LR3 incognito brake controller? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

LR3 incognito brake controller?

Anyone have any clever ideas for mounting a brake controller on an LR3?
I bought a can-am commander and with its supporting trailer is just a touch over the unbraked trailer recommendation. So I got the trailer with brakes. I already had the oem trailer light/brake harness installed. I bought a tekonsha p3 controller and adapter, but wanted to see what people have done to mount it.

I don't want to maul the cig tray, I prefer to do a standard mount or a clever mount somewhere in the drivers footwell. But I thought I'd ask what others have done to see if it inspires me.

Thanks for the info guys!

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Pic of the commander
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	70364  
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:22 AM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
I bought this... Nothing to mount. Just need a power plug...

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90250...ake+controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Could have bought a trailer with surge brakes...would have been much easier.

Just make sure you mount it where it it easy to manually activate if you get sway...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

No worries man. Good point.
It was a custom build by echo trailers in UT. I Don't know for sure, but I think it's just regular old trailer brakes...I pick the trailer up next week. I requested "trailer" brakes, so I assume they are just standard electric brakes . The dealer asked me the, uhh are you sure you want trailer brakes question and I said yep. Like you said its pretty light.... He didn't think I needed it either, but I thought why not. I have some future plans that will require real braking so I thought so get ready for it.

Pete
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:15 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
No worries man. Good point.
It was a custom build by echo trailers in UT. I Don't know for sure, but I think it's just regular old trailer brakes...I pick the trailer up next week. I requested "trailer" brakes, so I assume they are just standard electric brakes . The dealer asked me the, uhh are you sure you want trailer brakes question and I said yep. Like you said its pretty light.... He didn't think I needed it either, but I thought why not. I have some future plans that will require real braking so I thought so get ready for it.

Pete
Just ask if they are surge or electric....if they are surge...no controller required.

Towed my 24ft boat on a dual axel trailer with surge and my old Range Rover on a car trailer with surge...never had issues...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
This really is my #1 beef with the LR3 in general, the dash is so busy that there really is no place to put anything. If you didn't need to get to the manual control I would say pull the center console and install it underneath there, I have stuffed lots of electronics there in the past.

Another possible location is the cover that snaps on to the front of the driver's seat, it's removable to get to the nav computer, and you could run the wiring either down the door trim or under the center console. Mostly out of the way, and you could still reach down and hit the switch if you needed to.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

My UK experience was all with surge brakes. Only discovered electric brakes in the US but provision for electric brake controller should have been made.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I have mine in the lower cowl above the pedals, I can reach it in case of need ( manual operation of the trailer brakes )

The D3 comes with a plug ( right cowl on tunnel ) where you plug a Ford connector ( for the P3 at least )

Could take pics tonight if needed
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah should have added that... The plug is there waiting to be used, it makes it a plug and play install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 20th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

So they are full on real trailer brakes. Pulled pretty good on the way home. Interested to see how it does with the Utv on there. Used a lot more gas on the way back compared to going to get it. That gate is kind of like a sail lol.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I will dig around and see what makes sense and post the installed controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	70438  
Old April 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
So they are full on real trailer brakes. Pulled pretty good on the way home. Interested to see how it does with the Utv on there. Used a lot more gas on the way back compared to going to get it. That gate is kind of like a sail lol.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I will dig around and see what makes sense and post the installed controller.
I tow / used to tow:

Snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds inside ( Enclosed ) total weight 6k
Rhino + King Quad + Honda Rubi on aluminum Trailer - total weight 4.2K
D-90 - Total weight 6.6k
Motorcycles - Road / Dirt - total weight 2.8k
Sankey - maybe 1.5k, my sankey has Disc Brakes, so I forgot was behind me all the time

All completely uneventful and in one of more occasion @ 80mph, NOW @ that speed with the UTV/Quads, I was getting 10-11mph unless I was on a very flat road then 13-14

You notice the heavy weight uphill of course and in highspeed exit ramps , otherwise, only if you look in the mirror
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Gustavo,
That's cool man, thanks for the info! Good hear hear it pulls lots of stuff!
It's a bit more labored, but not dogging when pulling this getup. More shifting of gears, but I think I will use that command shift more. Being at 5500ft+ all the time the hills do drop ya down pretty quick. I have yet to get below 3500ft, I bet the LR3 at sea level is pretty sweet.
Pete
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:59 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Hows that Commander treating you? Was the X worth the upgrade over the XT?

Anxious to see how the LR3 pulls the 90 in the heat for 1200 miles this summer...
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:16 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

I towed my 90 to Moab with my lr3 a few times and it was great!! I used to just throw the brake controller in the cup holder, then when it wasn't in use I threw it in the drivers door pocket. Just a thought.

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old April 21st, 2013, 02:21 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Hows that Commander treating you? Was the X worth the upgrade over the XT?

Anxious to see how the LR3 pulls the 90 in the heat for 1200 miles this summer...
I think the fox shocks really make a difference. And as the dealer pointed out you can add the winch for less than you can buy the shocks for. The dealer has a little dirt lot next to his place and we got to test just about every model and even some cats. In the end I liked the x the best. i think the fox shocks help with the big hits. I've put abut 100 miles on it so far and really like it it's crazy how much faster you go on the dirt compared to a defender or jeep. Bird hunting this year will be pretty cool.

1200 miles whoa ! That's a good haul.

------ Follow up post added April 21st, 2013 11:22 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymg View Post
I towed my 90 to Moab with my lr3 a few times and it was great!! I used to just throw the brake controller in the cup holder, then when it wasn't in use I threw it in the drivers door pocket. Just a thought.
Nice!
Your garage is awesome by the way. I should swing by with some beers next time I'm down your way.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:52 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks Peter! Jealous when you talk about ATVing, birding, etc! Cant wait to move back west.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
brake, lr3