LR4 buying advice - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 11th, 2015, 11:04 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Thought I'd update this thread for posterity. It turns out that IIDtool from Gap (Purchased from Justin @ Lucky8 ) WILL reprogram used smart keys for the LR4. I bought a $50 eBay key that's actually in better shape than the one that came with the truck. Programming only took ~2min and 6 clicks of the unlock button -really amazing that the dealer charges $150 for that even if you buy their key... In other news the IIDtool looks really cool! Really looking forward to getting into it more and controlling my own destiny with this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2015, 11:36 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How much is the tool? I want to shut off the low pressure tire warning. I removed my sensors so it's always on
Old October 11th, 2015, 12:03 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
The bluetooth version is $580. I read that it will turn off the tire pressure warning but haven't done that (only had one warning thus far so it hasn't bugged the s*** out of me yet).

The tool has more reviews on landroverworld.org. I am pleased so far and anticipate that it will pay for itself over time. I guess that's the kind of logic my wife has when shopping and it's rubbing off on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2015, 04:24 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
I am pleased so far and anticipate that it will pay for itself over time. I guess that's the kind of logic my wife has when shopping and it's rubbing off on me.
Be careful of the slippery slope! I have to constantly remind my wife that there's a difference between "on sale" and "for sale!" :-)

Sounds like an very useful tool! I wish I could program the keys to the P38 as easily. $450! Ugh.
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Unless you really feel the need to hook up interfaces/data log, or otherwise spend $ the non BT IID works just fine-it's a great device and should be mandatory for any 3/4 owner who is willing to turn a wrench on these trucks.
Old October 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Agreed that one could do without the BT but it's only $20 difference and already seems easier to navigate though the app on the iPad or phone.
Old October 11th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Unless you really feel the need to hook up interfaces/data log, or otherwise spend $ the non BT IID works just fine-it's a great device and should be mandatory for any 3/4 owner who is willing to turn a wrench on these trucks.
Ray,

Great build thread on your LR3 on EXPO! I really enjoyed it!
Old October 11th, 2015, 09:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I just looked on eBay for a replacement key fob for mine that is falling apart. Turns out, there is a rebuild kit for it, LR059382. On one hand, I'm relieved that I can cheaply fix my rapidly self-disassembling fob but on the other hand, what a piece of shit. This is the first key fob I've ever had that didn't last one year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I just looked on eBay for a replacement key fob for mine that is falling apart. Turns out, there is a rebuild kit for it, LR059382. On one hand, I'm relieved that I can cheaply fix my rapidly self-disassembling fob but on the other hand, what a piece of shit. This is the first key fob I've ever had that didn't last one year.
All the rubber is falling off the one key I have. The other is in one of my wife's many purses never to be seen again.

Post the link to the rebuild kit.
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:00 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Land Rover LR4 Discovery 4 Remote Control Key Fob Cover Case LR059382 Genuine | eBay

/
/
/
/
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Ray,

Great build thread on your LR3 on EXPO! I really enjoyed it!
Thanks Mark, it's been fun building while over here (the access to cheap fabrication obviously being the best part given the front bumper). More to follow in a bit...swing away tire carrier, aux fuel tank & dual battery setup all on the list. To think this was a 'mild' build at the start.
r-
Ray
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I did this recently. It doesn't have the same rubber part, it's all plastic, but makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice, buying, lr4