Lr3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 12th, 2004, 01:41 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Lr3

The LR3 is on the the Land Rover web site.

www.landrover.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Nyce
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just got back from the NY auto show.... I did not like it in person but it might grow on me.
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:13 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

The Mall Lander?

I love the front end of the vehicle, the redesigned interior, and upgraded engine is a BIG improvement! However, they totally f-d up the classic roofline. How do you mount a rack system on the vehicle without any rails and that ridiculous moon roof? Although the BMW X-3 and X5 comes equipped with the same feature...so maybe it's a BMW thing? The rear door also looks ridiculously unfinished without the rear tire...but at least it swings down now?

I guess FORD wanted to build another glorified grocery getter? I am calling it the Mall Lander...it doesn't deserve to be called the Discovery III.
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I think it's becoming difficult for anyone who likes Rovers, to swallow the reality. Rover continues down a path of being watered down from their original intent and purpose.

Why? Because that's what the market demands.

It's so nice they mounted the spare tire underneath. Isn't that where your spare belongs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
Interesting approach to off roading - having a dial to turn for different conditions - snow/rock crawl/mud and ruts etc. Just wish that instead of pretty pictures it would say what each setting actually does to the suspension, ride height etc. Nobody will seriously off road these things anyway - and the approach departure angles will ensure on the first trip it'll get bashed to bits. Land Rover might never make money on a real off roader but the positive spin off effect on the marketability of the rest of the poseur range is huge. Without the core off roader the image of the rest of the range is downgraded and it becomes no different from Ford, Honda and Toyota. Without the reliability fo the latter two either.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

The Range Stormer is also going to have the same type of technical driving feature...could become a LR standard, which would not be so bad. However, it does take a little bit of the fun out of white knuckle driving.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:35 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

An't opinions great?!!!!

Opinions are like A$$-holes EVERYBODY has one!!

I don't know if I like it or not but I will not judge it off road until I see it in action. No its not a Defender, But we all know what its like to drive Defenders X-country, they suck! On the rocks in moab or trails in Colorado their great.

When the Disco II first came out everyone bitched that they had a huge rear overhang, and no center diff lock. But on most trails they left the Disco I's in the dust because the traction control was superior. We are hearing the same chatter about the LR3 / Disco 3 independent suspensions and to much plastic.

I have seen in person the New Range Rover do some pretty amazing stuff on the rocks in Moab with its independent suspension and traction control.

Yes Brian in may be a Mall Lander, but its what the market wants. and Land Rover i am pretty sure, at least since they were bought by Ford, is in the Profit Making Business.

They will probably amaze us on the trails too, at least I am hoping so.

"Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"--Denis Miller

PS- I will NEVER give up my Defender!
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by mhansen When the Disco II first came out everyone bitched that they had a huge rear overhang, and no center diff lock. But on most trails they left the Disco I's in the dust because the traction control was superior. We are hearing the same chatter about the LR3 / Disco 3 independent suspensions and to much plastic.
I dont agree with that at all and I have owned both a D2 and a D1. My preferance was for the D1.

Run a hard trail in a D2, once with their CDL engaged and then without it engaged and then tell me that there is no advantage of having the ability of locking a CDL. Quite a differance of how they take the obsticles and from the CDL engaged D2s I have been on the trail with, smoke the unlocked D2s.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:35 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

wow

keeping my 90 & the wife's 2003 Disco forever, the new one is sort of Freelanderish and the classic safari window is gone
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:44 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisvonc
I Run a hard trail in a D2, once with their CDL engaged and then without it engaged and then tell me that there is no advantage of having the ability of locking a CDL. Quite a difference of how they take the obstacles and from the CDL engaged D2s I have been on the trail with, smoke the unlocked D2s.
I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that is why LR progressed to having the CDL in the '04 Discos. I also have a Disco II and I have locked the CDL too ( have the burn scars on my arm to prove it )

In MY OPINION (key words here -my- and -opinion-) Stock Disco 1 vs stock Disco 2 I would take the Disco 2 any day.
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:07 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Mike...I agree with you about opinions. However, after owning both a Discovery Series I and Discovery Series II...the LR3 looks like a pretty radical departure to me.

I just drove my Defender out to Colorado from California...it was a miserable experience. I frooze my arse off on the way out through Utah, almost ran out of gas, tweaked my back, couldn't hear the radio to save my life, almost ran out of gas again, and was too hot on the way back through Arizona. However, I have now owned 4 Defenders and quite simply...cannot find another better suited for my lifestyle.

Discovery's are like ###holes...everyone has them, especially in Southern California.

Old April 16th, 2004, 05:09 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

vehicle
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:05 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I read an article in Automobile and have developed the following opinion. This is what the market wants - give it to them in ONE model. I think it would be pretty good to go radical with the street and recognise that this is a street rover (just keep calling it a *range* rover, not a *land* rover . Go all out this route and keep that market segment happy, keep selling rovers.
Do NOT apply the same rules and followup to water down mallify the basic 'original' 4x4 - Defender. MY Opinion on this...
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
One of the websites I frequent is VW Vortex, a Volkswagen enthusiasts website, and they recently updated the site with their NY Int'l Auto Show coverage. Below is what they wrote about the LR3. Interesting to know how the non-LR enthusiasts see the LR3.

Quote:

From VWVortex Coverage of NY Auto Show

Don’t ask us why Land Rover is renaming the Discovery in the United States. For some reason, LR3 is more appealing to the land of SUV buyers and we just don’t know why. Etiher way, this handsome and all-new vehicle bears more than a passing resemblance to its big brother the Range Rover. All-new architecture from Ford Motor Company and a tuned Jaguar-sourced V8 both assure the new SUV will be no poseur . We’ll still miss the Discovery nameplate though, as well as the outgoing truck’s “Safari” windows.

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:40 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
more details in Top gear Magazine..variable hill descent control, locking rear diff, variable centre diff, adjustable air suspension with cross links, traction control, magnetic video camera, front wheel direction indicator, terrain response system - adjusting ride height, drivetrain etc to suit selectable conditions (you mean the camera does not see them and adjust automatically....) and so on including some great looking engines (a twin turbo V6 diesel even and a 300 bhp gasser). All this should conspire to result in real off road prowess. BUT....114 inch wheel base is too long, all this computerized wizardry...what if it goes wrong, I wonder what size tires it'll cope with, excessively long rear overhang (though way better than Disco II). I want all this technology fitted to a Defender like body. And it should have an aluminum full space frame construction, incorporating roll bar protection, and with self coloured bolt on bump resistant polymer panels, oh and bead locker wheels as an option. and some kind of back up should all electricals fail, oh and front and rear winches with some kind of side pulling facility, nd an on board air compressor....keep on dreaming
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:57 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Too bad LR is missing the boat....

http://www.cars.com/news/stories/042...ory&aff=boston
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:49 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

That article makes me sick, Dave. The only offerings LR features are themed grill guards and running boards. The company is completely ceding the off-road market, and LR3 is another step in the wrong direction. Make one maybe two vehicles to address the SUV/crossover segment, but don't ruin the brand identity. Once the fad is over, LR will have nothing left of distinction.

I've seen the tests where a new Range Rover "beat" a Defender Td5. But please, who really will be seeing these new models in the desert for the next 40 years. Most owners of 2nd gen Range Rovers had to bail for maintenance costs, and I can't imagine this getting any better.

Looking back, I think the '93-'94 time period was really a defining period for LR in the US. The quality was not the best, but the vehicle line-up will likely not be matched again - Disco I, Defender, and Range Rover Classic. Something for all budgets and interests, with each vehicle truly being a LR for all its worth.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:26 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Robert...I sadly couldn't agree with you more. LRNA has completely missed the mark with their new vehicle lineup. Sure they might be technologically and stylistically superior...but they are a far cry from the vehicle's original intent and the purpose for which they were created.

This was taken from the www.landrover.com/future website detailing the new LR3's redesigned center console....

"Because food and refreshment are such an important part of many trips, the LR-3 is well endowed with storage facilities and holders for all seven passengers' cups and drinks. Large cup holders abound and the doors have storage facilities for drinks too."

It's a good thing that they made oversized cup holders and storage facilities (ha) for all of those super-sized McDonkeysh1t beverages, double mocha latte's, and Wendy's combos these vehicles will be toting around. What a shame...they completely missed the mark. This vehicle does not deserve to be called a Land Rover...let alone Discovery III on it's placard.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Having not seen or driven the new LR3, it would be wrong of me to slam it. But I don't see how this truck is in anyway unique from the VW/Porsche or Mercedes approach, among others, to four wheel drive - heavy on technology, intended for conversation, not use.

LR needs the Freelander and a crossover to maintain brand volume. But what does the brand have distinctive remaining now - other than being English and retelling a storied past of selling 4x4's throughout the former British Empire. Reminds me of Jeep and their contrived brand association with the Army, WWII, D-Day, etc. Like Jeep, who hasn't produced an actual Army jeep in 40 years (the Mutt excluded, but wasn't really a Jeep), LRNA will offer nothing that wouldn't look utterly ridiculous on a safari. Can anyone picture Jim and Marlin from Wild Kingdom riding around in LR3?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3