Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
LR4 maintenance poll

Just curious what real world maintenance numbers you guys are seeing on your LR4s.

1. How many miles before needing brake pads replaced (front and/or rear) and what your dealer charges
2. How many miles before needing rotors replaced (front and/or rear) and what your dealer charges
3. How many miles between alignments
4. How many miles/months before brake fluid needs flushing/replacing and what your dealer charges
5. How many miles/months before power steering fluid needs flushing/replacing and what your dealer charges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Just curious what real world maintenance numbers you guys are seeing on your LR4s.

1. How many miles before needing brake pads replaced (front and/or rear) and what your dealer charges
2. How many miles before needing rotors replaced (front and/or rear) and what your dealer charges
3. How many miles between alignments
4. How many miles/months before brake fluid needs flushing/replacing and what your dealer charges
5. How many miles/months before power steering fluid needs flushing/replacing and what your dealer charges
Crikey man...you're BUILDING a car - you can handle everything on that list (except #3). I've done just about all that to the LR3.

Alignments minimum once a year unless you see odd tire wear.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 15th, 2013, 11:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I am simply asking what maintenance intervals you are seeing. I have no intention of paying the dealer for this shit, but am floored that my car needs any of it, let alone some of it more than once now in <3 years and 25k.

I am also curious as to what dealer rates are because around here I believe they are excessively high, although I have no intention of paying $840 to change the rear brakes for example .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

My wife's LR4 has 44k and thus far only one oil change (ready for the next one shortly) and one brake pad and rotor change. Brakes were around $1,200 or so. Don't recall exactly. Original tires just replaced, which is an impressive wear rate on that truck.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:19 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
My wife's LR4 has 44k and thus far only one oil change (ready for the next one shortly) and one brake pad and rotor change. Brakes were around $1,200 or so. Don't recall exactly. Original tires just replaced, which is an impressive wear rate on that truck.
Did she buy it new? I would highly suggest more than 1 oil change in 44,000 miles.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:29 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Replace the pads & rotors when the pads get less than 5mil, no reason to do before that and no reason to pad slap since rotors are cheap enough these days.

My first set made it to 52k, we're at 88k now and due for another set in the very near future (probably less on these than the first set because I didn't go genuine, and my wife has been driving it and loves to jam on the brakes every chance she gets). I do fronts/rears pads/rotors all at once. Genuine through AB are like $400, labor is just an afternoon of your time.

Brake & PS flush...every few years generally (usually every 2 but I'm probably more lax on the newer stuff than on the D's).

And yes...sooner than 44k for an oil change please. I do mine with genuine filter, BG MOA, and the German-blend Castrol synthetic 0W30 every 5k on the dot.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 16th, 2013, 01:17 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I have done pads on the LR3 pretty much when we got it. So it was roughly 20k ago (truck must be in the 70k miles range now). Since I do it myself, I don't do rotors at the same time as pads. I see no reason to replace something that's still good and within the (pretty pessimistic) normal measurement (within reason of course). So rotors will be replaced with the next set of pads (and the wear sensor on the front since I never replaced it...).
Brake fluid: every 3-5 years (I check the color every 6 month or so when I go around the trucks).
Oil change: religiously when the timer says we have to do it (we never reach the mileage the dealer say we should on the LR3). All my other cars gets (dino) oil changed every 3K or 6 month whichever comes first.

Note: we don't drive around much. So a lot of the wear is minimal on any of our vehicles. I do not include the GTI in any of the comments above since this thing has factory maintenance and is basically brand new (and not a LR! ).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:12 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

My bad, it's been twice on the oil change. LR's recommended oil change schedule is different on the LR4 from the LR3. Different engine in the first place. I see no need to deviate from the recommended schedule per LR engineers, particularly if using the exact oil and filter specified by those same engineers.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
My bad, it's been twice on the oil change. LR's recommended oil change schedule is different on the LR4 from the LR3. Different engine in the first place. I see no need to deviate from the recommended schedule per LR engineers, particularly if using the exact oil and filter specified by those same engineers.
So you're saying 2 oil changes in 40k? Wow. At least the service department guys will love you when it's time for an engine swap.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
So you're saying 2 oil changes in 40k? Wow. At least the service department guys will love you when it's time for an engine swap.
Do you own an LR4?
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Recommended oil change interval is 15,000 according to the manual, so yes this would be #3 for him if going by that. I have been doing 7,500 to be safe. I would go 15k, but afaik there is no sensor to detect the actual need and since there is no dipstick I'm not taking any chances. My manual is in the car so I can't lookup the recommended intervals for the brake and power steering fluid maybe those are due.

I just think it's pathetic that I can't even get to the (crap) warranty limits without it needing thousands in maintenance. I have owned several new cars, none of which were this high maintenance. I refuse to believe a car driven in normal city/highway driving needs to be aligned every year unless you are hitting curbs or something. But I also think my local dealer are a bunch of ass clowns, which doesn't help.

Oh, and I already have electrical gremlins...joy.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Do you own an LR4?
No, but a 20k oil change is not a good idea...that much I do know. Check with ANY qualified mechanic out there (and I don't mean a LR tech that is regurgitating nonsense from LR).

I'm also assuming - at a bare minimum - that they're recommending a filter change at some point during supposed 15k interval. And pushing that 15k interval to 20-22k likewise I don't get.

But why spend 60k on a truck, and treat its oil changes like they're Halley's Comet?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Charles, the original tires on mine lasted 43,000 miles and I've yet to do an alignment. No uneven wear at all. Still don't feel the need to do an alignment as she tracks straight and true.

As these cars become more reliable and maintenance schedules stretched due to improved engineering and materials, I think they just try to work in service items to maintain service department revenue.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Detailed service intervals for LR4

http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...5-53140-132437
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I got mine one year old with under 8k and showed uneven tire wear at it's first 7,500 service and I had the tires balanced and an alignment done (at my expense) because they couldn't tell me which would fix it. Neither did, but apparently this is normal according to my dealer and I now need to pay for another alignment and "centering the steering wheel".

Anyway I'd like to see what others with LR4s have found. So far we have one which aligns more with my expectations and one that doesn't.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I like the "Perform anti-corrosion" at 22,500. My dealer apparently doesn't do this and thinks the rust on mine is normal

Why would a car maker say the oil change interval is 15,000, then say you need to change it every 3,750?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Why would a car maker say the oil change interval is 15,000, then say you need to change it every 3,750?
This 15k business still scares me. Are they even using synthetic now? It wasn't that long ago that dealerships were using Castrol 5W30 dino...but that was probably back at the 7500 intervals (which I also proceeded to ignore), instead of these new 15k's.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
What scares me is no quality sensor and no dipstick! I can get the car properly warmed up on level ground and faf around with buttons on a stalk for a few minutes to then get the level, but nothing else. I guess it's too hard to grab a rag, pop the hood and check it?

I dunno, maybe by making it a sealed system they can get away with longer intervals between oil changes. Seems to me you could make a screw in dipstick if that was the case.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
I just think it's pathetic that I can't even get to the (crap) warranty limits without it needing thousands in maintenance. I have owned several new cars, none of which were this high maintenance. I refuse to believe a car driven in normal city/highway driving needs to be aligned every year unless you are hitting curbs or something. But I also think my local dealer are a bunch of ass clowns, which doesn't help.

Oh, and I already have electrical gremlins...joy.
Tell me more about this. My commute now is very short so I am thinking about a newer, low mileage (probably CPO) SUV. My first choice is a Touareg but the LR is up there. Can you not service this yourself or do the issues require stealership trips? The TReg eats rotors, pads, and tires in the same interval but seems to be a little better than the LR in most everything else.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:55 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
No, but a 20k oil change is not a good idea...that much I do know. Check with ANY qualified mechanic out there (and I don't mean a LR tech that is regurgitating nonsense from LR).

I'm also assuming - at a bare minimum - that they're recommending a filter change at some point during supposed 15k interval. And pushing that 15k interval to 20-22k likewise I don't get.

But why spend 60k on a truck, and treat its oil changes like they're Halley's Comet?
Not a good idea? How are you so certain? First of all, we're talking 15k and not 20k, so as it pertains to mine it's due for a third oil change. No one will argue that changing the oil sooner is a bad idea, but I see no need to adhere to old maintenance ideas on newly engineered vehicles. If LR says 15k, then I'm good with that, as long as their recommended materials are used. Deviate from that and it's a different story unless you match specs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr4