Lr4/3 trailer hitch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Lr4/3 trailer hitch

I just got this trailer hitch and it seems self explanatory except when I install it I can't get the lock to fully engage so I can pull the key out. Am I missing something? Should the pin on the top be spring loaded? Mine doesn't move. Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-115557672.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	95626   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3023141469.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	95627  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Barry, grab the green handle and pull out/away from the hitch and turn. It will retract the pin. Push the v shaped tongue bit up into the truck and twist the green handle the other way to push the pin in. When in, the green handle will go back inward and you can remove the key.

hth
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
FYI you can get rebuild parts for those IIRC. I know you can at least get a new lock for it for when that one gets filled with corrosion. Also, the new style is smaller and better.
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The lock pins works but what about the other pin? I'm actually sending it back as I bought it on eBay and the pic was of the new style but they sent me the old one.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:49 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Barry, as stated above, you have to make sure that the large pin is fully retracted like it is HERE.

The small pin on top is heavily spring loaded and you won't be able to move it. If you have the pin retracted like that, you can tap that little pin to make sure it is working. If it is, strike the pin directly on top with a hammer and it should release the other one, which will shoot out about 3/4" to lock it into the frame rail.

You'll never be able to push that little pin in though on your own. Assuming it works correctly, just twist the lock to retract the big pin again and quickly shove it upwards into the receiver in the bottom of the frame rail on the LR3/4. That little pin should hit something in the Frame Rail that causes it to fire the large pin into place.

FWIW, the new style is nicer looking, but I think the older one gives a better departure angle if you take it off road with that in place (not recommended).

Good Luck!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:01 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanks for the info. The lock engages correctly but never fully opens for me to turn the knob all the way for me to take the key out.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You can only take the key out when it is locked in place. You can't store it without the key in it unless you strike that pin to make it think it is installed if that is what you are trying to do. If you're installing it in the car and it won't turn all the way back to let you take the key out, something is wrong.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

That is exactly the problem. It won't let me turn it all the way back when installing it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat