Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:16 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
LR3 guys....tires?

Can I put these on my stock 06 lr3 with rear a/c without a problem. Reading different opinions. Read some minor rub under hard off-road which I won't probably do without putting on some johnson rods. Thinking about any problems around town.

Thanks
BFG AT 265-65-18

31.5-31.7"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
no issues at all

my BIL runs those on his SE7
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

285 60 18s nitto grapplers on the wife's 3. they are a little wide and I had to move the wires for the height sensors but other than that we'll go with that size again when these wear out. Much better than the pos that came from the factory.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for the info. Need to do this soon since mine are shot. BFG AT should be a BIG improvement.

R
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I have 275/65/18 BFG ATs on my LR3 and had to shorten the height sensors by 10mm (about 1.5-2" lift). Even with this lift the tires still rub slightly at full lock, no problems driving around town though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Can I put these on my stock 06 lr3 with rear a/c without a problem. Reading different opinions. Read some minor rub under hard off-road which I won't probably do without putting on some johnson rods. Thinking about any problems around town.

Thanks
BFG AT 265-65-18

31.5-31.7"
This is the same size I ran on my LR3....Best fitting size in my opinion. I happen to have an airspring failure on a fairly difficult trail 3 years ago and was able to stack rocks to get out. Had I run a larger tire I would have mostly likely been stuck!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

What kind of MPG effects did you guys see with the larger tires?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:28 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Mine went down but the RTT and other added weight didn't help either. I could easily achieve 20mpg with it in stock form on the highway. With the mods and added weight (near the end of ownership I had is on the scale at 7,000lbs +) I was only able to achieve 12-13 around town and 16 or so on the highway..
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Anyone want to part with their spare Michelin Synchrone tires in 255/55R19? I need two preferably 9/32 tread or better. Let me know if you have one.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:34 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I've had MT/Rs on mine for a coupla years now. I use the adjustable Sasquatch rods, and I don't have any rubbing.

I am about ready to put a new set on, and it will most likely be MT/Rs again.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I have 275/65/18 BFG ATs on my LR3 and had to shorten the height sensors by 10mm (about 1.5-2" lift). Even with this lift the tires still rub slightly at full lock, no problems driving around town though.
Got any side pictures of the stance at normal height with the lift. with the 276/65/18. I'm assuming a lift is required for that size correct?

How did you shorten the sensors. I can't decide if I should go a little larger and run the rods full time or just go largest possible and put the rods on when I off road it.

thanks for all the great input.

R
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Rich,

I am at work now but can snap a few pics later. I made my own rods. They are adjustable so you can raise or lower as needed. Great for leveling the corners. When I made mine I bought enough for an extra set. They are not as nice as Sasquatch but who has $200 to spend on something so simple to do on your own. I can send you a set if you want.

For that tire size you will need a lift. I am really happy with the lift and tire size. You will have to reprogram the CPU to adjust the speedometer though. I have a faultmate and reprogrammed everything myself.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Rich,

I am at work now but can snap a few pics later. I made my own rods. They are adjustable so you can raise or lower as needed. Great for leveling the corners. When I made mine I bought enough for an extra set. They are not as nice as Sasquatch but who has $200 to spend on something so simple to do on your own. I can send you a set if you want.

For that tire size you will need a lift. I am really happy with the lift and tire size. You will have to reprogram the CPU to adjust the speedometer though. I have a faultmate and reprogrammed everything myself.
Cool,
Thanks for the offer. I'd be willing to pay you for them. Just have to decide on lifting or not.

Thanks
R

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2013 12:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Cool,
Thanks for the offer. I'd be willing to pay you for them. Just have to decide on lifting or not.

Thanks
R
Also what do you think the clearance would be at normal height once lifted. I guess it would just add 2" to it. I have city indoor garages to consider, and some of them are LOW. Wouldn't want to give the D3 a haircut.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:31 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
No need to pay me. I just happen to have all the parts worked out and found them cheap. I can just send them to you and you can play with it since they are adjustable. You will have to cut the eyebolts to length before assembling them together.

I have a standard house garage here in Florida and the LR3 fits just fine, even lifted with the bigger BFGs on normal height setting. I just drop it to access height so the kids can get in and out easier.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
No need to pay me. I just happen to have all the parts worked out and found them cheap. I can just send them to you and you can play with it since they are adjustable. You will have to cut the eyebolts to length before assembling them together.

I have a standard house garage here in Florida and the LR3 fits just fine, even lifted with the bigger BFGs on normal height setting. I just drop it to access height so the kids can get in and out easier.
Thanks. Post a picture if you can.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
No problem. I work until 8 tonight. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Access height
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	71314

Normal height

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	71315

Off-road height

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	71316

Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Great pics, thanks for posting!

I had the Nitto A/T on my 04 dodge ram and I really liked them, they wore really well and were pretty good offroad. I see that they make close to stock sizes as well which is nice.
Great to see the pics with the lift and heights. The LR3 is pretty sexy with a little taller stance.

When my treads are worn I might go this route with slightly larger. As it is now though with the roof rack I am verrrrrrrrry close to the top of the garage door.

Pete
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Here are some better pics:

Access:

Name:	DSCN2579.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	71323

Normal:

Name:	DSCN2578.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	71322

Offroad:

Name:	DSCN2575.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	71321

Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
great pictures. Thanks for posting and I think I will go in that direction. The BFG's look awesome on your LR3.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3