LR versus Santana - any issues buying one over the other? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Matt D... Santana's before 1983 are a moderately different, but not extremely different.
Some Parts are much harder to obtain.
Other parts are exactly the same.
I would stay away from them.
If you are new to Land Rovers, then you'll have enough trouble dealing with one built in England.
Any unique parts have to be custom make or searched for in Spain and elsewhere where they were exported.
All because Santana has shut down and the old tooling was shipped to Iran.

After 1983 they went in an unlicensed direction away from their Solihull cousins.
Fast forward to the last Santana built Land Rover the PS-10, a rebadged Iveco Massif.
Nice engine, but a completely different vehicle.
You may get one of the tires to fit a UK built Land Rover, but that's about it.

I do have a few Iveco engines and am fitting one to a 110 currently.
Will post some pictures.
The Left motor mount was a tight fit making it tough.
The right will be much easier.
Using the Mercedes hydraulic filled motor mounts!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:17 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
This forum is an amazing resource, and folks are friendly and helpful, though if you say something stupid/silly, you may not live it down for a while...
Thanks Peter! Though with the level of stupid I evidenced I might have made myself immortal! Awesome /s

Anyway, thanks for your response, very helpful. And I'm definitely not doing this as an investment - well, at least not an investment in anything more than just my own entertainment and education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Matt D... Santana's before 1983 are a moderately different, but not extremely different.
Some Parts are much harder to obtain.
Other parts are exactly the same.
I would stay away from them.
Robert - thanks! That was the impression I got from the small amount of research I'd managed to do before finding this forum - that pre-'83 they were not extremely different. But all the advice on here has been, like yours, to stay away. And when I read what happened to the Santana company that makes perfect sense. I don't want to get into this only to find I can't get parts. Save a little money up front only to put myself in a worse position down the road. No thanks.

So thanks for your response! Please do post pics though, I'm very curious about how it went and is going trying to fit that motor into the Santana. And good luck as you continue!
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:36 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.d View Post
Please do post pics though, I'm very curious about how it went and is going trying to fit that motor into the Santana. And good luck as you continue!
I am actually fitting the Iveco engine used in the Santa into a UK built Land Rover.
I'll post some pictures this weekend on a separate thread.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
buying