LR3 good car or not? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I've got an 08 LR3 that is at 49K. Had full factory maintenance for 4/50K. Some common issues with the LR3/RRS that I've had some issues with as well:

1. Factory brakes are finally at marginal... but I'm fairly mindful of red lights, etc and don't slam on brakes. 50K on original brakes for this truck is pretty good I think.

2. Factory Goodyears went at 23K.... the Bridgestones that I have on there now get a bit lumpy in cold mornings, but with 26K, I still have 5/8 of the tread remaining. Great tires.

3. Some electrical gremlins in the wet Pacific NW weather like seats that refuse to move, navigation system freezing, stereo freezing, a sensor that went kaput that caused a tow to the dealer for a quick fix.

4. Suspension air bags seem to be loosing some air on stops.

5. Headlights that accumulate condensations. Dealer says that this is common and won't affect the adaptive/HID system but I'm skeptical. They do dry out once the lights turn on.

6. Engine over-idled and had loss of power on a 10 mile stretch a couple months ago. Dealer couldn't replicate.

7. Dealers can't replicate half the crap that I've listed, even when I leave the truck there for a few days....

8. Mileage: 15 loaded with a Thule roof box and average of 75 mph. 16 in mixed. 19 at 65 mph on the interstate.

That said, I've got nothing but tires, and now brakes, into her. I originally wanted the RR but I need the 7 seat capacity, and NO mid-size SUV does better at seating 7 normal adults. I'll be trading it in shortly as I think the LR4's 5.0 has the power I need to tow a 24 foot river boat. The 113" wheelbase and lower tongue limit does hinder towing ability some; don't be fooled by the 7700 lbs towing capacity or 14K plus GCWR.

If electrical gremlins and suspension faults are the norm, then I'd think this truck could get expensive fast outside of warranty, as a daily driver.

If you don't need the 7 seat capacity, I think there are a lot of trucks out there that is a better value for whatever you do, be it mall cruiser (Audi Q7, BMW X5, VW Touareg, the false Porsche), off roader (Touareg II, 4Runner, new Jeep GC), etc. But if you're not worried about value.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE7 w/ HD Package & Cold Climate package... I got it in 2008 w/ about 40k miles on it, and now have about 77k on it.. I got it as a certified pre owned, and upped the warranty to 100k miles.

Knock on wood, nothing major has gone wrong with it, over the years I've had it at the dealership for a couple quick fixes... most recently I had my thermostat go out, I've had a seat stop reclining... right now my trunk wont open, which apparently happens to a few of them (an internal cable snaps), havent brought it to the dealership yet for that.

For personal maintenance, its not horrible.. oil changes are only a pain in the ass because you have to remove like 12 bolts to get the factory skid plates off... an air ratchet makes it a quick job, and its very tolerable as long as you have the truck lifted off the ground a bit (even little ramps). Brake pads were easy... there are wear sensors on it, the front one is a bit of the pain in the ass because of the routing.. in the future, i'll try to keep an eye on it, and replace the pads before the wear sensors go out.

My sister had a 2005, which she ended up having the dealer buy back because of consistent air suspension issues... she ended up getting a 2006 after that, which was a lot more tolerable with issues.

That being said, just as SMac said, the truck could potentially get expensive fast outside of warranty, especially if you use the dealership to do things... an independent, like anything else, would probably be a lot more tolerable.

The stock goodyear tires it had on it were decent until they started wearing, then they were horrible... I replaced it with a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's All Terrains and its amazing now. On road and offroad.

My mileage is fairly worse than SMac's, I get about 11 city, and 15-17 highway... I think the slightly oversized tires I have lower it too.

Overall, I do love the truck as a whole, it's comfortable, its great on the highway... and the few times I've taken it offroad its had no trouble getting over anything other than my cautiousness, the traction control and rear locker with the HD model that I have make it unstoppable, a little bit of armor and it'll go anywhere. I'm probably going to end up selling it within the next year or two though to get something a bit more basic (another defender perhaps), but that's just personal choice.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Thanks a lot for the detailed info on the lR3. We already own a touareg but it is to small. And we just love the land rovers i am a sucker for it. And my wife likes the LR3 a lot to. We have 2 big dogs and the t-reg is just not big enough, and we do use them off road. We live in a fairly remote place in bc with lots of snow and mud. So we do need a capable 4x4 we like and can trust. I know its a land rover!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

We had an 08 LR3 and traded it for a MB GL450. I have nothing but great things to say about the LR3. Ours was bullet proof. I changed one set of tires and changed the oil. Compare that to the GL which has had three non-planned shop visits in 7k miles. I wish I could reverse our decision and get the LR3 back. We'll be getting an LR4 once my wife's GL lease is up.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's my $0.02:

- When new, I got 20mpg hwy, now I get about 18mpg hwy (not bad).
- Can tow the hell out of stuff. I've towed 10K+ pounds up a mountain road to my place in NY with no issues (note: obviously I don't recommend this however for the tranny or the tow hitch). Also towed the 110 from VA to NY without any issue.
- If the truck has 50K+ miles on it, make sure it's had the thermostat replaced...they go almost at 50K exactly. However, it is a supremely easy job and can be done in less than 30mins.
- Make sure it comes with service records, should be readily available.
- Brakes/rotors also goes through quickly because of it's weight, but likewise is easy to do at home (and parts at AB are cheap.I did mine all the way around for $350).
- Just replaced my front diff seal, also not a bad job...lasted 72K and part was only $19.
- Make sure you get '06 or later with the newer motor (non-BMW).
- If you're going to get one, make sure you get the electronic locking rear diff...only available on the HSE, and is easy to spot b/c they are the only ones that come with a full sized spare (as Ken pointed out).
- Speaking of diffs, these are prone to go (front & rear). Put a keen ear on any diff of one you consider. Likewise, diffs are easy to service, BUT must have very specific Rover fluid (or alternate BG fluid is good too). If the diff fluidhaven't been done by 50K walk away.
- WATER LEAKS - I could write the manual on water ingress on an LR3, and have the spots to check for and the quick fixes to solve...most people, including Rover themselves, don't know what the hell to do with this. The solution is: A-pillars need upgraded clips, drop headliner in front & blow out sunroof drains, add extended cover on fresh air intake in front of the glovebox. Cheap fixes but just about every LR3 seems to have these issues and most have not been addressed .
- if you plan to do your own oil changes get the Blackbox CAN-mate SRT that I discussed here:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...light=Blackbox
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 15th, 2012, 12:21 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Ha...forgot about the water ingress issues. Stealer fixed those supposedly, and haven't had issues since even in Pacific NW weather.

I'd just get a T-Reg II V10 TDI....
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
We bought a 2005 LR3 HSE a couple of months ago, off warranty, in great shape with about 78K miles on it. Same scenario, we bought it as the wife's car and had to have 7 seats to haul kids + visitors without having to take two cars. We have so far no issues, it is running great, love the whole seating position/cabin feel (well, my own daily driver is the 110 so ...). Not sure why people say avoid the 2005 year - that was in fact the second year of production for the LR3, as it was sold only in the UK as the Disco 3 in 2004 first, did not export to N America until 2005. If you can get a good, well-maintained 2005 HSE over a mediocre 2006 or 2007 SE, go for the 2005 HSE - like many cars, buy for condition and mileage and options rather than year per se. Agree with others here that the HSE is the one to get - better stereo too, and the adaptive headlights and dash sat-nav/vehicle info are cool. DO get the cold climate package with heated seats (you get front AND rear heated seats!) and windscreen - it is really excellent and in BC you'll praise it to the heavens in winter.

V8 mileage is the pits, frankly, but oh well. The V6 - if you find one - only offers a fuel savings of 1 mpg over the V8 for a whopping 70 hp less power, but is a long-standing Ford engine that is very durable. Just don't buy the V6 thinking that you'll save on gas! Agree with the point above that there is no such thing as a "BMW" LR3, Ford owned LR by the time the LR3 started production, and the two engines for the LR3 (in N America) are the Jaguar-sourced V8 and the Ford-sourced V6. Both are fine engines, reliable etc. But you only get HSE's with the V8. In Europe they also got the excellent TDV6 diesel, which sold well and is probably the best engine for the car, and one of LR's best engines ever. Sigh.

Tires can wear fast (avoid pathetic GY Wrangler HPs that are factory standard, they wear the worst) and unevenly if the alignment is out (inner edge wears faster than outer). Alignment has to be done a dealer as suspension has to be put into "tight tolerance" mode first. Cooper Zeons are good. HSE wheels are 19" alloys, with much less choice of tires that are also more expensive. Some swap out the 19" for 18" 10-spokes that are easily bought on eBay. Be careful not to get too imaginative with wheel swaps though, the LR3 is very heavy and needs wheels rated for its weight. You can put more aggressive MTR tires - like GY Wrangler MTRs - on the 18" wheels and then get a mod of the air suspension to allow for the greater height inside the wheel wheels. Johnson Rods makes the suspension rods for this, about a 2" lift - only costs about $350 as I recall, for the rods and you can install them yourself in your driveway.

I love our LR3, it has been totally reliable, massively solid and comfortable in town and on highway, and does all that we'd hoped it would. No water ingress problems so far, as others have noted this can be an issue but the solutions are well known and easily sorted e.g. clipping the ends of the sunroof drains - it's all out there on the internet now. No issue with rear tailgate so far, mine works fine. In fact, I have had no issues at all. I wish it had a TDV6 diesel instead, for sure, but even as I wince at the fuel consumption, it does feel good to put the boot down once in a while and have the 300 hp snap your head back. Yes, the LR4 has an even bigger V8 but unless it gets much better fuel economy (hard to imagine) I don't really see the point. The LR3 V8 moves the car pretty well, it is not perfectly mated to the 6-speed automatic, true, so there can be a bit of hesitation when starting off, but you learn to adapt to that easily.

It would be a great family car for BC (speaking as a born Albertan!), even stock, but put some bad boy MTRs and a lift on an HSE and you will be unstoppable. We bought our LR3 for just $16K and at that price you can be more daring with how you drive it off road, eh? Go for it!! Join the growing ranks of the his Defender and her's LR3 families (where the her's is really an "ours")!

Cheers,
John
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:01 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
I wish it had a TDV6 diesel instead, for sure

We bought our LR3 for just $16K and at that price you can be more daring with how you drive it off road, eh?
Oh man you and me both on that TDV6...pisses me off on a daily basis that diesels are not here in the states. Next car will probably be an Audi A6 avant Tdi for the wife (once its available stateside).

I also hear you on a $16k trail rig...I may have to go that route!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 16th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Thanks Guy's

@John, i don't think my wife would like it when i take her LR3 off road....... But maybe i can take a small detour when buying some milk

Yes you are right in Europe they only drive the tdv6! a very good and strong engine! I know lots of guys with a tdv6 in Europe and they never had any problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3