LR4 search - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

LR4 search

I believe there are some LR advisors on here... I'm looking for a black on black LR4, Lux or Lux Limited with that surround view system and HD package. Id rather not pay for any extra doo dads like add ons or rear entertainment system. New or less than 5k preferred. Id like to trade in my 08 LR3 but at the right price would have one delivered to my door. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Good luck, when I ordered my '12 last summer, there were only 5 HD trucks in the country. Not a very prominent package. You are more likely to find it on a fully loaded Lux or HSE truck, with every other option. That's why I ended up ordering mine. Maybe this has changed but the switch to the '13 model year was pretty late and the dealers around me ran out of '12's on the lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks, good to know. I dont have to have HD if it turns into a goat rope.

I hear that Tata is putting a force fed V6 into the base RRs with less power and speed. Im assuming the LR4 will see this engine as well for the next gen. Dont like the sounds of that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:21 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I know when I purchased my LR3 wayy back in 2005 I had to order it from the factory to get the HD package. It's pretty damn rare. Let's face it most of these trucks are never going off pavement so why should the dealer spec out the package that adds ~2k in price when that could just be profit.

If you don't mind wrenching on the truck you can add the rear locker after the fact, but it's kind of a pain and requires a hookup to a T4 TestBook or Faultmate to enable the newly added locker ECU.
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
At the moment there are no cars in the country that fit your build that are new. You would have to probably order one unless you came across a 2012 retired lonaer car or used one. There has only been on delivered in 2013 and it had dvd's
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:43 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Wow, ok. Guess Ill start at Hennessy in Atlanta. Any word on the next gen LR4?

Wife will drive this so HD is not needed. I just asked her, and she gave me the "What the crap are you talking about and you are an idiot" look. I just figured it would come in handy once or twice a year and on resale.
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I looked at it this way, for $750 I got a full size spare......

And an e-locker...

Seemed like a bargain to me.

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
You won't regret getting an LR4. My wife has one, and it's incredible to drive.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:20 PM
jt2127
John Thomson
2010 Sport & 2013 LR4

Registry
I'm in the market for a 12 or 13 LR4 as well. Anyone want to help me find a great deal? Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Sam, please feel free to email me if you need any VINs looked up to see if they have the HD package. I have been doing the same for a gentleman Brandon over on Exped portal.

Zack@Roversnorth.com

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:53 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth
Sam, please feel free to email me if you need any VINs looked up to see if they have the HD package. I have been doing the same for a gentleman Brandon over on Exped portal.

Zack@Roversnorth.com
Awesome, will do. Thanks Zach!

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2013 07:00 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbo
You won't regret getting an LR4. My wife has one, and it's incredible to drive.
Thanks for the feedback Kelly! We took one for a spin a while ago and were pretty happy with the jump in performance from the LR3.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

We have one too. The only annoyance so far has been with the oil - it's only carried at LR & Jaguar dealers, at least in the US. I've found one German and one Canadian company with oil that meets the specification, but they have no US distributors.

Get the oil at a Jaguar dealer. In Austin the LR/Jaguar dealer (combined dealership) wanted $16 a quart, the San Antonio LR dealer wanted $12.50 a quart, and the San Antonio Jaguar dealer wanted $10.25 or so per quart. The Austin LR dealer also wanted $40+ for the filter while the Jaguar dealer wanted $20+.

There is one ebay seller selling the oil for about $50 for a case of 6 with free shipping.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
We have one too. The only annoyance so far has been with the oil - it's only carried at LR & Jaguar dealers, at least in the US. I've found one German and one Canadian company with oil that meets the specification, but they have no US distributors.

Get the oil at a Jaguar dealer. In Austin the LR/Jaguar dealer (combined dealership) wanted $16 a quart, the San Antonio LR dealer wanted $12.50 a quart, and the San Antonio Jaguar dealer wanted $10.25 or so per quart. The Austin LR dealer also wanted $40+ for the filter while the Jaguar dealer wanted $20+.

There is one ebay seller selling the oil for about $50 for a case of 6 with free shipping.
Jesus what type of oil is this? What is the weight? Ridiculous.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:55 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Jesus what type of oil is this? What is the weight? Ridiculous.
Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w20. The spec is Ford WSS-M2C925-A. Supposedly needed to allow for the 12,000 mile oil changes.
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:44 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Well, "narrowed" the search down. Found one 2012 Limited Lux clear over in Calistan, and another that Household 6 approves of in Seattle. I also got excited when I found a Black/Black Lux with HD in Chattanooga, but then I realized that every single LR4 on the lot had the same ad. However, we may do the smart thing and get a 2012 Pre-Owned Certified with 6K miles, no HD but with Vision Assist, etc, located within reason to us here. Someone already took a $12K dump on it, and I haven't talked the dealer down yet. I think LR does a 6 Year/100K mile warranty on those POC trucks. May be taking a 1000 mile road trip this weekend...

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2013 09:53 PM ------

If ya can't afford the oil, prolly shouldn't buy the vehicle... Unless you are like a fair amount of forum members here who like my dad are penny pinching misers who complain about $.50 expenditures but shell out for 6-7 figure homes and investments.

I got lucky with my current LR3...got free maintenance for 50K miles when I purchased it through LR. It might have been a 2008 deal. Didn't know oil was that crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I perform my own maintenance, as I've found most dealers and repair shops bordering on incompetence. The way Tata & Castrol have worked together on this sucks for anyone doing that - having to burn 2-3 hours just to buy oil is not my idea of a good time. If you only take your cars to the dealer for all maintenance, then bless your heart.

It doesn't seem of LR/Tata want anyone performing their own maintenance. Even their manuals web site sucks - rather than publishing in PDFs (like Lotus, Toyota, etc...) they decided to create a web interface with individual web pages for each item. This makes it challenging to pull down the manuals (I've pulled down most). Publishing in PDF format wouldn't have been much (if any) more difficult.

This will likely be my last new (or new-ish) Land Rover, especially if they continue with this sort of "service".
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:34 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Anyone use uShip before? Along those lines, I'll be needing transport of an LR4 from Cali to Georgia if anyone knows of someone next week.

I've used those transport brokerage guys in the past but never felt 100% comfortable with the deals so I'm going to try going direct with a transport this time. Good or bad?
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:24 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

I've used uship and thought it was great, but like anything else, you must be diligent. Ask questions, check references, look at feedback, etc. Dont just accept the lowest offer that comes along.

This guy has shipped for me: http://www.thomasduncantrucking.com/main.php. Although he primarily moves boats, he hauls a lot of cars and trucks as well. Great communication and very careful with your load. Worth a call.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:54 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks George, I will give him a shout.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr4