Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
LR4 Cracked Head, Question for LR Dealer Employees

On Saturday my wifes LR4 low coolant light came on for a minute, she turned around and started home. Within a minute the light went off. Looking at the thermostat the engine was running cool. Started noticing the car smoking as she slowed down. Pulled over and opened the hood, coolant was all over the engine(that was where the smoke came from). Coolant tank was low. Walked to a gas station and topped off the coolant. Started the vehicle back up with no warning codes. Was going to drive home very slow carefully. Started driving home, and decided to pull off in a safe area. The car would not restart. Called Land Rover roadside assistance. They picked it up and took it to our nearest dealer 65 miles away.

I have now been working with them on the phone for 3 days now, finally spoke top the service manager. He seemed sincere and like he truly was trying to help. He told me the pulley shattered on the water pump and leaked coolant in the engine, and has a cracked head. It was a CPO car, so he said they have to go through a very long process to replace the engine. He told me to give him a week to get approvals.

Is this the normal process, does it take this long to get approval. He told me the whole process could take 30 to 45 days? I am going to give him the week for the approval process. What means do I have other wise to do. If I am not satisfied who should I contact, to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
FWIW, I bought a 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE CPO back in '04. Took it in because it had a very faint ticking from the engine.

They replaced the engine under warranty. Approval took an hour.

Good luck!
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Is this on your dime or Land Rovers? If they are paying and providing a loaner I would sit back, relax and let them do what they need to do. If it is on your dime, I'm sure things will get done as quick as you can afford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Is this on your dime or Land Rovers? If they are paying and providing a loaner I would sit back, relax and let them do what they need to do. If it is on your dime, I'm sure things will get done as quick as you can afford.
It should be on their dime, warning light went off and had no other warnings. Vehicle is an 2011 with 56K miles on it. They offered a loaner, I didn't take them up on it yet....
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbullis View Post
It should be on their dime, warning light went off and had no other warnings. Vehicle is an 2011 with 56K miles on it. They offered a loaner, I didn't take them up on it yet....
Grab the loaner and let them do what they need to do. Pestering them won't make the process any faster and it won't encourage them to work any harder. Hopefully you get something fun as a loaner.
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:49 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
That's some bad luck. LR Knoxville was always good to me, hopefully they will take care of you.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:35 PM
bigkel162
Kelvin Nodarse
1995 county lwb

Registry
Take the loaner they will need to source your engine from land rover the loaner will be an evoque or lr2 both fun to drive as long as your Cpo is in effect sit back and wait for the call that your lr4 is ready to go. They don't have 5.0 engine sitting around so the wait time is 3 to 6 weeks for a delivery from the uk.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
It is no fun task to replace a motor on one of those. I just finished one on a RRS last week.

Likely the technician will have to pull the cylinder head to inspect, and Land Rover may have him replace the cylinder head or just replace the head gaskets. It likely won't fix it, but Land Rover will take the gamble. When that doesn't fix it, the replacement motor will take a few weeks to get there. I ordered mine in December and it took about a month to get to the dealership because it was back ordered at the time. I'm the only person that had done one at our dealership, and I had about 50 hours in the job including doing a head gasket job before replacing the motor.

My advice is to be patient, the technician will only get paid for about 18 hours of work to replace the motor. A lot of the delays will be out of the dealerships hand because they will need approval from Land Rover to do the work and get the parts (which could be back ordered).
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
ugghhhh

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:29 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You have to remove the body just to replace the motor????
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post

You have to remove the body just to replace the motor????
I've heard that you can do it without removing the body, but I chose to remove it because then I could fully assemble the motor with the body out of the way. The torque converter bolts would be nearly impossibly to get to with the body on as far as I could tell. It really wasn't bad to pull the body. I think it took me about 3 hours or so.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I've heard that you can do it without removing the body, but I chose to remove it because then I could fully assemble the motor with the body out of the way. The torque converter bolts would be nearly impossibly to get to with the body on as far as I could tell. It really wasn't bad to pull the body. I think it took me about 3 hours or so.
Well, our techs have never pulled the body and have done a few engines over the years. 3 hrs? That's it? That seems much faster. I was actually looking at your pic and was going to show it to one of our techs.
Old March 6th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Well, our techs have never pulled the body and have done a few engines over the years. 3 hrs? That's it? That seems much faster. I was actually looking at your pic and was going to show it to one of our techs.
I already had some stuff apart in the engine bay, but it really isn't bad at all to pull. It definitely takes a little more time to put it back together, but overall not bad. I would definitely do it again that way. Its especially nice when doing it on a supercharged truck since there is no room behind the engine.

I can see why a tech would not pull the body, but I would do it that way again.
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
It is no fun task to replace a motor on one of those. I just finished one on a RRS last week.

Likely the technician will have to pull the cylinder head to inspect, and Land Rover may have him replace the cylinder head or just replace the head gaskets. It likely won't fix it, but Land Rover will take the gamble. When that doesn't fix it, the replacement motor will take a few weeks to get there. I ordered mine in December and it took about a month to get to the dealership because it was back ordered at the time. I'm the only person that had done one at our dealership, and I had about 50 hours in the job including doing a head gasket job before replacing the motor.

My advice is to be patient, the technician will only get paid for about 18 hours of work to replace the motor. A lot of the delays will be out of the dealerships hand because they will need approval from Land Rover to do the work and get the parts (which could be back ordered).
Damn Jimmy. They give you all the big jobs.
If the job takes 50hrs and JLRNA pays 18 who picks up the difference and pays you ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Dang! We ever get a chance to meet up and the beers are on me!
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Damn Jimmy. They give you all the big jobs.
If the job takes 50hrs and JLRNA pays 18 who picks up the difference and pays you ?
It depends, but in this case my service manager just paid me the straight time. I took my time and tried to do it all correctly so I wouldn't have to redo anything. A lot of that time was also including removing the cylinder heads to inspect. I also starting putting it back together before Land Rover decided they wanted me to just put a motor in it. I probably had three days in that alone. The head gasket job pays 27 hrs under warranty.

As a general rule, any warranty pays for about half the amount of time it will take you to do any given job, assuming you haven't done it before.
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Damn Jimmy. They give you all the big jobs. If the job takes 50hrs and JLRNA pays 18 who picks up the difference and pays you ?
Doug don't worry the dealer is making plenty of money from all the other times they do non-warranty work.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
That's some bad luck. LR Knoxville was always good to me, hopefully they will take care of you.
We bought it from Knoxville, based on where she was broke down they took it to Asheville. We have not had any dealing with them before...
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Doug don't worry the dealer is making plenty of money from all the other times they do non-warranty work.
That is very true, especially since the new vehicles don't have issues like they used to. I'm glad you see why technicians don't like doing warranty work.
Old March 7th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
That is very true, especially since the new vehicles don't have issues like they used to. I'm glad you see why technicians don't like doing warranty work.
Yeah, I bet you miss the good ole days when Rover paid 10hrs to do Heater Core O-Rings on a P38 or a Rear Main, now all the warranty times are so low no one makes anything on Warranty work and like you said, they don't leak or break like they used to...

They used to pay a reasonable amt. of time and if you knew the tricks you could make a killing doing warranty work all day, but as soon as someone at LR found out the trick, they would update the warranty manual to reflect this way of doing it and reduce the time accordingly. It's like they move the carrot just as you are getting close to grabbing it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, rack, lr4