LR versus Santana - any issues buying one over the other? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:55 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

LR versus Santana - any issues buying one over the other?

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and thinking about buying a Series or Defender station wagon model. I'm not afraid of LHD (and have driven that way before anyway) but I see a handful of Santana RHD models available.

My question is, is it harder to get parts for a Santana than a LR? Especially after 1983 (I think) when Santana's LR license expired, it seems that's when differences started to creep in.

Thoughts? It'd be handy to get a RHD but I don't want to buy something I'll have a lot more trouble maintaining and repairing because of trouble finding parts, if that's indeed the case with the Santana models.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.d View Post
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and thinking about buying a Series or Defender station wagon model. I'm not afraid of LHD (and have driven that way before anyway) but I see a handful of Santana RHD models available. My question is, is it harder to get parts for a Santana than a LR? Especially after 1983 (I think) when Santana's LR license expired, it seems that's when differences started to creep in. Thoughts? It'd be handy to get a RHD but I don't want to buy something I'll have a lot more trouble maintaining and repairing because of trouble finding parts, if that's indeed the case with the Santana models. Thanks!
You know this is an American centered forum where LHD is the norm?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Yes, it's definitely harder to find Santana parts than LR parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:02 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

Yes, I do, thanks Jason. Not sure what that means to the validity of the question though...?

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 03:06 PM ------

Thanks Zack. I did a search on the site for "Santana" before posting and didn't find anything exactly on point.

That said, the few things I did see seemed to gloss over the difference, and suggest that most models, the parts are either exactly the same, or can be made to work. (The "made to work" will be hard for me as a complete newbie, but I get the concept.)

But to my mind - well, I'm seeing late 1980s Santanas and feeling tempted, but don't want to buy something that will be hard to source parts for. I was wondering if they were priced lower than similar LHD LR models because of this potential problem.

Anyway, thanks for your response! I'm definitely interested in hearing what everyone has to say since I know literally only that which I found on Wikipedia. I.e. not much and probably half wrong...
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:30 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Keep in mind that while Santanas look like Land Rovers, they are definitely not Land Rovers.
Completely different company in a different part of the globe.
If you want a Defender, buy a Defender and not a Santana.
Maybe you should come to Nova Happy Hour next month and get to know the locals who can help you in both finding and maintaining one.

There's a Santana at a stealership around the corner from me and it has just sat there for a year or so. He wants 18 for it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Santanas are VERY DIFFERENT. Most early ones have drum brake instead of disk brakes, leaf sprung chassis as opposed to coil springs. Electrics, dashboard, seats, roof is all different and very hard to find replacement parts. I would never buy one !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EMAIlL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:34 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So I have to ask...why are you considering a Santana, exactly?

1. Because Defenders are too expensive for you?
2. Because you actually want a Santana?
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:38 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

Thanks Bill!

So on Wikipedia they say that Santana models are basically just kit-built LRs until 1983, when Santana lost its license to do that. Hence the confusion on my part about just how closely related to actual LRs they might be. ("The Santana Motor company built Series Land Rovers under license in CKD form (Complete Knocked Down kits); essentially parts were shipped over from the Land Rover factory in Solihull and the Land Rovers were built up from this 'kit' at the Santana factory in Spain.") But again, relying on Wikipedia was probably my first mistake...

I'll take you up on the happy hour invite - I'm excited to get started by jumping right in and buying, but I know pretty much nothing, so I'm also trying to fix my knowledge deficit!
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I'm not afraid of LHD (and have driven that way before anyway) but I see a handful of Santana RHD models available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
You know this is an American centered forum where LHD is the norm?
Quote:
Yes, I do, thanks Jason. Not sure what that means to the validity of the question though...?

Nearly impossible to believe he has driven a LHD in VA.....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:44 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

Thanks Michael - see, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

Ed, you forgot option #3:

3. Because I don't know anything yet!

But perhaps you were being too nice to say that. I'll say it! But yes, re your question, I was noticing that the Santana models were less expensive. - and no, I don't particularly "want" a Santana. At first the lower prices seemed awesome (of course), but then critical thinking kicked in to make me ask why they'd be less expensive. Hence this post, really. Just trying to do my research before I lay out any cash.

Basically I just want something I can trail ride with (I have a daily driver) and learn how to turn a wrench on. (It doesn't have to be a LR, but I'm very partial to them.) And before today my info. all came from eBay and Wikipedia. I fully acknowledge the insufficiency of those sources, so here I am. Anyway, thanks for asking, and thanks in advance if you have more to say about it.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
np, just wanted to be sure before we started throwing answers at you.

It would have been a waste of time to try to talk you out of getting a Santana if you were dead set on purchasing one.

My opinion:

Buy a Defender.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

AHA now I see that I am exactly the idiot Jason and John think I am - I switched the LHD and RHD on my posts. D'OH
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Wow John, it's as though people can't go elsewhere in the world and drive LHD there. Isn't it possible to believe anyone's driven a LHD in Virginia, since this is a LHD Defender forum, as was so kindly pointed out to me? You're right, I must be a complete idiot.
Okay Matt.... I will explain....

We are having fun with you and you do not seem to be catching on....

All cars in the USA are LHD (left hand drive). I've guessing you are mixed up on the terms.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:53 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
I think the reason for Jason writting that was because you said you were not afraid of LHD and you have driven them before.

LHD is the norm so not sure why anyone in the states would be afraid of one.

Good luck in your search though.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:57 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

Thanks Ed! Honestly I'm concerned I'm too dead set on buying a Defender and that I'll get in over my head. Again, I'm brand new to this.

But no, I only "discovered" Santanas because of my search for LRs (Series and Defenders). The ones I've seen on eBay look nice and being in decent shape for a lower price I was considering them. (Especially after reading what I did on Wikipedia that made them seem pretty much identical until 1983.) I want to learn how to turn a wrench, yes, but not on a dead car / full resto on my first wrench turn out the gate.

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 04:02 PM ------

Yep - sorry John - I was being the idiot who didn't know he was being an idiot. Which is the worst kind. Tried to catch it but too slow! Apologies.

And thanks Chris.

You guys know how you can literally read something over and over again and not see that's it's wrong, I assume? That --> me, now. Sorry guys.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:16 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Matt - welcome! You came to the right place. Definitely come to the NoVA HH, but you may not be able to escape the Land Rover disease after seeing so many well-preserved Rovers in one place. This forum is an amazing resource, and folks are friendly and helpful, though if you say something stupid/silly, you may not live it down for a while...

As another person that wants a Defender, Santana's have an appeal to me, but I would never be content on having a Santana only and not a real Defender. I may get a Santana, but only after I get a Defender first.

Quote:
Thanks Ed! Honestly I'm concerned I'm too dead set on buying a Defender and that I'll get in over my head. Again, I'm brand new to this.

But no, I only "discovered" Santanas because of my search for LRs (Series and Defenders). The ones I've seen on eBay look nice and being in decent shape for a lower price I was considering them. (Especially after reading what I did on Wikipedia that made them seem pretty much identical until 1983.) I want to learn how to turn a wrench, yes, but not on a dead car / full resto on my first wrench turn out the gate.

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 04:02 PM ------

Yep - sorry John - I was being the idiot who didn't know he was being an idiot. Which is the worst kind. Tried to catch it but too slow! Apologies.

And thanks Chris.

You guys know how you can literally read something over and over again and not see that's it's wrong, I assume? That --> me, now. Sorry guys.

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Also, if you do get one, don't call Rovers North asking for Santana parts....I will despise you.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
pl626
Peter

Registry
Quote:
...I'm concerned I'm too dead set on buying a Defender and that I'll get in over my head...
It may be too late already...for your own sanity, remember LR ownership is a labor of love, not an investment. If you use 'investment' when talking about LR ownership, you're going to be disappointed. However, if you approach it as a labor of love, you won't have any regrets, unless you sell your Rover...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:31 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
You came to the right place. Definitely come to the NoVA HH, but you may not be able to escape the Land Rover disease after seeing so many well-patina'd Rovers in one place. This forum is an amazing resource, and folks are friendly and helpful, though if you say something stupid/silly, you may not live it down for a while...
Fixed that for you.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
pl626
Peter

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Fixed that for you.
Thx - that is the word I've been using as an excuse not to respray my RRC...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'02 Hobie Getaway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
buying