Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 20th, 2014, 08:28 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I believe jimmy will correct me if I'm wrong but one of the reasons why the compressor was replaced with an updated unit was because of a faulty exhausting valve that would leak/stick open, dumping pressure reserves out, then when the system tries to level itself out by inflating itself it has no reserve so it lowers the highest ones to the lowest ones levels, if that makes sense.. Before you know it it's on its bump stops.. .....

This was all of a sudden, right after the trailer hitch popped off the ball. The rear tires were never off the ground. Before that everything was working fine. It occurred within seconds to minutes. All four corners on the bump stops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2014, 08:52 PM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

If you need to rebuild the compressor i just installed a kit from http://www.bputah.com
rebuilding kit, dryer & new relay...
Not too difficult to do, and was ~250
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Forrest, give Justin at Lucky 8 a call and I bet he can help. This happened to his LR3 while wheeling it at the conclave. It was in the rocks at an incline and we had to get the truck level and then disconnected one of the sensors and fiddled with the position of the sensor until the truck was happy and raised up. But I know he had one of those diagnostic tools that let you mess with the settings and I don't know what all he was doing in the truck to make it go back up, but he did get it back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:38 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Gustavo did you ever get this fixed? My 2008 just started doing this yesterday. It's down to the bump stops and will not get back up again. The red suspension fault light is on and the "special programs off" light is on. Used the Faultmate but I cannot clear the faults:

U0421 Invalid data received from ride level control module
C1A01 LED circuit
C1A74 Rear left height sensor mechanism
C1A75 Rear right height sensor mechanism

I was pulling a trailer and when taking it off the hitch was stuck on the ball, I was in access height mode at the time. I used a floor jack to lift the trailer off the ball, raised it about 8-10 inches before it popped off. Right after that the faults started. I do have extended rods on but it has never given me a problem. Any ideas before I start throwing money at it? Thanks
I do not remember the exact procedure since it has been about 4 years since I dealt with suspension issues and 2 1/2 since I sold the LR3. I do remember that once you were at the bump stops you had to "initialize" the system before you clear the faults and it will work. I do not remember where but one of the menus allows you to manually run the compressor and manually control each valve. You can run the compressor then open each valve to raise it. There is also button in one of the menus that allows you to raise the vehicle or lower it, this may be a timed event I do not remember for certain. Once you have it back up to standard height you should be able to clear the faults. (This was with a faultmate msv2)
Do as you wish but I came to the conclusion that the shortened rods caused far more problems then they solved. I removed mine and went back to the stock length rods. I also wheeled mine more then most so running on pavement may be just fine.
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Gustavo did you ever get this fixed? My 2008 just started doing this yesterday. It's down to the bump stops and will not get back up again. The red suspension fault light is on and the "special programs off" light is on. Used the Faultmate but I cannot clear the faults:

C1A01 LED circuit

I was pulling a trailer and when taking it off the hitch was stuck on the ball, I was in access height mode at the time. I used a floor jack to lift the trailer off the ball, raised it about 8-10 inches before it popped off. Right after that the faults started. I do have extended rods on but it has never given me a problem. Any ideas before I start throwing money at it? Thanks
Forrest,

Since you have J-Rods, I will suggest you put a floor jack under the Tow hitch and raise the car about 2 ", the with the car there disconnect the battery for few mins, re-connect and fire the engine with doors closed ( through window )

With the J rods if you go down, the sensors do not know where they are.

The compressor will not kick in as it is in safe mode , that should correct the issue
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:14 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Forrest,

Since you have J-Rods, I will suggest you put a floor jack under the Tow hitch and raise the car about 2 ", the with the car there disconnect the battery for few mins, re-connect and fire the engine with doors closed ( through window )

With the J rods if you go down, the sensors do not know where they are.
This is very important. I didn't realise you had j-rods. When the vehicle is on the bump stops with j-rods the height sensors are out of range and will allow any movement of the suspension. Do this and you can probably clear the faults. Unless you have faults for your compressor, there is nothing wrong with it.
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:06 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Hmmm, I seem to remember someone saying this wayyyy back in post 14.....
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:30 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
This is very important. I didn't realise you had j-rods. When the vehicle is on the bump stops with j-rods the height sensors are out of range and will allow any movement of the suspension. Do this and you can probably clear the faults. Unless you have faults for your compressor, there is nothing wrong with it.
These are the only faults listed:

C1A01 LED circuit

Thanks guys. This is good stuff. I will try this tomorrow and report back. Still confused as to why it all of a sudden it dropped all 4 corners. I am worried there is a leak somewhere. Maybe when the hitch popped off the trailer the truck came down and the added pressure blew out something.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:09 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
You guys rock! I jacked up the rear a few inches, started the car and all the faults cleared. I didn't bother disconnecting the battery at all. I guess the extended rods put the rear height sensors out of range and the car just didn't like it. everything is now working as it should. Thanks again.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

That's what we are here for... Well that and all the skittles..
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:57 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Skittles .....

And umm camping with cats that's why we're here 👳

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat