Lr3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 17th, 2004, 09:06 PM
1995 SW #487/500

finally got ot drive one it was impressive on the road I was able to use the low range it had a pretty good reduction. the 6 speed was suprising. the brakes were incredible. thats about that for the LR3 I would take one.. lots of plastic tho. would sound good with a flowmaster.

Old December 18th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Re-Fendered 90
I got a good look at one yesterday. Saw it from all angles. I really can't tell if I like it, or it was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Right now I am leaning on the ugly side. It might grow on me though.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
I was the same way. I can't tell if I love it or hate it! Of course, isn't that the way it goes with LRs?
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
The ones I have stood next too I am mixed on but overall for appearance, I really like them. Just some colors dont do it justice. The White ones I like and the pictures of the G4 Orange so far are my favs. I would like to find time to take one for a drive.
Chris von C

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
Old December 18th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
I like the overall look, and love the interior. I hate the IFS, air bags, price tag, spare tire mount, plastic, and wheels.
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90
Passed by our local dealer the other day. They had 3 '04 Disco II's lined up next to the new LR3's. From afar the new vehicle's stance alone demonstrates just how much Land Rover fundamentals are changing. I'm quite sure these are impressive vehicles, great to drive and with a much needed quality boost. But they are so very different from what most of us expect from a Land Rover. The LR3 will sell well, and to people who didn't previously consider a Land Rover. It is hard to imagine, though, one of these campaigning in the Camel Trophy or running a cross continent expedition.
"Uhh...I think they all leak like that."
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import
I drove one last month -it is light years ahead of the old on road - I had no chance to try off. Told my boss about it and next day he and I went for a test drive and he bought it. So far he is as pleased as punch and says in this current apalling weather (-35C right now) with lots of snow and ice it is fab. he has made a few long trips into the mountains and says it is just perfect. I have to say its ride comfort has been under-reported - it soaks up road imperfections amazingly - bumps that are jarring in my toyota simply arent there (maybe it eighs so much it flattens them out. I think if Ihad one I wuld put a swing away spare onthe back and an extra fuel tank in place - with the V8 it's range aint great.

We aim to take it gently off roading soon (don't want to hurt that dark blue paint!) against a couple of 90s. Just too cold right now.
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
I saw a bunch in the Alps and drove one of the diesels. I really didn't think much of it. Sure it was fast and comfortable. Drove like my subaru does. To be honest, I think for the money, it's crap. The design is ho-hum and the interior is so-so. It is what it is I guess. Not for me though.

I did however get to drive my families latest addition (dubbed the "wine-box"), an '00 G. Let me just say, it was awesome. Simple design, very Defender/Puch like. And the controls are right there. Notice the three switches in the center of the dash. It leaves you no doubt this rig was meant to be taken offroad. As soon as the diff locks, it disables ABS and your on the go. And the V8 gets horrid mileage, just like ours... I almost crapped when I pulled to the pump on empty the first time. The Liters add up fast...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2295  
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104
As for the LR3, I hated them until i went and drove it...My dad ended up putting an order in for an HSE last week and we should be getting it here soon. I think once everyone realizes that its not going to be what we want completely then the LR3 will grow on everyone. After driving it a couple weeks ago it changed my feelings about it....

Jason Habbal

I would like to find a way to put those brakes from the LR3 on my D90...The brakes on it were amazing..
"tell them to phucough"

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605
I hated the truck when the pictures first came out, but after seeing one at the dealership up close it has grown on me. I agree with a previous post about the need for a rear tire carrier. I think it would look a lot better with a 2"-3" lift, some MTR's, a rear tire carrier, roof rack, and a ARB with winch up front.
If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Matt White
94 D-90
I think for what the LR3 is (ie. mall cruiser) it dose it very well and should make it profitable Land Rover. Then maybe, just maybe, Ford will once again let LR special vehicals build some really cool sh*t like j**p is doing now

Anyways I've driven the LR3 offroad and it was suprising capable, of course it was a track designed for the LR3 but still it was very nice. The guys let my dad and I run the track in our 110 and 90 and on the climb out of a water hole up a steap hill the 110 couldn't make it because of the sals. digging into the ruts. In the articulation section I needed my lockers and it sounded like my frame was going to snap in half, the LR3 did everything so smooth it never felt like you were offroad, yes it was a little tippy on the articulation but not bad.

Would I drive everyday, no, but my mom would and thats all that matters to LR
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Just came back from the LA Auto show. A real eye opener. Spent about 5 hours looking around and walked away thinking all cars can now be tightly grouped. Overall real boring. For LR, I was impressed by the L3 and the way it was put together. Solid, well finished. It is a lot of plastic inside, but better than the other manufacturers on the floor (I sat in the $90,000 SL merc and broke the plastic bin under the seat with the heel of my size 13 foot). The only other car in the group I liked was the Toyota Sequoa. Other than that, I had a lot of fun busting on the H2. Talk about plastic! The kids were all over them on the floor and bumper ends were snapped off, and the inside in a week of car show use, worn, broken, chipped. Ugg! Jeep had a nice stand. Limited cars but a concept with a nice look. Not realy interested in the Jeeps - torn the tranny out of a CJ7 years back so...
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
1997 Hardtop
I've seen that 3 a number of times, and I think most are right...there is something that's a little off, and I can't place it. I think the RR looking front is definitely cool. And it looks good straight on from the back, but I think it gets sort of murky in the rear haunches.

After my female co-worker looked at it, she said, "It has a big butt." I asked for more detail, and her reply was, "It looks nice, athletic and sporty from the front, then it kind of eases into the look of a fat, out of shape ex-football player."

I'm not sure if that captures it...but it was a good/funny description.

That said, all things considered. I really like it. As of right now, it's probably my next vehicle.

I've already seen a snorkle on one of them...looks cool...but nobody would ever use it that way...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat