LR4 buying advice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 18th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I've been using Rotella T6 in our cars the last few years. Now I just read Shell's official position is that it has too much phosphorous for gasoline engined vehicles equipped with catalytic converters, so maybe I'll switch to Castrol or Pennzoil. For the last oil change in the 3-series I put in a mixture of Rotella T6, Castrol Edge/Syntec, and Mobil 1 because it was in the garage. I figured it was fine since it's all synthetic and it's better than dirty oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
3.9L V8 D90 -> Castrol GTX 10W30 conventional every 3k/3months
4.4L V8 LR3 -> Castrol 5W30 full synth every 5k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:29 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Brought home some new wheels this weekend: 2011 LR4 HSE Lux.

Already took It on a short road trip to the beach and we love this thing! The only thing it needs now is a spare key (only got one with the sale). Any one know the going rate for a smart key?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-238153124.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	127933   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2753565814.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	127934  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2015, 09:33 PM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

Just had a key for our LR3, it was $500. $350 for the key and $150 to program.
Should be the same for your LR4, Has to be from the dealer BTW...
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:41 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Jeez.. Hate that I am not surprised. I knew this was going to be a dealer only thing so it is what it is...

Maybe just going to be happy with just the one key
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:41 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Jeez.. Hate that I am not surprised. I knew this was going to be a dealer only thing so it is what it is... Maybe just going to be happy with just the one key
hope you don't misplace it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:23 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

That's highway robbery! I purchased an extra key last year for our LR3 too and I paid $200 plus from Prestige Land Rover in Paramus. The program was free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1818 View Post
Just had a key for our LR3, it was $500. $350 for the key and $150 to program.
Should be the same for your LR4, Has to be from the dealer BTW...
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
The programming price is negotiable with most dealers- especially if you purchase the key from them. Reference the dealers who offer the best deals and the good ones will price/deal match.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2015 09:48 AM ------

The hassle of abandoning a perfectly good truck for a week makes the $200-$400 expense more palatable; especially in hindsight. Plus, its value added for resale. Do it.
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:37 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
You guys are absolutely right that a spare key is a necessity. I also anticipated a spare from the dealership would run 200-300 bucks. $500 for a stupid key is ridiculous. I am gonna shop around for programming.
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

What's the story with used ones on ebay? You'd have to get it reprogrammed and get a blank part to rekey it? They seem to be going for pretty cheap.
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
What's the story with used ones on ebay?
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old August 25th, 2015, 06:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
hope you don't misplace it.
Oh like that ever happens
Old August 26th, 2015, 04:04 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Update: Local dealer wants $400 for new Key (3-5 day wait time too! I would expect white glove, overnight delivery with a happy ending for that kind of cash), $80 for the new key blade, and $150 for programming.

Honestly do people actually pay that much for a key? I don't care who you are, that's a stupid amount for a key. It's insane to think that's roughly the same price as an new unlocked iPhone 6 which I wager is much "smarter" than a LR smart key.

The service guy said they could reprogram an ebay key as long as it's the correct part number... he claims it's almost impossible to know by looking if it's the correct part since "they all look the same."
Old August 26th, 2015, 04:09 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Damn, it's right up there with the $300 oil changes.

LRNA is throwing ISIS tactics. You lose a key we take an appendage.
Old August 26th, 2015, 06:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Honestly do people actually pay that much for a key?
Clearly they are, or LR wouldn't be getting away with it.

I have chosen to live in fear of my wife losing the the remaining key, than shell out $500 for another one..for now. I did recently replace the shell on it which makes it look less beat up though
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:52 PM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

I bought my used LR3 from a couple that lost both keys. They told me it was $700 for the locksmith to open the truck plus the $500 for the new key (programmed from the dealer). That was enough for me to buy a new one from the dealer at their cost. I was also told that the dealer has to program both the new and old keys together.
Old August 27th, 2015, 02:45 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I have a 2013 LR4 that I bought new from LR Bellevue. No mechanical issues so far. Some minor cosmetic/interior issues that I need to see about getting warrantied:

- D/S seatbelt is not retracting and often gets shut in the door, scratching the paint in the door well

- Key fob is falling apart after a year and a half of use. I sure hope they don't charge me $500 for this piece of shit.

- A/C has a funky mildewy smell when you first turn it on but dissipates quickly. No idea what's going on here. Maybe time for a cabin air filter.

/
/
/
/
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Update: Local dealer wants $400 for new Key (3-5 day wait time too! I would expect white glove, overnight delivery with a happy ending for that kind of cash), $80 for the new key blade, and $150 for programming.

Honestly do people actually pay that much for a key? I don't care who you are, that's a stupid amount for a key. It's insane to think that's roughly the same price as an new unlocked iPhone 6 which I wager is much "smarter" than a LR smart key.

The service guy said they could reprogram an ebay key as long as it's the correct part number... he claims it's almost impossible to know by looking if it's the correct part since "they all look the same."
People actually do; I did. Bought truck, had one key with it-fob died and was tired of pulling off the plastic piece on the door, in winter, to open my damn truck.

Bought ebay key with high hopes.
Unprogrammable from dealer. F.

Decided that this racket is about as awesome as LR4 oil changes and went ahead and ordered through the dealer for the key to be cut based off the VIN and sent from the UK; programmed (additional charge) but it got the remote back in the fight.

What I have on my hands now is the old fob with the cut key but no power; I've got a shell and a battery inbound and high hopes that soon I'll have 2 keys so I can promptly lose one.
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:07 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
A/C has a funky mildewy smell when you first turn it on but dissipates quickly. No idea what's going on here. Maybe time for a cabin air filter.
Check the seal on the windshield trim and make sure it's flush with the glass. If not, water will intrude through the clean air opening/pollen filter, at least on the lr3. We had had windshield replaced earlier this year and the installer didn't bother to tell us 4 of the 8 clips that hold that trim down were broken and the leak there created a lot of problems for us
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old August 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
Check the seal on the windshield trim and make sure it's flush with the glass. If not, water will intrude through the clean air opening/pollen filter, at least on the lr3. We had had windshield replaced earlier this year and the installer didn't bother to tell us 4 of the 8 clips that hold that trim down were broken and the leak there created a lot of problems for us
We had a similar leak/issue in the LR3. Everyone kept telling us it was the sunroof drains and I told them no way, I was clearing them myself. They pulled the trim at the A-pillar to roof meeting joint and the weld was broken... A bit of epoxy later and we're good to go.

They make chlorine dioxide gas "packets" to deodorize the interior of cars and RVs. It should knock any mildew smell out if it's inside the vehicle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice, buying, lr4