LR3 SUV of year

http://motortrend.com/features/news/...041027_suvoty/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Screehopper
Joey C.
97 Disco 5-sp

So that might explain why Land Rover has been sent me three brochures on the LR3 within the last 2 months. Also got mailed a Range Rover one.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I got one too, did it have the DVD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Screehopper
Joey C.
97 Disco 5-sp

Yup. The advertising isn't going to help. I'm sticking with my DI.

If only Land Rover North America would start sending me brochures for the Defenders.......(wishful thinking)
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Saw 2 LR3's sitting in Denver South's lot this morning on my drive to work.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:48 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
LR Calgary invited me to drive one last saturday. After surviving the predrive propoganda - Aston Martin Brakes (they are excellent), Volvo safety engineering, jag engine etc, off we went. No off road stuff sadly so just enough to show it is very pleasant on road. The engine is almost inaudible on tickover, but nicely audible when underway. Lots of torque no doubt helped by 6 gears, making first pretty low. But no doubt the 300bhp is held back by all the weight. It does not feel like a sports car. Doesnt roll much. No rattles and quiet over road irregularities. Loads of room and perfect driving position. natty auto hand brake - if the driver has a seizure and mashes the throttle the passenger can pull on the brake which will cut the engine and apply all wheel brakes to an emergency stop. Cool. Canadian spec LR3s all come with Terrain response and have a very high spec for the Can $ 63,000 quoted. Spec for spec they are far cheaper than in UK. And make the Range Rover look silly. The superior interior style of the RR is going to sway few - the LR3 is more than adequate in this respect, it is more powerful, bigger and better off road. Givne the advances over the old Disco it is better value. That said what is the point. For the same money you can get a really nice sedan or if you need 7 seats a Sienna, and then get a second hand defender or Jeep and modify the hell out of it for off road use....

I asked if all this technology will go into a new defender and was given a vague maybe, around 2007 and with a diesel. we shall see....
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:04 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Lr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithD
LR Calgary invited me to drive one last saturday. [...]
I asked if all this technology will go into a new defender and was given a vague maybe, around 2007 and with a diesel. we shall see....
Interesting. When I stopped by to have a look at one of these things (quite impressed with it for what it was built for - and its not what a defender was built for ) I asked about a diesel powerplant. The answer I got was at some point they will be available. Interesting, maybe they really will bring a diesel here eventually...
When I asked about the defender - same answer as usual - dont really know.
-scott
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:50 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
Told my boss about it - he went for a test drive and the next day he bought one - dark blue/tan interior. I ought to get some commission here. He seemed sold as soon as he drove it - I'd have wanted to try out the competition but there isnt much really if you want 7 seats and a decent 4x4 system. I hope to get some more goes in it in due course. Can't see it coming off road with us though! Body work and paint wouldnt last 5 minutes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3