. It didn't make sense in the 1980s when they tried it with RRNA which created the whole confusion problem to begin with in so far as people think Range Rover is something other than a Land Rover product.

The marketing angle is to make simple vehicles high end (authentic) which they did so well for so long not to try to beat MB/BMW/ (porsche/audi/vw group) but only in SUVs.

So, bring back authentic: (get a wrangler fighter and an entry level SUV that has capability (ie not the LR2 which is a horrible failure but not quite as horrible as the freelander)

Figure out the point of RR v. LR:

Realize that your bread and butter will be selling 100K SUVs to soccer moms and rich people and stop wasting money making crap no one wants.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

In my opinion they need to truly support the marque. They only care to support the newer vehicles.

They've beat up the entire after market and have totally abandoned owners of older vehicles.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Back in the day, vs. today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	land20rover20d9020advertisment20-20life20expectancy.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	67513   Click image for larger version

Name:	land-rover-chile-festival-ad.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	67514  

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
x2 they need to embrace the enthusiast crowd, jeep has done this.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
tried to goto their website to order one but it looks like they are gone and at only 38000 seemed like a great deal
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:14 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I know the guy that did the R&D hand built 23 of them.....
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I know the guy that did the R&D hand built 23 of them.....
The pickup truck has Jersey tags...

Old March 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I've owned Land Rovers for decades...just how many I hesitate to say! Nothing in their current marketing campaign makes me want to go out and purchase a new vehicle. Why not speak to the heritage of the marque and sense of adventure instead of just upscale?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat