Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:31 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
LR3 Key Question

My father was given an LR3 by my brother and only has one key. He talked to the Dealer in Cincinnati and was told they are $400 and will take weeks to get.

Are there any other options? Did Land Rover provide a valet key with the LR3s that might be simpler?

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Sadly that is mostly true. The keys have to be ordered by a dealer direct from Land Rover and they are not cheap. I had the same situation with mine. But 400 seems steep. I would check around with other dealers if you have more than one nearby.
Old August 26th, 2016, 07:07 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
Sadly that is mostly true. The keys have to be ordered by a dealer direct from Land Rover and they are not cheap. I had the same situation with mine. But 400 seems steep. I would check around with other dealers if you have more than one nearby.
here is another possible shock to the wallet, some dealers will synchronize your new key free of charge while others will charge for this service.
reason for the high cost of key, the fob contains the immobilizer and remote and the key is laser cut according to V.I.N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2016, 11:04 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
My replacement key here in San Diego was $250, but I was able to program it myself using my Faultmate. But yes they are custom ordered and laser cut by VIN all the way from Solihull.

See if one of the local independents will program the key for you, that can save a little bit on the price.

Having only one key for an LR3 is a VERY risky situation, because you need at least one of the existing keys working to program more keys. If you can't cough up one of they keys, you have to replace the Central Junction Box (CJB) which is the main brain of the whole truck. It is not cheap nor easy to replace. Even the dealer can't override the security portion of the CJB if you have no working keys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 27th, 2016, 07:02 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

RN can get them as well, but will still need flashed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3