Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

LR3 Rock Crawl Mode noise

Hey guys hope you can help,

I am looking at a 06 LR3 that has 109K and the HD package that includes the rear locker. I was test driving it today and put it in 4x4 low and Rock Crawl Mode in a paved parking lot. As I turned sharply and drove around the lot it made a pretty significant clunk clunk clunk sound in what i thought was the rear. I could see the rear wheels jogging a bit as I heard this noise. It looked like what you would expect with a rear locker skipping the wheels at full turn but I never expected to hear the noise.

I do not remember if the Hill Decent Control was on, but it was a level parking lot.
I do not know what the fluid looks like but it has had up to the 60K service from what I saw recorded.

I was told by another person that I should test it the same way but in grass. If I don't hear the noise then, it was probably it gripping the pavement and binding a bit.

Does anyone who has a LR3 know if this is normal, or is there something already broken on this one?

Does anyone want to go hop in their LR3 right now and drive around the parking lot and try to replicate it?!!!Wink Wink.

Thanks , and any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Hmmm. I would never consider locking any diff on pavement. Heck, I hardly ever use it off-roading or in ice and snow.

I would try it on a more forgiving surface such as grass or if you can find mud or better yet a place to get it with a wheel off the ground.

I'm betting it is just the tire scrubbing and unbinding as you turn.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:17 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Yea that does make sense. I was just hoping someone else has actually experienced it. I wouldn't normally lock it up on pavement, but I have to test it before I buy it.

Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:04 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
To be honest I have never used anything but te downhill desent control in the mud and rocky roads at our camp in NM. When we haul water usually 200 gallons jerry cans down a very steep rutty road, it's like a drive in the country. I'll lock up the diff and low range just to cycle it.
Ours is a 05HSE with just 100 on it, it works till I get the Disco 200 the way I want it.
Did I mention it's October fast here in Galveston?
Good night[/LIST]

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Using rock crawl mode puts preload on the center diff so it is partially locked or fully locked and shouldn't be used on road. There is nothing wrong with the vehicle.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:23 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
From the workshop manual...

Quote:
Selection of an inappropriate program for the terrain conditions will not endanger the driver or cause damage to the vehicle. Continued use of an inappropriate program may reduce the life of some components. The driver may notice reduced vehicle response, with the engine and transmission being less responsive than in the special programs off. Also, in some programs, HDC will remain on, signified by illumination of the HDC indicator in the instrument cluster. The driver may also notice torque 'wind-up' in the center and rear differentials causing a 'braking' effect when the vehicle is manoeuvred in some special programs.
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:27 AM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Thanks for all of the info guys, I appreciate it.
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:38 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Using rock crawl mode puts preload on the center diff so it is partially locked or fully locked and shouldn't be used on road. There is nothing wrong with the vehicle.
until he locked it up and started doing sharp turns on dry pavement. Damn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3, mod