LR3/LR4 vs. Suburban - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

LR3/LR4 vs. Suburban

While at the Frisco LR dealership picking up some Christmas gifts for brother-in-law, I looked over and saw my wife and four kids sitting in a LR4 on the showroom. When I get over there, wife says "this is NICE". (Note: Defenders are my obsession that she tolerates).

Our current 'people mover' is a Chevy Suburban, with over 200,000 miles. Been a great truck, carries us, soccer gear, luggage on trips, and all our camping gear.

This might be an opportunity to join the LR family, using my wife as the catalyst. I know this is a Defender community; however, I assume other LR owners are on this forum. I also recall some posts of suburban owners. We always thought we would own a suburban (keep replacing the old one) until our kids were out of the house. Alas, I do not want to pass up this opportunity if my wife wants it.

I have come to respect many of your opinions and want to know what the community thoughts were. We will be replacing our suburban in the next 6 months and never thought a non-suburban would be an option from my wife.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You will miss the space. You will be amazed at the mpg improvement with the new Burb. Buddy drives 1300 miles to Orlando and saves $100 EW over his 8 year old Burb.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have heard great things about the lr3/4's. it won't be as roomy as the suburban, but they are excellent. We may sell our RR to get one. My wife won't drive our Yukon xl, it's too big. But it is great for towing and family trips, especially with 4 kids.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

My wife has an LR4 and loves it. I've never owned a suburban, buy I've driven plenty of rentals. If you use all the space, the LR4 will feel small. There's no room behind the 3rd row when the seats are up. With that said, if you can do without the space, I definitely recommend the LR4. The interior is approaching RR standards and the price isn't too outrageous considering what you get.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I have an '08 LR3 and love it. That said, I have heard that the LR4 is even better. Go put some miles on both the 3 & 4. You'll soon decide if it's a realistic option!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Had the LR3, liked it. Now have the LR4 and I really don't think there's a better vehicle for the money. That being said, if I had 4 kids I would definitely have a suburban. Space will run out very fast in an LR4.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
Besides...you live in Texas! Isn't the Suburban the official state vehicle?
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The LR4 is Unbeatable for what it is and its price, and I would argue with respect to towing, the LR4 is Phenomenal for towing; it has tons of power, its extremely smooth and quiet and has a lot of nice features for towing. Trailer Stability Assist is great, and eliminates Trailer Oscillation, which is Extremely Scary if you've ever experienced it. (I thought I was going to Jack-Knife and flip a couple times on my way from CO to IL in my Grand Cherokee years ago towing a U-Haul Trailer through NE and IA where the wind comes across you like crazy with no trees to break it.) Also, if you order the Vision Assist Pkg, Tow Hitch Assist will help you back straight up to the Tongue of the Trailer, and you can even input the trailer dimensions into the NAV screen and it will show you where your trailer is going to go as you turn the steering wheel in the car in reverse!

With all that said though, if you really use all the space and take road trips, you will miss the space. The LR4 is much more maneuverable and much easier to park, and you can leave one rear seat down to gain cargo space if there are only 6 of you, but again, it will be lacking a lot of space for a road trip, you will definitely need a rooftop carrier or a rear hitch carrier to make up for it.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGPete View Post
Besides...you live in Texas! Isn't the Suburban the official state vehicle?
Isn't the 'burb known as the Carolina Cadillac?

Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Having an LR3 now and coming from a family with 3 siblings nothing beat our suburban that we had when I was a teen. If you had 2 kids than an LR4 would be perfect. They are super nice and have power to spare, economy isn't terrible either. But due to your family size I think the burb is the way to go.

Might just have to save it for a treat for the family when 2 are out of the nest?
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:45 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Having an LR3 now and coming from a family with 3 siblings nothing beat our suburban that we had when I was a teen. If you had 2 kids than an LR4 would be perfect. They are super nice and have power to spare, economy isn't terrible either. But due to your family size I think the burb is the way to go.

Might just have to save it for a treat for the family when 2 are out of the nest?
Considering you were referring to the Burban from your teens, saying that the economy isnt terrible is the biggest lie ever, we had one a few years back, got like 13 mpg at best, that's not terrible when you compare it to a garbage truck or something. With that said it was an awesome truck, and so much better than the disco 2 we had for hauling at towing.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
I bought a LR4 for my wife and she absolutely loves it. She had a Yukon, and likes the rover much more. For the money, it's unbeatable, and an incredible vehicle. You will miss the space of the Burb, but the LR4 is much more spacious on the inside, than it looks from the outside. We both are very happy with our LR4.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
DGH
David Howe
None

My wife loves her LR4 and I suspect she will get another when this lease is up. We've never had a Suburban but she's driven several MB wagons, a Lexus LX and the MB GL550. This is by far her favorite vehicle with the LX in second.

It's hard to say what she likes about the car but it isn't the towing capability or fuel economy. She couldn't care less on either count. "Honey, my tank is on E..." She measures economy on how many times/week i have to fill the tank.

I think it's ride, maneuverability, comfort, power, style. Also the 6th and 7th seats are easy to operate, get out of the way when not in use, and actually provide a bit of leg room to the passengers. Best of class in that regard.

Good luck.
Defender - in the market
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Mtanzania
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(

My sister drives an LR4 which I steal every chance I get! An AMAZING vehicle that really gets up and moves (She has received speeding ticket after ticket even with a cop for a brother :-)) and looks great. Definitely not as big as a suburban, we can all agree on that, but for me and my family, it is about the perfect combination of maneuverability, comfort, ability both on and off road, etc. That being said, I can't afford one, so I drive a 94 D1 with a TDI. I love the diesel and can't get a newer diesel land rover here even if I could afford one. I have owned and sold my Dodge Ram quad cab, two LWB RRC's, an RRC, and an 04 D2 within the last few years in order to obtain the diesel. I have had to make sacrifices with what we take on trips because I don't have the room I used to, but for me it's worth it.

Now, if I could find a clean 95 LWB and swap my diesel and R-380 into it, I might have my perfect car (since I don't have the money for a defender yet).
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Considering you were referring to the Burban from your teens, saying that the economy isnt terrible is the biggest lie ever, we had one a few years back, got like 13 mpg at best, that's not terrible when you compare it to a garbage truck or something. With that said it was an awesome truck, and so much better than the disco 2 we had for hauling at towing.
Ho boy. Easy there pard. So hard to say anything nowadays, If you let me clarify....
The burb from my teens was not a match for fuel economy from when I was a teen and in college. I used to get 10.5 to 12 mpg city in the great white north and a whopping 15-16 mpg highway with a 700R4 on a brand new crate 350 engine in the 1984 suburban. My LR3 sees 13-15 city and 17-19 hwy calculated, not estimated from the trip computer. So economy isn't terrible was saying relative to its class in today's market.

I was referring to the space in the burb, not any of its other characteristics. If I had a family of 4 I would not keep the LR 3/4. I would get a burb or a Yukon. It does not have enough room to move a family of 4 and its needs.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My 04 Yukon xl 2500 with 4.11s gets 11.8 in the city and 16.5 on the highway. I don't feel that is too bad, when hauling around 6 people and gear.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When I drove my father's sub in college (98 k1500 with 3.42 gears) I would get high teens in mixed driving. WAY better than any of my rover v8s. Oh, and that thing is still going strong at close to 300k miles with no major issues (a rad and cats were the biggest ticket items to go bad).
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:14 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
With 4 kids I would say get another 'Burban. We have one that gets full use - makes trips to the scrap yard, dump, nursery, Lowes, etc during the day. Fold the seats up and carry kids around to sports and actvities during the afternoon. And on some nights - haul 6 adults in total comfort to a nice restaurant.

For such a big rig I think it drives and handles great. I have driven it in all sorts of shitty weather. A few weeks ago did a 4 hour trip home from riding a mtn bike park until 10pm and driving home all night and thru a rain storm the whole way. The 'burb just gets the shit done. We had the bikes and gear inside and there were 3 of us. Wouldn't have been able to do that with the LR4.

The only time I really hate the Chevy is going to certain places downtown and need to park.

My sis in law has an LR4. It is really nice and like others said a good value and also has the Land Rover badge on it. The LR4 shits and gets for sure and handles decently for such a heavy vehicle. But after hurricane Sandy she took a bunch of the kids to Vermont and asked for the Suburban if that says anything. Kids all had their own seat and bags were in the back - no need for roof storage.

We are close to 50k on the clock and save for the 50k service the Chevy has been pretty cheap. According to my sis in law the LR4s go thru brakes like crazy and little stuff is stupid money. Plus why get a nice LR4 interior when 4 kids and their friend will destroy it. I "joke" with the guys at the dump yard that the stuff I bring them does less damage to the interior than the kids.

As far as fuel economy - I really think it might be a wash. The LR4 might win around town but highway I will get 17 MPG with my 'burban loaded up, driving 75, and up north with plenty of hills. (I got close to 20mpg this summer going to ME with it empty) When I took the LR4 up to VT to meet the family - it had the Thule box up top and was gulping fuel (although I do not remember MPG off the top of my head). One more thing the LR4's tank is small - I had to fill that truck up 2x on the way up.

The LR4 is a nicer vehicle and for 4 total is perfect. But add 2 more kids, friends, dogs, gear, etc then the Suburban gets the node. Just get the LTZ for a good balance of nice interior and durability.
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

He current Burb will get you well over 22mpg on the highway. My buddy claims more especially when it operates in 4 cylinder mode.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Well, I showed my wife all of your responses. She could not believe that a LR forum would advocate any other vehicle than a LR product.

I explained to her that the thread was LR3/LR4 vs. Suburban and NOT D-90 vs Suburban. I followed that with a pitch for a D-90 SW with four jump seats in rear and keep the suburban for her. To which, I received the dreaded 'eye-roll'.

I appreciate all of your responses. My wife thought the Tahoe/Yukon were too small for our needs and I compared the LR3/4s to a Tahoe (relative to its size and carrying capacity-kids, gear, etc.).

We will probably continue with a Suburban until our two oldest are out of the house.

Thank you again for your candid responses and voices of reason.

Note: my 15-year old daughter hit me up for a Discovery, as a 'cool' car to have in high school. I broke it to her that I get my D-90 before I get her a LR.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3, lr4