LR3 or 2004 Discovery? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

LR3 or 2004 Discovery?

I need to get my soon to be wife a new car and am looking at low mileage 2004 Discoverys or a low mileage LR3. I have found a couple V6 LR3's online for a pretty good buy, but haven't been able to find any at a local dealership to drive. Are the V8 LR3's that much better and is it worth a +/-$2000 premium. Any suggestions or thoughts would be great. If anyone here has a LR3 pretty let me know what you think of it. Lease prices are in the mid 400's right now in Detroit, but I could also buy a low mileage Discovery for that monthly payment.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Captainruss
Russ Bowles
03 Disco II

From everything I've heard the V6 in the LR3 just isn't worth it. Slightly less HP with no advantage in fuel mileage. Many 04 DII's are coming off-lease about now so they are becoming more plentiful in the market therefore reducing the sale price.

My opinion is that down the road the 04 will hold its value more when you are ready to get rid of it. . It is the best of the Disco's as far as off-roading goes and there are plenty of folks who will be ready to buy it off you to make a sweet trail rig when that day comes.

On the other hand, I hear that LR3's are very comfy and road friendly. I fear that with all the electronics it will reduce its value in the future. I read recently that built in navigation systems are already affecting vehicle resale values since they can't really be upgraded and technology will bypass it pretty quickly.

Good luck with your decision
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

I was ready to trade my 2000 DII for an 07 LR3 HSE about a month ago. Then I drove it. To be brief, I found it to be bulky, sloppy, cheap (feel, not price), and not that fun to drive. Years ago, I remember how excited I was test driving the DII. I was coming from a Tahoe, and before that a 4Runner and a Pathfinder. I immediatielty loved the size and feel of the Disco. Of course, it's now 7 years old and starting to have it's share of typical LR problems, and I'm a little vein in that I like having a sharp newer truck to drive around. So it's looking like a slightly used G Wagon for me. But if it came down to it, I would definitely take an 04 DII over any LR3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It all depends what you are looking for. If you want out of the box offroad ability go with the LR3. If you want something that is more civilized, great on the highway, quiet, smooth, comfortable with easy access to the rear seats (esp. when you dont want to get your pants dirty on the wheel well), and MUCH better turning radius (and ease maneuvering) go with the LR3. If you want something that looks tough and is more upgradeable (ultimately better off-road) go with the Disco. They are both great vehicles, but you will get a better lease price on a V8 LR3 probably. Purchasing the V6 will be cheaper than the V8 probably. If the disco has enough power the V6 will be powerful enough as well. We have a ton of them if you want a V6 I can offer you a great deal I am sure. They are very different vehicles and it all depends on preference and what it will be used for. I wouldn't worry too much about the NAV as you can always get a Garmin for less than the factory one and you can pop it in the D when you want too.
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Andrew, what's you number, let's talk. Like I said, this is for my Fiancée. She will not be doing any offroading, but overall I think it would make for a good Michigan car. She would be fine with the V6, I think, but I could be wrong. I haven't been able to find one to drive. I can get the family and friends for Discount from Ford that helps a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

good luck with the search..one dealer you may want to check out is Bear Valley Land Rovers in Atlanta
they always seem to have a great pre owned selection of both the Land Rovers you are looking for. They have free shipping too on many of their cars.. I never used them but heard many good things

http://bvlr.com/browse.php?page=aboutus
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Do yourself a favor and get her something Japanese. Or, if you have a decent job, go German.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
jaguiler
John A
2006 - LR3

I have the V6 LR3 and I love it - it is extremely comfortable and well mannered on the road. It gives a great feeling of safety and sure footedness that I am sure she will appreciate. I drove a v8 as well, and the way I drive, I have not noticed too much of a difference in the v6, not anythign negative at least.... I liked the lr3 for the 7 seats available, on the one I bought, vs the Discos I was looking at. I have two kids and lots of family so that was the more practical choice.... The lr3 seemed liek it had a lot more elbow room as well, which is important to me since it is my daily driver.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Thanks Everyone for the input. I think that we will probaly end up going with the V6 LR3. I found one that seems to be a good deal (2006 - 14,000 mile for $27,000). I have a month or so to make up my mind before we have to turn her lease in. Any other comments or suggetions would be great.

Thomas, beside the (German) BMW X5 or X3 what would you suggest.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

I drove both the V6 and V8 LR3's and liked the way the V6 drove better than the V8. Unfortunately I needed the 300HP to tow my heavy boat in the Mountains so a V8 is what I purchased. I would get the V6 if you don't need the extra HP of the V8.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I'm a Mercedes man, myself. Get her the new GL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cover, disco, discovery, lr3