Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 26th, 2015, 03:04 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
LR3 - Hawk Brake Pads

Please no I told you so(s).
When it comes to brakes, I understand that most here say go Genuine LR or go home. But not heeding to this sound advice, I took the cheap route and went with the AllMakes rotor and Hawk pad combo. Hard not to try at that price. Only installed the rears for now (existing fronts are fine) and boy to they emit a metallic grinding sound. No squealing, just grinding. Also, the bite is not linear and grabs at low speed stops. Yes the pads were bedded per the instructions.
Just checking what others have found with the Hawk pads. Assuming the AllMakes rotors are fine. No runout on the gauge. At this rate, I'll give them another few hundred miles before throwing the pads away.

Hawk Brake Rebuild Kit For LR3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 03:44 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
LOL. Received a "You've been Thanked" from a fellow NOVA'er that said

"JESUS...I won't do it in public, but WHAT did I tell you!!!"
Yes that was directed to you!
Old March 26th, 2015, 03:49 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I've had people tell me to get the EBC pads for the LR3. I have EBC on both of my other rovers.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Erik@Lucky8
Erik
1985 D110 Ex-MOD & a few others
D-90 Source Vendor

FWIW, Ive been running All-Makes Rotors and their basic cheap $30 pads on my 2006 LR3 for the last 30k problem free miles. Not so much as a peep from them.
1991 RRC Hunter - 2" OME
1985 D110 EX-MOD
Gone:
2006 LR3
2004 D2
2001 D2
2001 D2 - Lucky8 Project D2 - REDUX
2000 D2 - Trail Project, maybe
1999 P38
1995 RRC LWB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 26th, 2015, 04:21 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Lucky8 View Post
FWIW, Ive been running All-Makes Rotors and their basic cheap $30 pads on my 2006 LR3 for the last 30k problem free miles. Not so much as a peep from them.
Now we are talking. Let me put a few miles on them before I give you a ring. Not interested in coughing up $140 for genuine pads. I've run a Hawk pads on my track car before switching to PFC-06 compound. The grinding noise was identical before getting them nice and toasty (which is necessary).
Old May 25th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
I've been through two sets of rotor/pad combos on my LR3 so far. The first, All-Make from AB, and Frozen Rotors w/Hawk pads from Diversified Cryogenics. Both were broken in correctly and both rotors and pads were changed out at the same time.

The All-Make combo was functionally okay, but w/two major gripes- 1. They corroded almost overnight; worse than I'd ever seen on a truck. They were only subjected to 2-3 NoVA snows, but the edges of the rotors became so rusty that pieces of them began to flake off. The pads lasted about 20k miles (attributable to a Defender move cross-country without a brake controller), and squeaked from time to time. Overall, they were livable, but I decided that their performance wasn't worth the savings, and made a change the next time around.

Installed Frozen Rotors (1789/1790FZR) and their recommended Hawk pads next. As the name implies, the rotors come cryogenically treated via a proprietary 60-hr process and with as many miles as I'm putting on my LR3- I was excited to give them a try. Within the first ~150 miles, I started to get a significant shimmy in the steering wheel and oscillations in the foot pedal. Believing that there was no earthly way that the rotors could be untrue after less than 200 miles, I replaced my tie rods, which were slightly loose after ~35k miles. No change whatsoever to the oscillations- further troubleshooting confirmed it was the front rotors. By 300 miles, they were also showing quite a bit more corrosion than I would have expected (and the sentiment was shared by Diversified). I communicated the issue to them with a few pics, and let me tell you- they're a first class outfit. They were good enough to send out a brand new pair of front rotors at no charge. They're not a rotor OEM, so we're betting on a manufacturing tolerance issue.

If my Diversified rotors/pads get sorted out, and the service life of the rotors is in fact extended- then I'll likely continue down this path. Otherwise, next time I'm shooting for green-labeled factory parts...

Hope this helps.
Old May 25th, 2015, 09:18 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'll be another FWIW:
I've got NAPA OEM Replacement rotors and brakes on mine for 15K and they've been nothing but great. They may disintegrate next week, but for the $, if they do I'll stick the exact same thing back on.
Old May 25th, 2015, 09:20 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

I've used genuine, Mintex and ECB pads with similar results. Seems they all need to be changed around 25k miles +/-. I replaced the discs once around 65k miles with the drilled and slotted ones from AB. At 105k miles they need to be replaced again soon.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
brake, lr3, pads