Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LR Dealership in Northern NJ -- need help!

My parents have my LR3 up in NJ and the right rear brake locked up/dragging really bad so I plan to have them take it to a dealership since I still have a warranty on the truck. Paul Miller in Parsippany is the closest to them but wasn't sure how they were to deal with. Any recommendations or a service person to deal with?

Being a little hesitant because I know the run around one of my local dealerships has given me on items while another is great to deal with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Tom likes LR Paramus I believe. Paul Miller is OK - the service center is nothing special though. Nor is the overall service. My buddy bought an LR3 from them and the experience sucked. They prepped the car for him and in the process somehow sliced the rear of his seat open and didn't say anything until we brought it up. Another guy with Defender 90 beluga black # 2012 had his there for almost a year as they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They dropped the tank 2-3 times he told me.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:41 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

There is a release cable under the rubber coin holder but you'll need ti pull real hard to get it to release.

if you didnt trash the rotor or shoe you should be able to re-seat the parking break and should be good to go. Directions are on the Web, let know if you can't find them and ill email them to you
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:43 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
My parents have my LR3 up in NJ and the right rear brake locked up/dragging really bad so I plan to have them take it to a dealership since I still have a warranty on the truck. Paul Miller in Parsippany is the closest to them but wasn't sure how they were to deal with. Any recommendations or a service person to deal with?

Being a little hesitant because I know the run around one of my local dealerships has given me on items while another is great to deal with
LR Paramus, look for the tall Redheaded guy (knows LR's) not the short fat guy (who knows Jag's). I think his name is Martin or Marty in parts. Don't go straight to the service writers.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:47 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
There is a release cable under the rubber coin holder but you'll need ti pull real hard to get it to release.

if you didnt trash the rotor or shoe you should be able to re-seat the parking break and should be good to go. Directions are on the Web, let know if you can't find them and ill email them to you
My father told me that it was glowing so I assume the rotor is toast! If I were there I would take a crack at it but unfortunately I'm not and pops is handy but not the best with a wrench!
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Did someone just do rear brakes on it? We get LR3/4's and RRS's towed in all the time not long after someone replaced the rear brakes and either improperly adjusted the parking brake, or broke the shoes while removing the rotor. I've seen it cause lots of damage, anything from ruined brake rotors (common) to melted parking brake actuator cables (not so common) and even one wheel bearing.

Good luck!
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
LR Paramus, look for the tall Redheaded guy (knows LR's) not the short fat guy (who knows Jag's). I think his name is Martin or Marty in parts. Don't go straight to the service writers.
Thanks Tom!

------ Follow up post added April 8th, 2013 05:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Did someone just do rear brakes on it? We get LR3/4's and RRS's towed in all the time not long after someone replaced the rear brakes and either improperly adjusted the parking brake, or broke the shoes while removing the rotor. I've seen it cause lots of damage, anything from ruined brake rotors (common) to melted parking brake actuator cables (not so common) and even one wheel bearing.

Good luck!
Brakes were done about 10k miles ago and up until now, no problems
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Brakes were done about 10k miles ago and up until now, no problems
They usually fail suddenly. There would be no way to tell if a badly adjust parking brake could have caused it. More often then not, the parking brake shoes just fall apart and cause the brake to lock up. The majority of the time this happens is when some other shop has done rear brakes.
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

LR

If the rear rotors were replaced and the bedding procedure was not followed to the letter this is an inevitable failure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat