Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
LR Dealer Off-Road Course

This letter was just forwarded by a friend earlier today and it's probably not something he's looking to "brag" about, I felt it was too awesome and it needed to be shared.
....and no, it wasn't me that this letter was addressed to in case you're thinking that it was.

It was fairly benign-sounding until the writer stated "common sense doesn't always prevail" essentially calling this guy an idiot. I don't blame the dealer for being concerned and I guess a letter is better than a summons for tresspassing (even if the letter is a bit punchy).

Not a big deal and I understand the point of the letter, so I'm not lookingto starta big battle over who's right and wrong, just that it sounds funny when you hear somebody basically state that a new Range Rover is more safe and capable off road than a Defender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR of Hanover.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	75763  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
In a lot of ways a newer Rover would be more capable than a 17 or so year old Defender on a course designed for newer Rovers. Locking center and rear diffs, incredible traction control, and wider track gives it the advantage. Basically the letter states that even with this guy's insane amount of off road training, he still can't drive.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2013 11:45 AM ------

Wow looks crazy, I can't imagine anyone driving a Defender over that!!!

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Reading the letter, this has nothing to do with defenders, accomplished drivers, or off road capabilities. The dealer has a property feature only meant for controlled access. Given hypothetical scenarios, it wouldn't be entirely far fetched to imagine him needing warning signs and a gate to mitigate exposure should someone else have the same idea.
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Yes, Zack you have a point, with air suspension, the newer LR/RRs are more suited to these goofy, off-camber obstacles than anything with a solid axle.

I don't see myself wanting to tackle that off-camber feature with my 110. I don't have the articulation needed with the stiff springs.

Like I said, the guy who wrote the letter has a valid point, I just thought it was hysterical regardless.
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:48 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Here's another scenario...
Say you own a piece of land. This is in an area that is used by hunters and ATVers. One day one or two of them come onto your property and drive into a big hole you dug with your backhoe and one dies and the other ends up with a TBI. Your No Tresspassing signs and chain across the road were ignored, they just drove right on in anyway. They sue you for having an unmarked hazard on your land and they win to the tune of 4 million dollars.
So what is to keep your friend from doing the exact same thing tomorrow and actually breaking his neck? Not one damn thing. Plus, he can collect!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:06 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Have they changed the courses significantly? I recall that when my dad bought his Defender in 97 they let him do laps on course, in forward and reverse.
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I used to take D90's over our test tracks no problem, but I would not recommend doing it in a NAS 110. With the full external cage and rack, the 110 was just way too top heavy for the side tilt demonstration on the course.

Oh, and we never let customers drive themselves over the course. They were always driven by a trained sales guide. We actually blocked both ends of the course with vehicles at night to prevent teenagers (etc.) from trying the track out after hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I just did it in an LR4 a few weeks ago.
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This really comes down to insurance risk, and that is all he should have pointed out to the driver as an existing land rover owner in the ideal world. But many dealerships have lost that intangible climate of Land Rover family. To them, Land Rover family refers to their current product line. When I first got into Land Rovers back in 1997, the climate at the dealership was all about the extended family to include current and past products, as well as the owners of all Land Rover products. When I went into a dealership back then after I had bought my D1, they made me feel like I was walking into my own home every time.

I think some dealerships are still like that, especially out West like in NV, UT, CO from what I can tell. Out here in the East though, your just a warranty claim they want to get rid of the moment you drive off the lot. You value to them drops just like the bluebook value in those first 10 minutes.

Very dissapointing. It's this exact same reason (or at least one of them) why I left Jeep. At that time, I had a CJ, and I felt like an adopted stepchild going to a Jeep dealership back then.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2013 01:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I used to take D90's over our test tracks no problem, but I would not recommend doing it in a NAS 110. With the full external cage and rack, the 110 was just way too top heavy for the side tilt demonstration on the course.

Oh, and we never let customers drive themselves over the course. They were always driven by a trained sales guide. We actually blocked both ends of the course with vehicles at night to prevent teenagers (etc.) from trying the track out after hours.
All that logic is sound to me, but how this letter was written to an existing Land Rover owner, versus someone in another brand driving over the test track without permission are two very different scenarios.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 12th, 2013, 02:09 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

seems to be a reasonable letter to me. Driver stating there was no sign makes me think he's probably a douche. Even without a sign I'm sure he realized the track was for dealership use only. probably recently bought the Defender and now thinks he is
" the man" .
Old July 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
there is no doubt he should have asked first, regardless of the dealers response.

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
seems to be a reasonable letter to me. Driver stating there was no sign makes me think he's probably a douche. Even without a sign I'm sure he realized the track was for dealership use only. probably recently bought the Defender and now thinks he is
" the man" .
This is exactly the type of uninformed comment I was hoping to avoid. Total D-Web comment.

Driver actually has 3 or 4 Ds and had a TD5 before you even knew it existed.

Of course he knew it was off-limits, that's not the point. It was just an amusing, pissed off letter.
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Does that sign on the fence post in the picture say "Rovers Only"? If so, that would be true irony

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I think the letter is acceptable, but I would have walked out there and handled it personally myself. I would have bullshitted with the guy afterwards and try to keep peace. The letter was just a little too cowardly in my opinion. The fun thing would be to run out there and block the exit and make them back out

We keep both ends of our courses closed off at night, because we have recieved that 2am phone call where someone thought their Honda Civic was undefeatable.

I have taken my D90 over our course several times, and it's a walk in the park. Mine isn't exactly stock though. I'm looking forward to our Land Rover Mountain event this year in the D90!
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I know I haven't seen very many of these things, but of all that I have I cannot say that they looked like you'd be in any serious danger of rolling, flipping or otherwise doing any damage to yourself or your vehicle. Heck I think I could get the Elantra over one of those humps.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I know I haven't seen very many of these things, but of all that I have I cannot say that they looked like you'd be in any serious danger of rolling, flipping or otherwise doing any damage to yourself or your vehicle. Heck I think I could get the Elantra over one of those humps.
I can promise the Elantra would be see-saw'ing after the first 20 feet of ours...
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Some clown in his dad's jeep showed up after hours and tried to drive the course at the dealership in Boise.

They found him the next morning, with the jeep on its side, pinning him down by his arm.

He lived.

They built a security fence around the course.

This is why!
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:51 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Several years back I was driving past the LR dealer by my house at about 7:00 AM. I saw a huge crane lifting off a Volvo SUV from the top of their test track peak. Apparently it high centered and couldn't get itself off. I wish I had a photo, it was before IPhones were invented. I think they blocked access to the course shortly there after.
Here is what the track looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	190752481_rBr5a-L.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	75799   Click image for larger version

Name:	190733599_gfzTG-L.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	75800  

Old July 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Cameraman accurately predicts what is going to happen...

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Cameraman accurately predicts what is going to happen...

nice Holland & Holland!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat