Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

LR Resources: I-5 Corridor, OR / CA ?

Hello all:
Am heading south to So. Calif. from Seattle in a couple of weeks. Have made the drive many times before, but never in a D. I'm a fanatic about maintenance and the truck runs fine, but.... I was wondering if any Oregon and Calif guys had suggestions on independent LR shops or dealers that you like along I-5 in the event of a problem I can't repair "in the field".... Am bringing the usual array of tools, trail/recovery gear and assorted spare parts along, (of course the part that breaks won't be among them...).

I've heard positive feedback about Ship's Mechanical and LR Portland in northern OR, but have no clue south of there. Any suggestions / feedback sincerely appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Garth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I do San Francisco to LA all the time in the D, and I can`t think of anything between San Jose, Ca and the San Fernando Valley, along 1, 5, or 101.

There is Frank at Cerrone`s in Redwood City, Ca, about 30-45 minutes south of San Francisco (http://cerronesons.com/) and a dealer in Redwood City and another in Santa Clara (about another 20-30 minutes south of Redwood City).

There are all sorts of shops in Southern California, but as far as in route... not much (at least that I am aware of) for a good 350 miles.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Off the 5 FWY a little ways, but if you are in Riverside I would strongly suggest Gordon at Inland Rovers 951-354-5400. Top notch mechanic and all around good guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97D90
Off the 5 FWY a little ways, but if you are in Riverside I would strongly suggest Gordon at Inland Rovers 951-354-5400. Top notch mechanic and all around good guy!

Seriously so. This guy has gone so far out of his way for me in the past.

I kind of assumed that you`d have known about him if you are headed to Palm Springs, but I guess I should have thought about the fact that you said you`d never driven the D down there.

BTW I saw your 90 there a couple times, Andrew. That thing is looking amazing. I`d have called you to go out on a run at some point while I was down there, but sh*t kept breaking. I`ll be down there a bit this summer, we`ll have to see about putting a run together.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Dont forget Shane Ballensky in Redding - if your butt falls of on I5 he might be a resource.
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I think rover owners are the only people who plan a trip by plotting out repair locations along the way.

:-)

Ron
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Kinda sad isn't it!
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I think rover owners are the only people who plan a trip by plotting out repair locations along the way.

:-)

Ron
Wow, Ron; you're right!! Never thought about it like that.
I'd been thinking about the posts for emergency help from guys on the road who've suffered a mechanical failure en route and, understandably, don't know where to go locally for parts or to get it fixed.

That has to be a most humbling (and profanity inducing) experience....

Fact is, I trust the recommendations of local D owners way more than I trust the probability of successfully stumbling ass-backward on to a good LR source in unfamiliar territory on my own.....

Garth
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Seriously so. This guy has gone so far out of his way for me in the past.

I kind of assumed that you`d have known about him if you are headed to Palm Springs, but I guess I should have thought about the fact that you said you`d never driven the D down there.

BTW I saw your 90 there a couple times, Andrew. That thing is looking amazing. I`d have called you to go out on a run at some point while I was down there, but sh*t kept breaking. I`ll be down there a bit this summer, we`ll have to see about putting a run together.
Nathan-

Thanks for the kind words! Let me know the dates you are in town and I'll make sure we hit a few trails. Even if the $h&t$ broken let me know your in town, beers on me!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:52 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

After you leave Sacramento going south there is not much until you get close to L.A. If you were to veer over to 101 you would have assistance in Paso Robles and again in Santa Barbara.

Even though the drive is longer (perhaps 1.5 - 2 hrs.), 101 is actually scenic and you could hit Gilroy for garlic, Pismo for the dunes and Santa Ynez for wine (think the movie Sideways).

Skip the house of mud and cousin Eddie's house along the way.

Good luck.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:50 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97D90
Nathan-

Thanks for the kind words! Let me know the dates you are in town and I'll make sure we hit a few trails. Even if the $h&t$ broken let me know your in town, beers on me!
I`m probably screwing myself in saying this, but the D is holding up pretty well now. The entire 6 months I was in LA, I only got to actually hit the trails once- and I only did that with a spare LT230 and appropriate wrenches, ratchet straps and fluids in the back, just incase. I was just waiting for that tcase to crap out on me.

I`ll definitely let you know next time I`m through LA. There were all sorts of trails I wanted to check out while I was down there, but obviously didn`t get around to it.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Exactly what I was looking for!
G
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
BeachBum
Paul Schuetz
1991 Range Rover

There's XK's Unlimited in San Luis Obispo, great shop for mainly Jags but the head Tech Chris has taken care of my Classic and D for years when I lived in Shell Beach. There are a couple of shops in Bakersfield that I've used while passing through. Valencia has British Pacific and there are so many rover shops in the OC it's rediculous.

Later, Paul
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Exactly what I was looking for!
G
Where are you ending up? If you get by Temecula, drop me a line!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:27 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Here is a great site that allows you to search for a mechanic local to you.
http://www.bushducks.com/search/search.asp#country

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat