LR4 Tow Hitch Setup - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

LR4 Tow Hitch Setup

I hate to pay a dealer to setup my 2012 LR4 HSE Lux with a tow hitch... So I am considering purchasing and installing on my own.

Before I do, a few questions:
1. Are there any risks with voiding factory vehicle warrantees if I don't use genuine and/or have the dealer install?
2. If I do the install, while the wiring and hitch setup seem strait forward, I have not been able to uncover instructions to update the vehicle software...is this update a dealer hoax? If not, can you provide?
3. I don't have the 5 camera setup so I am not even sure whether or not I need to update the computer software?

Thanks for your insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:29 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
On the LR3 there was not a software change for the trailer wiring, but the LR4 has the fancy trailer stability, etc. So the Car Configuration File probably needs to be updated. See if someone around you has a Faultmate or Roverlogic and they can "flip the switch" for you. But the lights will probably work just fine even if you don't change the CCF.

Wiring was dead simple to do. Get the genuine kit. It makes everything extremely easy.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Install the kit and take it to the dealer to update the configuration file to be set up for trailer wiring. Its really simple to do. If you can't figure out how to install it once you have the kit, post up and someone will be able to help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
FWIW, either Rovers North or Atlantic British (I can't remember which) sells an alternative hitch kit (for the stinger) that fits the LR3 & is much cheaper than the stock LR3/RRS unit.

Wiring on the LR3 is pretty easy (easier than the Range Rover L322) so hopefully the LR4 is easy also.
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Genuine harness ordered.

Will likely head to the dealer, to "flip the switch", once I have installed it.

Thanks for the insight!
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:43 PM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
Here's a pretty good video from Atlantic British on the hitch install

Regarding your questions:

1) I would be very surprised if its a warranty issue, but if in doubt, check with the dealer
2) I've got a 2011 RRS and was planning on doing this in the spring. I'm not aware of any software upgrade, but I'll ask my local dealer tomorrow as I have a good relationship with them.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Hey Chris, just sent you a PM! Regarding this, I'll ask but as far as I know you only need to update software with the vision assist pkg and that is to make all the added trailer systems functional ie. Hitch Assist ( that helps you line the tongue up with the ball from inside when you are attaching the trailer) and the function that allows you to save & recall trailer dimensions so that the reverse guide lines will accurately display the trailer's trajectory as you turn the wheel to maneuver in reverse (really cool by the way)!

I hope you're enjoying the LR4, it's a great vehicle and it sounds like you made a great deal on it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
hitch, lr4